Why the fan is very noisy during web surfing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Aug 4, 2017.

1. hajime macrumors 68040

I don't watch video but just surf the web using Firefox. Yet, my MBP 2010 17"'s fan is very loud.
    According to the activity monitory, Firefox takes 70-150%CPU. Is this a problem with Firefox or my machine?

2. Mr Invisible macrumors newbie

Had this problem with Firefox often. I don't think it's been particularly well optimised for the Mac. I have since switched to Safari which works far better with less overheating. Give it a try.

3. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

Firefox is a resource hog. Just use Safari, and you will be ok.
    But also, did you ever open up your laptop and cleaned it? You should do that, and even changing cpu paste would do great things to a laptop that old.

4. Audit13, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017

Audit13 macrumors 68000

Audit13

Fire fox may be using hardware acceleration which causes the Macbook to switch from using the Intel video to nvidia gpu. The nVidia GPU generates more heat.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks. Over 10 years ago, Firefox was the recommended browser for the Mac. So, the situation has changed?

I got lots of bookmarks under Firefox and some under Safari. I guess some have the same names. What can I do if I want to move all the bookmarks from FF to Safari without messing everything up.

6. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

I know how to export but I am concerned about messing up everything when the bookmark folders in FireFox and Safari have the same name. I am also concerned that they overwrite each other.