Why the 2017 iPhone Cycle Will Be a Huge Flop for Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajiuo, Aug 7, 2017.

1. ajiuo, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017

ajiuo macrumors 65816

With modern looking phones like the Galaxy S8 on the market... How many people will be willing to upgrade to a new iPhone that looks more or less like the iPhone 6/6S/7? Well I hate to break it to you guys but that’s what apple is giving most of its consumer base. It’s true, Apple will have a new bezel-less iPhone that looks amazing, but the truth is that awesome new iPhone isn’t for you and me. The bezel-less iPhone is actually Apples attempt at creating a new pro phone market. So unless your willing to pay $1200 - $1500 to be an elite member of that club, you will have to look at Apples other option.

The iPhone for the rest of us is expected to look very similar to the iPhone 7. It will have a glass back panel to accommodate wireless charging, but other then that not much has changed. It will still have a back lit LCD panel, it will still have the huge bezels, and it will still have a home button. Sure it will receive Apples regular hardware bumps and i'm sure they will be impressive, as usual... but I don’t think that’s enough anymore. Apple already caught a lot of flack over the iPhone 7 keeping the same design in 2016. That is only going to get worse this time around.

I have been loyal to the iPhone brand since day one, and it still makes me sick to think about having to switch to Android, but when I look at phones like the Galaxy S8 it honestly makes me a bit jealous... and i'm not alone. I look at other phones and think “When is Apple going to give us something fresh and modern looking?” Then all the stuff about a bezel-less iPhone starts leaking, but then reality hits and i'm still left wondering.

I don’t think Apple is wrong for creating a new pro market for its product. The problem is that Apple is neglecting its mainstream iPhone. An OLED screen and smaller bezel are not “pro” features. They are things that are becoming pretty standard with other phone manufactures. So for Apple to market those things as something for a “Pro” line of product is a huge slap in the face to a majority of its consumer base. Yes, I’m sure that they iPhone Pro will have a lot more then OLED and a smaller bezel, and that’s okay... but OLED and smaller bezels are things that the main iPhone should be getting as well.

I think people are going to be disappointed when they see this new iPhone design and then find out that its not for them. They are going to have to look at the regular iPhone and then at the competition.... and its getting harder and harder to ignore the competition. Wireless charging just isn’t enough, in fact its old news that other manufactures have been doing for years. I'm sure some people will upgrade, but people with iPhone 5S and older are becoming a lot less and people with an iPhone 6 and newer wont see much of a point... I predict that this iPhone will sell less units then anything in the 6/6S/7 line... because its just become outdated.

As for the iPhone pro. I think Apple will be successful at creating a new market, but its not going to be a huge market. most people will not pay $1200 + for an iPhone, when they can get a very nice looking Galaxy for a lot less. Sure the Galaxy wont do everything that the iPhone Pro will, but most people don’t need it to. A lot of people just want a modern consumer level phone... and Apple has failed to give them that.

So that why I think 2017 is going to be a huge flop for Apple. They are alienating their base in favor of focusing on a pro product. That is fine for a niche product line like iMac and MacBook, but the iPhone is a much more mainstream product and has become Apples bread and Butter.... They are making a huge mistake here.

It’s also been revealed that the iPhone Pro will not have TouchID in any form. FaceID will be nice but can’t replace a lot of the convenience of TouchID... and there is no guarantee that banks will even allow FaceID to be used for Apple Pay... this is going to be a huge hit to the value of the iPhone Pro and make it even less enticing.

2. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

I agree, the facts that they are releasing 3 phones is a mistake. They should have removed the Plus version, because the iPhone 8 has a bigger screen than the iPhone 7 Plus and will probably have a better camera also. But since Apple must absolutely sell the iPhone 8 at higher price. They kept the Plus version, now they need a margin between every phone, which cause the iPhone 8 to be $1000+

3. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Yes, the new iPhone will flop just like every other iPhone has. I love these annual threads.

4. the future macrumors 65816

@OP ... or you/we could wait another month for the real phones/specs/price points and analyze then, on a factual basis.

5. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

FYI the phone that people have been calling the iPhone 8 is the iPhone Pro. That is the 1200 - 1500 phone.

