Why such a shortage of Xs Apple silicone cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by puma1552, Oct 21, 2018.

1. puma1552 Suspended

Nearly all of the colors have pushed out ship dates, from next week to November to as far out as January.

What's the deal? Can't remember the last time there was such a huge shortage.

2. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

Blue, lavender and stone have a later delivery date. The other 6 would arrive this week if ordered online. Not really a shortage for all of them. It's Sunday the 21st, you order today any of those 6, and it arrives this week. 23rd to the 26th. They aren't going to arrive overnight unless you pay extra. Seems a bit of an exaggeration.

3. puma1552 thread starter Suspended

That's 6/9 colors you can't walk into a store and buy today one month past launch. I'd call that an abnormal shortage based on past precedent. It's been this way for at least a couple weeks too with no signs of improving, shipping dates continue to push out by another day every day.

Red, white, and stone are the only colors you can buy in store today here. Something is wrong with the supply when you can't even buy basic black in store which is a bread and butter, steadfast, non-exciting color that people don't go out and buy in droves all of a sudden like they do with Spicy Orange/Flash/etc.

They generally aren't out of stock in store of 70% of their cases, especially a few weeeks after launch. When else have they been out of 70% of their choices in store? Never that I can remember.

4. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

So, just order online and get it on wednesday. Why the dramatics?

5. puma1552 thread starter Suspended

Why the hostility?

You don't even know what color I may or may not have been interested in, or when it's available. Don't assume it's one of the ones available next week.

I asked a question, if you can't answer it, don't challenge it and just move along.

6. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

You are the one claiming a shortage on all the colors. And you are very wrong. 3 of them are in shortage, the other 6 are not. So quit exaggerating.

7. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Same thing happened last season. There were colors out for 3 months

8. Lizzie W. macrumors newbie

Lizzie W.

I came over to the site today wondering the same thing! I was hoping to pick up a blue case for my dad, but they won’t be available until January. We are spoiled for choice here and have three local Apple stores, so I can’t remember ever having no colored cases on the shelves at any of them. I do like to go to the store to get them instead of shipping; it’s fun. :) I wondered if something might’ve been changed in this year’s silicone. I have the white case for my XS and have had a lot of trouble with staining in just these first couple of weeks. I’ve had white on all my past iPhones since the 6 Plus and they’ve stayed clean as new snow even after a year or two.

Anyway, hoping more stock will come in for us before the holidays. Good luck getting your color, puma!

9. Donnjamin macrumors member

Donnjamin

*edit never mind was looking at the XS max cases my bad

Where are you guys seeing the shortage for silicone cases? On the apple store app I can do pick up at any apple store in 2 days or shipped to me for free in 2 days.

10. Texh49 macrumors 6502

My local store (Phila PA) has barely in stock. They stock them but then sell out even quicker.

11. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502a

Sounds like they're probably not putting much of an emphasis on their accessory division. LOL

12. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I’ve had my silicone cases that I bought last year for my iPhone 7 Plus on up to my 8 Plus crumbling down at the bottom corners. I mean crumbling to pieces. I could understand if they were cases I used heavily but I rotate all of my different cases and most get very light usage. I’ve always used iPhone silicone cases since they were introduced and this crumbling is new to me. My 6s Plus cases I gave to my sister-in-law a couple of years ago are still holding up.

I have a very dark colored iPhone X case that I never even got to use that has stains on it I can’t remove. I don’t even know how it got stained. I only took it out of the package to try it on my X that I ended up returning. It was during Christmas and the box that the case came in was thrown out by mistake in the Christmas chaos so I never returned the case. I set it on a dresser for a short time and then in a box in my desk. I don’t even know what the stain is. It is just a darker blotch. Perhaps I had hand lotion on the day I handled it? I can only guess.

I’m currently using a third party silicone case from an Amazon vendor on my Product Red 8 Plus. It’s been great. Very stain resistant and sturdy. However, it isn’t open at the bottom so it doesn’t have vulnerable corners that could crumble. So it’s not entirely fair to compare it to an Apple silicone case.

I do wonder if Apple noticed a high rate of people bringing broken or stained cases in for replacement and is trying to make a fix. Again, I can only guess. They haven’t said a word about it so that’s all any of us can do.