Why the discrepancies in 2.0.1 results?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TN-3, Aug 5, 2008.

1. TN-3 macrumors newbie

Ok, so after reading through the 67,506 threads on what the update has and hasn't done to people's phones, I am just curious. If this is the same firmware that everyone is downloading, why are there so many different results? I mean, some people are saying their WiFi is shutting down, others are getting errors in iTunes, etc. On the other hand, some people updated and everything is running smooth, if not better. Is it hardware issues? I just don't understand how the same firmware can have so many outcomes.

Some of you with more knowledge of how this all works, please enlighten me.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Lots of reasons. Primary of them is that quite frankly, people on this forum are utterly obsessed with their phone operating perfectly, and will cry calamity if it isn't. Some of the problems are real. Some of the problems are perceived.

There are other reasons, too. People have different apps installed, and different apps may effect their phones differently. And different usage patterns can bring out bugs that others might not see.

3. FJR macrumors regular

I think the biggest reason is that more people post if something doesn't work than if it does. So it makes it seem like the few problems here and there are more numerous than they really are. I'd be willing to bet that for the VAST majority, 2.0.1 solved the problems it was intended to fix and didn't cause any other problems.

4. kane4fire macrumors member

What's wrong with expecting your product that cost a good bit to work perfectly?

I mean after all, since it's an Apple product, I thought that they "just work"

5. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

yeah mines currently stuck at the apple logo, seems to be running perfect after the update.

6. ikare macrumors member

I agree with you, hey, nothing is perfect, there are flaws with almost every phone you buy, people overreact

7. profetto macrumors regular

Ya, that makes alot of sense.

I install the update, and then lose all 3G reception that I previously had. But you're right, I'm probably making too big a fuss because I bought the new effing iPhone 3G for umm yup you guessed it, its 3G capabilities! But hey, maybe you're right and its all in my head... idiot.

8. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

If you have lost all reception, then there must be something wrong with the phone itself, unless u are judging the reception in one area and not as a whole. My reception has been significantly improved after the update.

9. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

I am currently restoring my iPhone. Lets hope that fixes some of these non issues i was talking about :rolleyes:

10. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I think I might be doing the same in a couple of minutes. For me I'm having lots more problems with 2.0.1 than 2.0 strangely enough. Right now for example, iTunes won't backup my iPhone... It just sits at 1/4 finished for a couple of hours and I have tried it a couple of times over the past few days...

11. TN-3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I am not sure if people are understanding my question. It is not regarding the issues people are having with the iPhone as a whole. I realize with any product there are going to be issues and such. My question was directly related to the firmware update. Why two people, who have otherwise working iPhones can both download the update, and one person says it makes their phone faster and the reception is better, and the other person, downloading the exact same firmware, can say that it ruined their phone. Why would the exact same update make one phone better and the other worse. What causes this?