why the core2duo

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cake90036, Oct 21, 2010.

1. cake90036 macrumors regular

Why did they use a core 2 duo processor in the new mba and also why is the ghz speed so low... 1.4? What is that...someone please school me on this

2. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Cause Stevie had a bunch of them laying around on the shelf unused and needed to get rid of them :D

3. DouchGod macrumors regular

DouchGod

Low power usage, not much heat generated allowing them to build it into a small form factor.

4. drjsway macrumors 6502a

They used core 2 duo because the GPU in the i7 sucks and 1.4 and 1.6 are the fastest CPUs for the Air's thermal design.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Depending on the model, I think it can be upgraded to 2.13 GHz.

The Core 2 Duo a solid processor with relatively low power consumption. Its tried and true and should power the Air just fine. The Air isn't really targeted for processor intensive things such as video editing.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

My belief is its because the C2D is very inexpensive these days. What this means is that using a cheaper chip allows them to use the always very expensive minimizing technology without driving the price up.

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The reason they went with the Core 2 Duo is because all the Core iX series processors require the use of Intel's integrated graphics solutions, which suck a nut. So Apple took the less-powerful CPU option but gained a GPU that's three times more powerful than they would have had otherwise.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

With iX, we would be stuck with the Intel IGP. I bet that more people will actually benefit from the 320M than from iX since 320M will help a lot with video playback and external monitor usage.

11.6" has 1.4GHz because it uses ULV versions of C2Ds that have TDP of 10W and top out at 1.6GHz

9. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Really, it's because Apple could use Nvidia graphics which are a whole lot faster than Intel's. Initial speedmark tests between the 11" Air and a comparable MHZ i3 netbook and Intel graphics show the Air to be much much faster with the Nvidia graphics.

10. jeznav macrumors 6502

jeznav

11. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

The core 2 duo is tired and true:confused::D

i think you meant tried and true.

12. cube macrumors G5

So, will the next version use AMD Fusion then?