Why specs don't matter.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrX8503, Oct 2, 2014.

1. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

http://youtu.be/nCln9_mgZJo

iPhone 6 1min faster than the SGS5. Even with 2GB of ram, the SGS5 still had to reload its apps where the iPhone with its 1GB blazed through it. Safari still had to reload, but overall the iPhone came out on top.

HTC One M8 had an impressive showing too. It did much better than the SGS5 and may be due to the SGS5 throttling its SoC. HTC with its full metal body doesn't have to throttle its SoC.

Don't believe the spec hype and use your phone in the real world.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never looked at the specs, other then how well the screen looks and behaves, i.e., does it work well in sunlight.

I think most modern phones perform just fine, so its pointless to look so closely at specs. You need to view the entire package to see if the phone fits your needs.

3. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Go post this on an Android forum not here.

They are the ones who need the memo.

4. CoilTap macrumors regular

Yeah, more people need to understand that comparing specs between different architectures and different OSes is a fool's errand.

A processor with two cores and a low clock speed can blow away a quad core with a higher clock speed if the latter processor is less efficient and processes fewer instructions per clock cycle.

Add that to the fact that on the iOS side you have vertical integration with the OS and hardware and you get a level of tuning you can't come close to with an OS designed to run on a variety of hardware. In the Apple scenario you can squeeze much more out of a much smaller hardware profile.

5. muggerfugger macrumors regular

muggerfugger

Just shows you that you can't really compare the speed and performance based on hardware between platforms. Especially when one side makes most of their own hardware.

Things run entirely differently.

6. nouspa macrumors member

I thought android had better multitasking (at least that is what android fans keep saying), seems like there is none :rolleyes:

7. Daniel L, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

Daniel L macrumors 6502

I have the 6+ and I think this test is unfair to the Android phones. Just to throw something out there, iOS screenshots the screen of the app where you leave it. It loads up the screenshot even if the app isn't in memory and holds it there while it loads the app. I doubt the apps were fully loaded before the guy switched to the next app.

Try it for yourself, load up facebook, scroll down. Load up 4 other apps, switch back to facebook. You'll see it load up the Facebook app showing exactly what you were looking it then Facebook goes blank and refreshes.