Why still 16GB?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by vistokid, Jun 9, 2017.

1. vistokid macrumors 6502

I don't understand why they wouldn't change the storage tiers for the Touch. Everything else is 32GB minimum now. You would think the music players base models would be even higher storage than iPhones etc. So odd. Like it's completely forgotten.

I keep expecting a silent announcement but nothing. One day they will dump the 16GB and 32GB and start at 64GB. Just a matter of when.

2. UL2RA macrumors 6502a

UL2RA

3. vistokid thread starter macrumors 6502

HAHA... I just find it really funny now. Like 16GB! The Nano should start at 32GB and the Touch 64GB. That's a no brainer to me.

4. mwhals macrumors 6502

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The iPod Touch 6 was released awhile ago when all IOS products started at 16GB. Don't expect an iPod Touch update at least until the current Touch will not run the latest IOS (assuming if they even update it again). If 16GB isn't enough and you want an iPod Touch 6, feel free to purchase one with a bigger capacity (up to 128GB). Chances are that the current iPod Touch 6 is the last version of the Touch that Apple will sell. Then you can buy an iPhone instead which starts at 32GB.

6. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Some food for thought.
    High expectations will lead to disappointment. This will cover pretty much anything and everything you could have expectations on. People, things.
    Apple does what Apple does. Nothing different.

7. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

As much as I love the iPod touch, I think Apple views it as their red headed step child and does not see the bang for their buck in doing anything with it right now. I, like you though, would like to see the increase in base storage for it though.

8. drysdalk macrumors member

Hi,

I suspect personally that they view the 16GB iPod touch as the “entry level” Apple Music device. In other words, they expect you to be streaming everything and storing nothing locally, and that’s the customer it’s aimed at. So it’s the cheapest piece of native Apple hardware that will give you access to Apple Music (and give Apple access to your recurring revenue in turn). Of course most customers are bound to be disappointed once they run in to the storage limitations once they actually use the device for something else, particularly apps and video. But if you really did just want a dedicated Apple Music device, I suppose it would do perfectly well.

9. v1597psh macrumors regular

v1597psh

The answer is never. One day Apple will get rid of the iPod line up completely. It's such a niche category. I feel this day is coming and nobody will care about iPod anymore. Apple can't be making everything for everyone. iPod had its momentum. So did the iPad mini. And Xserve. It's time for Apple to move into other categories and not making niche products

10. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Don't forget this "niche product" sells more than some other companies flagship product.

11. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Just happened.
    Apple's new iPod touch lineup is priced as following in the United States:

• 32GB: $199
    • 128GB: $299
    • 16GB and 64GB discontinued

12. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

13. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Why is it still 32GB? :p:p

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

My dream nano would be that sturdy little 2nd gen w/ 128GB, I really like that size for tossing into the console of my ancient car and still use some of them that way w/ an FM transmitter. At least I could pare the count down to one. What I do now is load a bunch of them up w/ different genres.

But I'd settle for a storage bump on a recycle of the last nano with FM radio and bluetooth. A 128GB one I'd buy as soon as it showed up in the Store.

15. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

According to Federighi and Schiller this year (I think it was), it's because plenty of customers still get on fine with that amount – Apple does a peppering of little things to keep consumed storage down. App thinning, moving resources to iCloud, new compression formats this year for video and pictures. Presumably the alternative would be cutting the smallest-storage model and leaving the next-smallest with a higher entry price, shirking a bunch of potential customers they say their data shows they have.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm just hoping they release a 1TB iPod touch or something like that.

17. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

They're not going to give it more storage than the iPhone.

18. UL2RA macrumors 6502a

UL2RA

The iPod had more storage than the iPhone for many years. But that's probably not going to happen anymore.

19. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

I'd be inclined to believe this, but that's what they said earlier, but we still got the IpT6

Why not? Didn't the IpT have more storage than the Iph at some point?

20. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

No. The iPod classic did though. They're not gonna have a budget iOS product with more storage than their $1000 product.

21. Hater macrumors regular

Hater

Maybe they've made too many 16GB touches and are waiting for held stock to sell out before moving to 32GB?

22. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

They already moved to 32GB.