Why such varying opinions???

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
I've been reading all the threads the past few days and finally updated to Lion. I have a MacPro 5.1 with 24GB of RAM and a SSD for boot/apps.

Instantly I noticed how much faster everything was running. My mac booted in half the time, literally. Everything in finder, safari, mail, etc is so much zippier.

I know many others have had the opposite effect. After upgrading, things have slowed down, either slightly or considerably.

I guess the differences could be contributed to different hardware, but I would think that as long as the hardware being used fits the requirements of Lion there would not be issues.

What's the deal?

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
You are using a very very powerful mac with lots of memory. Far beyond what the average user will be utilising in Lion. So yes of course your lion should be speedy - it would be a crime if it wasn't given your specs. But those with more down to earth systems (older core duos with 1-2gb ram and 5400rpm drives) may indeed experience a performance drop with Lion especially given it's more reliant use on gpu also.

Admit it you just wanted to boast about your specs didn't you ;) lol

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Remember these forums are mostly filled with problems. Not many post when things go right and work normally. It's only natural. I'm sure at least 90% of the people don't have problems and can accept changes that are in Lion.

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
I'm not boasting :) but yes, I'm happy with my machine.

But I go back go my original point, as long as the mac meets the required specs, the user should be seeing a speed increase.

Plus, I've also read multiple threads where the user is using a very similar setup as mine, mac pro with ample memory and they report issues with speed.

I'm just shocked at the varying levels of success. And I know forums are 90% filled with issues but still.

I wish everyone had the speed increase that I did. It's awesome, I have nothing bad to say about lion. Yeah launchpad sucks, so I won't use it. No biggie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.