Why? (tech addiction)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iSheep5S, May 17, 2015.

1. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Why are people so different with tech purchases.

My case.

I am a techaholic. I change stuff all the time on reasonable but not rich means. Last year was my worst, this year is panning out the same. I am REALLY trying to break the cycle.

Eg, This year from my Mac/iPhone notes used to see what i buy.

Jan 1 - Feb 19.
    Pebble. iPhone 4s x 3. iPad mini 2. MacBook Pro. Hp pavilion 4th April. 17th April iPhone 6+. 26th April Kindle touch. 2 May Kindle paper-white.

All sold on but left with, HP Pavilion, rMBP, iPhone 6+ and the 2nd gen Kindle PW.

3 4S's was due to issues with them. I had a 1st gen Kindle PW but replaced it with 2nd. Don't buy a Kindle touch if you have had a PW. This not including what i haven't changed in signature. iPad went due to 6+'s size.

Relative's case.

I spoke with him for therapy? He has, One 1st gen Kindle Fire, one old Samsung netbook 10.1" screen. One 2010 Samsung R580 15.6" laptop owned since new. One iPhone 4!

He makes double my salary. What is wrong with me?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If you immerse yourself in tech journalism, you're never going to be happy with your purchases. That's the biggest problem I see around the internet these days. People have just bought a Nexus 6, but are reading about the Samsung Galaxy S6, and are obsessing over it. Or people have just bought a Retina MacBook Pro and are going on about the new Retina MacBook.

Get rid of the Paperwhite 2. The reading experience on the iPhone 6+ is much more enjoyable. Just find yourself the right background/backlight/and text sizes. A lot of people aren't using their Kindles anymore because of it.

Doesn't matter how much money you have, some just don't need most of it.

3. iSheep5S thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

That is a fair point. Regarding the PW 2. I did buy the original in 2012 and just replaced it this year. If i read a book on my iPhone i would pop onto social media etc. Too distracting. I love reading and love the Kindle. It's the rest i have real issues with.

Never had the guts to post anything before. I appreciate your reply.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Different people spend thier money on different things. I'm a hobbiest photographer and have spent thousands in the few years I've been doing it.
    However I own my own home, never go on holiday and rarely eat out.
    As long as you are living within your means, there's no harm done.
    Personally I update my iPhone every 2 years. My late 2012 iMac still does everything I need it to. My iPad 2 is hardly used since I got the 6+. I'll upgrade my daughters iPad 4 later this year. That's about it for me this year.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

That is nothing!
    You should get into photography. Lots of people with GAS there.
    They spend thousands on gear to improve their pictures ... of dogs and streetsigns. :p

6. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Photography, pah! Try guitars. GAS is horrible when you own a couple nice guitars. The problem is, once you've spent $1k+ on a guitar, you're always justifying cheaper purchases because they cost less than what you've already spent for a guitar, and naturally, with a guitar that nice you want to get the most out of it so you need the best gear... it's a vicious cycle. Even if it's a new pick, a dollar here, five bucks there... it adds up. :(

I almost religiously follow Tech news, but I always end up buying a higher-specced machine from the last generation. Case in point: I bought an iPhone 5s when the 6 came out (mainly due to the screen size), and a last-gen 17" macbook after they discontinued that.

7. Scepticalscribe, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Some people see tech as a means to an end - it is something they use, and need to be able to use, in order to be able to function in our world - both work wise, and if they have an online and/or social media identity. For such people, all that really matters is that it works, and does what it is supposed to do without too much difficulty. Such individuals are rarely overly concerned about specific brands (unless they particularly like one, or got used to one), and have not invested their identity in tech.

For others, - and I suspect that you may fall into this category - tech is more than a hobby, profession, deep interest or way of life: It is a means of defining one's identity and has become something of a signifier for who you think you are, when constructing identities. Thus, brands (Apple) and the ownership of specific devices, models or advances become a major source of both interest and identity.

And, precisely because advances in the tech world are taking place at such an accelerated rate, where discovery tumbles after discovery, where the exploration, discovery and mastery (not to mention, marketing) of the new can have such far-reaching, world-changing, transformational - and, indeed, such seismic effects - obsolescence kicks in early, and the desire for the new will always trump any sort of satisfaction with the old, tried and trusted.

