Why switch from tiger to leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by starkmac, Jul 28, 2009.

1. starkmac macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about doing an erase and install from tiger to leopard then upgrade to leopard snow in september. I own a mac pro (intel) and was wondering what I would like about leopard better than tiger.

Thanks!

2. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Here's the Apple product info page for Leopard:

Leopard

Basically, what I like about it:

Quick look
    Cover flow
    Spaces

It also has quite a few UI refinements, and the overall look is different. But I'd probably just wait for SL to come out, at this point, and save $30. Also, you don't need to do an erase install.

3. starkmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I bought my mac pro from a photography business and along with the computer came the leopard install disk. So it would be cheaper to install leopard then upgrade when Leopard snow comes out right? And because I bought it from a photography company there's tons of junk on it so I think an erase install would be good to do. I'm a new mac user and I was easily converted. Mac's run so much nicer it's ridiculous!

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

If you already have Leopard, than yes.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Wait, you are wanting to install the Leopard install disks that came with the MacPro you just purchaed from the photography company on an existing computer running Tiger?

If is is the original packaged disks (usually grey) they will only work on the computer that came packaged with. If it is a retail copy of Leopard, it will install on any Mac (though it would be a single user EULA, and your conscience might bother you).

If you have an Intel Mac running Tiger, wait for SL.

6. starkmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point. I'm not sure what I bought. lol! I was brand new to mac when I bought it so I didn't know the right questions to ask. The computer came with a lot of software and it came with the gray Tiger install discs and then I noticed just the other day that there was a single Leopard disk with the bundle of software that was given to me. It was basically just floating around in a paper cd sleeve. I'm guessing the photography company bought the leopard install disk then never upgraded?

Thanks for your replys, I'm still a mac newb and appreciate learning about macs cause they are easily the best computers out there!

7. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Note that I've never used a gray disc, so I might be wrong, but...couldn't you try it out and see if it lets you install? (If I'm wrong, then it might let you install, only to say you can't use it at the end, but that seems messed up.)

8. starkmac thread starter macrumors newbie

We'll see. I've just heard some bad reviews about leopard running cs2 so I hesitate to to go to leopard from tiger not knowing what else it will have problems running.

To clarify eawmp1....when I bought the computer it was running tiger and came with tiger install disks and also came with a single leopard install disk.

Thanks everybody!

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

10. starkmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright! Thanks for your posts! Any other tips are welcome!