Why the Apple Website has to change its menu bar

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by a456, Dec 15, 2007.

1. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Here is the reason:

http://www.venturenavigator.co.uk/

By choosing a very very very similar design, the company has made it look like Apple just picked their menu bar from a set of skins readily available to the entire web. I know that it is probably meant to be flattering and a nod towards Apple by the website "designer" but I feel it cheapens the look of the Apple site, when the site should look cutting edge. What do others think?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

granted it is similar but in all honesty how many people are going to visit that site. I have never heard of it and having been will never go back.

3. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

I hope that you realise that the site you linked to is far more likely to have ripped Apple's design off than the reverse.

4. a456 thread starter macrumors 6502a

a456

Yes. My point is that this is probably already one of many sites "emulating" Apple on the web, and the effect of stumbling across this type of menu bar in all sorts of lower-end websites makes the Apple one look less appealing and sophisticated.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

But that is the way life goes, someone makes something good people copy.

So if apple change their site (which hasn't been around that long in the grand scheme of things) eventually you will come across a site that looks like the new design.

Their implementation of the toolbar is amateur, also I think the only people that will care are the ones who know that it is based of apple's site (perhaps apple borrowed parts of it from other site who knows)

6. a456 thread starter macrumors 6502a

a456

I agree that web-designers borrow from one another - even (and perhaps especially) large companies. But I also think that this may be a sign that web design needs to move more quickly - especially in such a design focused company. Even though the old design was looking stale and in need of a makeover and had been copied by others it still said Apple because of the echo of the original iMacs, but the menu bar currently being used does not say Apple in such a strong way. In fact I find it rather arbitrary in terms of branding.

7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

wow... a crappy web site ripped off Apple.... And it wasn't a good copy either....

8. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

From what I remember, people had ripped off Apple's old menu bar as well. I think no matter what they choose, someone will copy them IMO.

9. rhyndu macrumors regular

Not to be an "Apple is doing its very best and to expect more is to expect Apple to be better than God"ish person, but how will frequent designs help Apple keep people from copying its code/website?

10. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

I think everytime someone copies their design, they should change it. Seems logical and like a very good business idea.

Here's the thing. People are going to copy your ideas. That's it. I've had my designs ripped off more time than I'd like to count. They never do as good of a job. It sucks, but it's a fact of our business.

11. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

plenty of sites copied apples old design. hell, even the default rapidweaver template used to be an apple website clone.

12. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

If they were going to rip it off they could of at least made it look good.