So, one will always want the new - not just because it is new, but, because experience has taught you that it might be revolutionary and transformational in its impact. Therefore, possession of this knowledge, - (these things can change the world), and how we interact in this world - and this device, (a device which might utterly transform things to an even greater extent,as iPods, iPads, and iPhones all did in their turn) matters to your own sense of yourself.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Add to this a release cycle that promotes marginal advances as revolutionary leaps and that sets us awash in hyperbolic advertisements designed to appeal to our sense of self (and self-worth).

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, that is very true, and that is why I read reviews from reputable sources. Indeed, it is one of the reasons I became a member of this forum, originally…..

The problem is that it can take a while (and the time meant by this term 'a while' is usually a few weeks or months in this world) to realise whether something is genuinely new, or radically improved, or merely incrementally, or marginally improved.

In the meantime, some do fall for the spin and marketing, while others buy because it is the time that they would have bought some thing new anyway.

10. iSheep5S thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Already there but like my Kindle it does the job. Nikon plus lenses. I did have Canon and always had a decent compact Canon, then moved to the DSLR and Canon... then swapped to Nikon after trying a humble D90 which will go when it dies. 5k shutter count. :)

I don't have the addiction to change with all things. Also strange.

----------

Been there too. Before my tech interest i changed guitars soooo much.

Eg, Gibson Les Paul studio in wine red. Bunch of Fender Strats before getting an American standard. All gone.

Acoustics were bad, i can't list them all but highlights. Martin D28, HD28, OOO28EC.

After all the brands i have settled for maybe 2 years on a strat and an acoustic without the price tag of above.

i also play ukulele and did a swap a lot with them. Currently settled with a cheap Tenor size.

----------

This rings true. :)

11. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Hey, that was me before I got married. I had accumulated nearly $35K in L glass--another $10K in lighting equipment:cool:--before getting hitched.

The Missus green lit only 1 lense purchase in the past 10 years.:( I had to work on technique and composition instead of compensating with expensive gear. I'm still using a 20D.:eek: I can't get a new camera until this one fails (nearly 200K clicks already). It's bound to fail within the next year or two. Knock on my head. I'm hoping for a 5D mk III (or mk IV), but zero chance she will approve. Looks like a 6D (or mkII) in my future.

12. iSheep5S thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

If i shifted from Nikon, a 5D mk 3 is a dream camera. ;)

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Is technology for you a hobby or an addiction? Does the money you spend negatively affect you (you can't afford basic necessities?). Are you in debt? Do you have spending patterns related to your mood- either depressed or happy? Do you neglect responsibilities of life to spend time with your technology?

Do you have a void in your life you're trying to fill?

14. iSheep5S thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Hobby i'd say. I can still afford stuff for my family and i also bills. Although my wife is super tolerant. I can't deny the buzz it gives me, researching and impending purchase especialy if it involves a trip to the nearest city. Like a day of it. We can all be guilty of the last one. :) But i do household stuff and family time also a full time job.

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Then you're probably alright. Everybody has their hobbies, sometimes even extreme. We all need an outlet.

For some people shopping addiction is a very real problem, as I'm sure you can imagine.

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I live immersed in tech. I keep current on only a few things Jeeps, Military, and tech. I do not however buy every gadget. My phone is lowend and old my computers are highend but old and purchased used. I figure the money spent on my hobbies would be much better applied to retirement I'd rather retire early than have the latest and greatest.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Love technology and gadgets but at this point in my life, its unsustainable to keep up on what's coming out.

Take the Apple watch, its cool to be sure but I cannot justify 500 bucks (or more) for something that is offers so little in actual features, i.e., the phone is more useful then the watch.

I used to buy new computers quite often, but again, when Macs are priced 1,500 and up, its hard to justify them other then every 3 or 4 years. Of course the resale value is what helped me here, i.e., sold my older mac which offset the price of the new one.

I'm more or less content with what I have.

18. iSheep5S thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

A lot of my excuses are 'try' this device. Be part of a new thing. Keeping what i like.

For fun just adding my wants. Love the rMB but can't justify it with a rMBP in my collection. And a little bit better than what i have game wise windows laptop. Lets see how long i can hold this off. :D

19. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I say this with the utmost good will and a friendly spirit, but I can't help but chuckle at your username with regard to your apparent compulsion to buy the latest tech. :D

20. iSheep5S thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Haha. A well chosen name. :D

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I hadn't even noticed that. Well spotted.

Fair play to you.