Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
Does anyone know why Apple took away the 4gb model of the iPhone? Would it just have been to low of a price with the price drop?

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
No one wanted it. The only advantage it had over the 8GB was price, now that the 8GB is cheaper than the 4GB was, why even bother producing more than one model of iPhone?

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I think it's probably also because we'll see a 16GB model as the top end iPhone soonish. Apple should be getting a good quantity price for 16GB flash chips with the iPod Touch; it'd be odd not to see them drop it into the iPhone.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Most likely the profit on the 4Gb was not enough at 299...they different between a 4Gb and 8GB chip(s) is not 100 USD for Apple.

Apr 10, 2007
the only reason they would is because its not selling, apple has never really discontuined a iPod with smaller capacity so I would imagine it was selling bad

Gwardys

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2006
Basic economics: Consumers vote for the goods that they want produced using dollar votes.

I think it had to be some ridiculously large number of 8 gigs sold compared to the amount of 4 gigs sold.

Readma

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2007
Basically the 4gb and the 8gb would have cost apple pretty much the same amount to make the difference in cost being in the 4 and 8gb memory chips. While we see a rather large difference between the two in the mark up the difference to apple probably is not that large.

I would say apple discontinues it for two reasons.

1. It was not selling.
2. After the price drop in the 8gb people would expect to see a rather large drop in the 4gb as well. Apple knew they could not do this and still turn out a profit so they cut it.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'd imagine it was either cut the price on both models by $100, or cut the price on the superior model by $200. Which looks more attractive to customers who're most likely going to buy the 8GB model anyway? That's the point.

stuff99

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
is 4gb on a phone really not enough space though? Im debating whether or not to get the 4 or the 8gb

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
ive got a 4gb I'll sell you if you are interested. Was going to list it in the marketplace soon to see how much interest there was for it. Basically I ordered it a week before the 8gb dropped so I ordered an 8gb and was set to return the 4gb to apple. Already have an RMA # for it. But before I sent it back wanted to see if anyone here might want it.

After paying the restock fee the most I'll get back is probably $275, so I was going to offer it for 270 shipped. 2 weeks old, had been in a hard case since day 1, does have 1 stuck pixel. I just went to apple today to get a new wall charger as both of the ones I had didnt work.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
ive got a 4gb I'll sell you if you are interested. Was going to list it in the marketplace soon to see how much interest there was for it. Basically I ordered it a week before the 8gb dropped so I ordered an 8gb and was set to return the 4gb to apple. Already have an RMA # for it. But before I sent it back wanted to see if anyone here might want it.

After paying the restock fee the most I'll get back is probably $275, so I was going to offer it for 270 shipped. 2 weeks old, had been in a hard case since day 1, does have 1 stuck pixel. I just went to apple today to get a new wall charger as both of the ones I had didnt work.

Why would you sell it to someone on here for less than you'd get back from Apple? You already have an RMA #, just send it back and get rid of the thing.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Why would you sell it to someone on here for less than you'd get back from Apple? You already have an RMA #, just send it back and get rid of the thing.

Why do you care what I do with it?? $5 less isn't going to make any difference to me. Just thought someone that didnt want to spend 399 on an 8gb may want a 4gb and save $130 from the 8gb price. Thanks for weighing in on what I should do with the phone I bought.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I got the 4Gig one for $299. Price was a factor. I'm very happy with the purchase though...

For me, I guess I might as well. I'm used to a 60Gig 5G iPod with my entire library. So 4Gig vs. 8Gig not a big deal, I'd have to swap files around regardless...

stuff99

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
Im debating whether or not 4gb is enough space for me cause i want to put music photos and vids on...4gb does seem a bit limiting

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
The 8 GB model was by far the more popular model. Apple had to drop the price and it wouldn't be feasible to drop the price of the 4 GB model so it was discontinued.

sjsutton

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
I'm one of the few who purchased the 4G and find it more than adequate. By utilizing the sync options in iTunes, you can easily swap content on a daily basis. The downside to smaller capacity is long trips. Unless you have a laptop with you to sync with, you're going to be stuck with the same content until you sync it up next.

Im debating whether or not 4gb is enough space for me cause i want to put music photos and vids on...4gb does seem a bit limiting

stuff99

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
well now that the canadian dollar is on par with the US it seems even more tempting to get the 8gb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.