Why such high page outs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xmichaelp, Feb 23, 2013.

1. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

It is to my understanding that if you have over a GB or so of page outs you should look into upgrading your RAM. It seems I always have a very high number of page outs from my pretty minimal workload.

Since my last restart a couple hours (of use) ago i've accumulated 6.34 gigs of page outs from the following - safari with a max of ~10 tabs open, iTunes, last.fm scrobbler, steam open but haven't played any games, and a little bit of COD 4 from the MAS. Is it getting to the point where you need more than 4 GB's of RAM for some pretty basic stuff?

I don't check my page outs often but it seems it's always pretty high. I seemingly always have free ram open too. If so I have no problem upgrading as I was going to stick 16 GB in anyways when I get into music production but it just seemed a little strange to me.

thanks your your time

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I've heard of memory issues with Safari. That could likely be causing the problem.

3. xmichaelp thread starter macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Thanks, I was aware of the memory leak issue with adblock for safari so that's why I use glimmer blocker. I will look into this.

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

These days four is a little low maybe, even though you may not always use it it's pretty inexpensive to go up to 8gb.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

What does Activity Monitor show? Do any particular apps have high memory usage?

6. johnnnw, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  7. xmichaelp thread starter macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Besides a GB for safari web content, ~250 MB for safari and ~250 for flash everything looks pretty low

8. xmichaelp thread starter macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

bump

I have no problem if i'm really maxing out my ram. It just doesn't seem right.

9. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Do you have the latest MBP? RAM is getting cheaper and cheaper for these models so if you don't notice that it is slowing down then don't worry about it. The smart thing to do would be to join Newegg's email blast list and wait for a great deal on a 16GB set.