The three iphone will likely be called iPhone, iPhone Plus, iPhone Pro... only the iphone pro will have the bigger screen. The iPhone and iPhone Plus will have the same screens as the 7 and 7 plus.

the numbering system is probably gone... no iphone 8

6. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

Apples own firmware leak has confirmed almost everything but the price... and obviously the iPhone pro is going to be priced higher. The regular iPhone while looking the same still has hardware bumps... they are not going to drop the price on that... plus the people leaking this stuff are very reputable.

7. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

So are you going to upgrade to a phone that looks almost just like the 6/6S/7? are you going to pay $1200 for an 64gb iphone Pro?

8. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

OP - You're stating these as facts. Let's just wait and see what happens next month.

9. craigio85 macrumors regular

You really shouldn't take rumours and speculation to heart so much. Go out there and trace them back - you'll find that the whole concept of the OLED model being branded as an iPhone Pro is nothing but a very poorly thought out theory originating from a simple idea that Apple will align the branding with the MacBook and iPad.

Just forget that 'logic' for a moment and consider this. Both MacBooks and iPads can be used in business, corporate and professional environments for tasks that demand things such as processing grunt and larger screens. They're marketed as being capable of living up to those demands. Pro works. Now consider a phone. They're ubiquitous, everybody owns one and they're geared towards the social and leisure aspects of life. People, generally, don't want a mix of business and pleasure in their own phone. They'll have a personal phone which needs a great camera, a great display for watching Netflix, great sound for listening to music etc etc. And they'll have a work phone that just needs to give them easy access to information, emails and be good at making calls. Devices aimed at this tend to strip back the lifestyle and social aspects, not enhance them.

Labelling the OLED iPhone as 'Pro' would give it a huge identity crisis. You only have to read the general opinion in this and other forums to realise the idea would have gone down like a cup of cold sick with focus groups.

If Apple really are going exclusively for the very top end of the market with the redesigned iPhone - and I don't think they are, it's just a notion that's drifted into acceptance as rumours have been taken out of context and blown out of proportion - they need to market the thing to the audience they're aiming at. It'd all be about social status and 'Pro' goes against that.

10. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

If it means I can get one within two weeks of release it can flop away for all I care.

Personally I expect there to be a lot of demand for it. Plenty of people will still want it, yields and availability will be low (or at least that's what we'll be led to believe), and most people don't even know or care how much a phone costs, all they care about is whether or not they can afford the monthly payment (and even then most people probably can't differentiate between what the phone costs vs. the actual phone plan).

Where I think Apple is dragging their feet is coming out with an S model, probably should have gone with that rumored 3 year cycle and skipped straight to the 8. But if they can sell tons of a phone that looks 4 years old more power to them.

11. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

I'm thinking it's a little early to pronounce the 2017 Iphone as a flop. Apple's ace in their hand is the IOS system. I'm thinking Apple will do just fine!:):apple:

12. swarlos macrumors 6502

swarlos

Agreed!! I’m really hoping it’s called iPhone Edition. Has a really nice ring to it plus it makes more sense as this a special release phone.

13. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Let me explain this, it's actually pretty simple.

Firstly, there is no 'iPhone Pro'. Mainly because it's terrible marketing, but also because it makes no sense and next year's 'iPhone Pro Plus' or 'iPhone Plus Pro' would be the worst marketing name in history. The iPhone will have a new marketing term to draw attention to its new features/design.

Secondly, the purpose of releasing the iPhone 7s and 7s Plus is specifically to give customers phones which have new features, at the typical pricing. The new iPhone has features that make its price inherently much higher for fall 2017. In fall 2018 yields and supply will have increased such that the base price will fall back down to more typical pricing.

In 2017 you have:
    iPhone 7s
    iPhone 7s Plus
    iPhone (insert new marketing term)

In 2018 there will be a Plus-sized OLED version of the OLED iPhone this year. The pricing on these will have decreased substantially due to the aforementioned increased yield and supply. There will be no new LCD models next year, because the OLED models will be hundreds of dollars cheaper.

