Why take so long to show folder files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jlucasvieira, Feb 26, 2013.

1. jlucasvieira macrumors newbie

jlucasvieira

Hello guys, I`m from brazil and i need ur help...

So, i`ve a 15 macbook retina display (8gb ram, 256ssd) and big problem too :/
    When i click in a folder its take so long to show the files and i dont know why. Sometimes it`s take more than a minute.
    I`ve tried i lot of things but none works. I hope someone there can help me whit this problem.

Sorry for my bad english :D

2. Beecker macrumors member

Beecker

You need to explain what "things" you have tired please.

3. jlucasvieira thread starter macrumors newbie

jlucasvieira

Tried to uninstall some programs, cleaned cache, some order things that i found in macrumors forum like try to reduce the grid of the itens. I thinking to repair the OS, if i do not find any solve to this problem but i`m not sure this will solve the problem. I`m newbie in "mac world" :(

4. Beecker macrumors member

Beecker

1. I would try resetting SMC.
    2. Try "verify disk permissions" from the "Disk Utility". If it shows any correction that need to be fixed I would start there.
    3. Go into Activity Monitor and see whats running in the memory. You might need to open Terminal and type "purge" to release the memory not in use.
    4. Could you have clicked something that might have given you an virus. I know their aren't many out there but its possible. That might be slowing down your computer.
    5. How many things are open when this starts to happen?

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

1. SMC has nothing to do with it.

4. Don't scare people with your Virus non sense, there are no (known) viruses for OS X.
    Mac Virus/Malware FAQ - Mac Guides

OP, make a new User Account in Users & Groups in the System Preferences, then login into that account, when you are there, do you have the same problems there?
    If not the normal User Account is affected and can be solved.
    (Did you use any cleaning programs like MacKeeper, CleanMyMac?)

6. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Have you accessed any remote storage recently when you see this problem?

I was getting this when I accidentally navigated to the shortcut for my smb work server but wasn't at work (so the computer couldn't connect). Then I'd just try to browse other folders (locally on my mac) and sometimes it would take forever for the files to appear. Scared the crap out of me and forced me to remove that shortcut so I couldn't accidentally touch it while browsing through the finder.

7. jlucasvieira thread starter macrumors newbie

jlucasvieira

I created a new user and there`s no problem there. So what i`ve to do? Like you said i think the problem is just in one user now haha
    I`ve appcleaner and appdelete.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

They are probably OK, as long as you stay away from MacKeeper and CleanMyMac.
    There is most likely a conflict with so called .plist files in your home Library, by default it is an invisible folder, to make it visible open Terminal and type the following in it and enter, it should be visible now

chflags nohidden /Users/****/Library

**** = your User name

then move the com.Apple.Finder.plist to the desktop (in the ~/Library/Preferences folder and relaunch Finder, you can do this by opening Activity Monitor, click on Finder and quit, it will relaunch by itself, now did this solve the problem?
    If not move the .plist back into the preferences folder.
    (All the finders preferences will be reset after moving the .plist to the desktop)
    If this did not work report back, there is much more you can do.

9. jlucasvieira thread starter macrumors newbie

jlucasvieira

Did not work :(

10. justperry, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

There is a file called .DS_Store on your desktop, it is invisible, delete that one and restart finder.
    Another file could be com.apple.sidebarlists.plist and is also in the preferences folder inside your /Library/preferences folder

Edit: You could also try to log out, then in again but right away after you click enter hold the Shift key, this prevents any 3rd party software from loading, see what happens.

11. jlucasvieira thread starter macrumors newbie

jlucasvieira

I`m note sure if i really deleted the .DS_Store file. How do i do this?
    Nothing happens deleting com.apple.siderbarlists.plist :/
    I already did what u said in EDIT and did not work too.
    There`s some way to move all files to a new user? I think it`s will be more easily! By the way thanks to be trying to help me bro, we`ll solve this big problem :cool:

12. MacKid macrumors 6502

This is very important, so I'll quote it for emphasis. =) If you are opening a Finder window that is related to an external drive, or an optical drive, or a network drive, the Finder will wait for those to spin up before delivering the contents in entirety. This includes just opening a window to "Computer," which will show you all the drives connected to your computer.

13. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

To delete the file in Terminal enter

rm /Users/****/Desktop/.DS_Store
    Hit enter.

**** = Your User name

For me it is easy, I would just enable root User and rename some folders to resolve the problem.

Did you keep the Shift Key presses when login, you need to hold it for a while, if you did it this way it means that it's not login Items like programs causing this problem.

I am pretty sure the problem is in the preferences folder.

If this is the case then do the following.

1. Make a new User or change the User you created to Admin User in System Preferences.

2. Log into that account.

3. Navigate to the normal Users Preferences folder.

4. Rename the Folder to Preferences1 (any name would do.

5. Logout and login into normal User.

Now, is the problem gone?
    All preferences are reset, you will see instantly when login into account.
    If the problem is gone it is inside the Old preferences Folder

----------

True but it does not take a minute, and most of the time the root level of that External is cached so you will see instantly, only deeper into the disk will take some time, and some time is not more than 10 seconds or so, by no means should it take much more (1 minute).

14. MacKid macrumors 6502

Yes, but in troubleshooting "my computer runs really slow"-type problems, one has to take the time estimates with a grain of salt. :)

15. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

:D Guess so.

16. jlucasvieira thread starter macrumors newbie

jlucasvieira

How i can have access to normal user preferences folders logging in another user? I did not understand that :/
    I already created and made another user admin, but i not understand what i`m supposed to do after that. Sorry man, but i`m newbie :p

17. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

If you made a new User Account with Admin access then do the following, step by step.

1. Log into that Admin User.

2, Navigate to /Users/****/Library/Preferences
    (This must be you old/normal account, **** is the old.normal User Account name.

3. Click on the preferences folder so that you can change it, name it Preferences Old (Any name will do).

4. Logout of Admin account and login into normal account.

That's it, are the problems gone?
    If so, the problem was in the Preferences Old Folder.
    Again, when you login into new account all preferences are reset, a new Preferences Folder will be in the Library Folder.

I wish I could use Teamviewer to remote help you but I am over my 3 GB monthly limit and it's slow now.

18. jlucasvieira thread starter macrumors newbie

jlucasvieira

Did not work :/
    I did it but the problem stills

Tried to acess the some folders of bugged user using the new admin root user and everything runs fine! But if i log in the "bugged user" the files take a long to show...

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correction: there are none. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.
    In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

20. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

This means your Preferences are OK, most of the time it is one of the files inside this Folder causing these problems.

If you didn't rename it back to original do so again from the Admin Account.

Now, first try deleting all the files in the Cache folder and restart.
    So, delete files in:
    /Users/****/Library/Caches
    Then restart.

If this did not work you most likely have a incompatible plug-in inside one of your Folders inside the Library.

The most likely ones are, from 1 most important to lower importance:

1. Contextual Menu Items
    2. Application Support
    3. Internet Plug-Ins

And, if you have these folders these are important as well:

LaunchAgents
    LaunchDeamons
    Startup Items
    These last folders are most likely not present inside your library, especially the last one (Startup Items.