why the duplicates?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theGAPkid, Nov 19, 2007.

1. theGAPkid macrumors regular

Looking through my iPhoto library, which is where i view all my photos, i see 708 photos in 15 events. Pretty straight forward.

However, when I look in Finder, under the "View All Images" search bit, I get 2150 images. They are all duplicates! mostly two, but some with three or four of the same image. Surely this is taking up uncecasarry space. Where abouts are they? I cant find the folders anywhere.

Help anyone?
    :)

2. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

If you change a photo in iPhoto, it saves both the original and the modified version. That way you can revert back to the original at any time. I'm not sure why you have three or four copies though...

The files themselves are located within your iPhoto library package. Go to your library file, control click and choose to show package contents. I wouldn't go mucking around the files though, because it'll screw up how iPhoto works if you're not careful.

3. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

If you want to delete some of the extra files, do so through iPhoto. This will limit the chance of there being problems as well as being a little easier to see what you are deleting.

4. theGAPkid thread starter macrumors regular

but thts the problem, there are only 708 images in iPhoto. None of the duplicates or anything come up. I dont know where they are. :S

5. gregneedham macrumors newbie

It might be that one is the original, one is modified, one is the thumbnail version that iPhoto generates for display. Check the file size of the dupe files and see if there isn't a v.small version...that would not be a duplicate, but the thumbnail version...just a thought.