Why the delay before shipping online orders

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scottyfrombi, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Scottyfrombi macrumors member

I ordered at 12:43 am on the 11th, one of the first I think and there was a 3-5 day delay before it would ship. Why is that? If they can fill supplys at thousands of stores across the country, why not have a supply of iPads 2 available to fill online orders immediatly? They sent outthe accessories the next day. I get that once the online orders overwhelmed them, they pushed out deliveries for weeks since presumably more orders than inventory were sent, but those that ordered the first hours and days, why did they have shipping delays.

One problem is that many will order online and not want to wait, so they will go out to various retail outlets and buy one and then return or cancel their online orders, skewing the whole online process for others.

I just don't get why the online buyers are treated like the red headed step children instead of high priority sales customers.

2. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

Because it's an ocean away and hundreds of thousands of people are ordering. You arent special, regardless of what your momma told you.

3. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

It's been theorized that apple prioritized retail over online to drum up hype and increase the size of lines.

No one but them knows for sure...

4. StopSign24 macrumors regular

I ordered mine at 12:42 and got 1-2 business day shipping. It shipped out this morning, so the number of online sales probably jumped dramatically in the first minute or so.