You see, the iPhone cannot sustain a splitting of products. People fail to understand that the iPhone has virtually no where to go after 2017. There will not be drastic design and feature additions going forward. The 2018 iPhones will add the typical minor upgrades with one major upgrade which will be infrared sensors on the rear of the iPhone for advanced AR capabilities. People have this misunderstanding that Apple can continue to sell premium iPhones which come with more and more advanced features... they don't think very hard apparently, because this is it folks... this is the final iPhone year if you will...the design is essentially complete. There will be no more major transformations. You can't put some magical tech in it next year to sell premium iPhones.

These LCD iPhones being sold alongside new OLED models are merely a stop-gap for the prices to fall. It will be back to 2 iPhone models very shortly, which will both be OLED.

Remember, the retina MacBook Pro and retina iMacs both launched and within 12 months dropped 400-$700 dollars.

P.S. The OLED will be priced like so:
    64GB - $969 or $999
    256GB - $1,149 or $1,199

14. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

Who cares what they label it as... I’m just calling it an iPhone Pro... but it is most certainly going to be marketed at the higher price. They are not going to sell it at the same price as the other two new iPhones that are coming out. The people coming out with this stuff are very reliable... and apples own firmware leak confirmed a lot of what they have said.... so I have no reason to not believe them.... I hope they are wrong, but I don’t think they are.

15. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

Far too much speculating, ifs and buts to be able to declare Apples 2017 iPhones a flop.

16. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I'm fairly sure I won't be buying a new iPhone this year -- or next.

This is not because I'm dissatisfied with the iPhone -- quite the reverse.

How much better could it be? The iPhone 7 has wide bezels? Really? It's not modern? It is unarguably the best iPhone Apple has ever made and I cannot imagine any way in which it could be better, and certainly not so much better that I should trade in my current phone and spend a wad of cash on the new one.

I feel like this about all my Apple products now. I might buy the new speaker thing. Home Pod? It's new, it's offering me new functionality. But the rest of the product line can only get incrementally better now. For my mental and my financial health, I need to be done with upgrade obsession.

Enjoy your smaller bezels.

17. Lebherz27 macrumors newbie

Well.. I for one will be buying one, as I imagine a number of others on here will be also.

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

complete rubbish

It will be the highest selling iphone ever. It will break all kinds of records and will be a nightmare to get.

19. DUIduckSAUCE macrumors 6502

DUIduckSAUCE

If rumors are correct Samsung will only be able to produce 70 million oled panels (taking yield rates into account) for the 8. I think the lot of them will sell out, but 70 million isn't record breaking by volume. By revenue may be a different story. Apple is the king of margins.

20. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

You think 70 million is for the year? if thats what they product thats for launch. That number is hardly confirmation. It is a rumour. Other reports suggest it won't even be delayed that much and if it is thats because they are ordering more for supply.

Apple sold 41 million iphones last quarter alone. this phone is going to sell like crazy. Kind of foolish to think otherwise.

21. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

70 million is for the year. It's the reason there is a 7s and 7s Plus. Supply cannot meet demand of the 8.

It will be sold out virtually all year most likely. Trickling in small amounts throughout the year which immediately sell out.

22. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

70 million was likely projected for the short term. By year's end that fiqure will not stay the same. That fiqure isn't even accurate. It was rumoured to be that and lower due to supply issues. There won't be year long supply issues thats for sure. As far as i'm aware 70 million is what apple ordered right off the bat. How that number changes over the year remains to be seen

23. Thebeat07 macrumors regular

Thebeat07

THANK YOU. SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. And if you guys actually think the iPhone Pro will be priced at least $1200 that won't happen. That means Canadian currency will be $1600 for a 64gb phone. Look at that number, $1600 CAD for a phone. No not gonna happen.

24. Relentless Power, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Apple placed an order for 70 Million OLED panels with Samsung, which they will supply Apple up to 92 Million OLED panels until 2019. Furthermore, Apple reportedly will be using LG as a future OLED panel supplier after Samsung For the majority of their iPhone line up.

"Apple is reportedly in talks with LG Display to invest about 2 to 3 trillion won (US$1.75-2.62 billion) into the Korean display maker’s new OLED production lines exclusively dedicated to Apple orders. "

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/07/03/apple-lg-display-oled-iphones/amp/

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/03/apple-orders-70m-iphone-panels-from-samsung/amp/

25. Thebeat07 macrumors regular

Thebeat07

The only flop is your posting..