Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I didn't realize that AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Depeche Mode, and various other similar bands fell into the category of hip-hop or club music.
Maybe I haven't listened to it enough, but every time I do, I hear rap/hip-hop. I'll give it another chance or two, but it just doesn't seem to play any music I like.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
He did. The playlist from it is posted on his AM page.
How do I find his AM page?
- I haven't found anyway to get any info on my Mac so I'm not gonna go there. Sigh.
- From iPhone, I click on the Beats 1 logo and see other shows but not Hommes.
- If I go to the AM Tumblr site, I do find Hommes there but if I click on his link, it just loads the generic Beats 1 page so that does me no good.
- If I search for Hommes on AM and click on his playlists, I finally see 2 playlists: one introducing him and one from his first show but not his second show.

It shouldn't be this hard! Can you please tell me exactly how to find it?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
How do I find his AM page?
- I haven't found anyway to get any info on my Mac so I'm not gonna go there. Sigh.
- From iPhone, I click on the Beats 1 logo and see other shows but not Hommes.
- If I go to the AM Tumblr site, I do find Hommes there but if I click on his link, it just loads the generic Beats 1 page so that does me no good.
- If I search for Hommes on AM and click on his playlists, I finally see 2 playlists: one introducing him and one from his first show but not his second show.

It shouldn't be this hard! Can you please tell me exactly how to find it?

Oh those are the 2 playlists I'm talking about.

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
Oh those are the 2 playlists I'm talking about.
Sounds like he did have a 2nd show but no posting of the playlist. AM is starting to piss me off.

Having said that The Big Jewish is super funny on his show Money, Pizza, Respect right now even though it is hip-hop.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
As with any new Apple product, it's bound to improve over time. The good news is... if Beats doesn't fit your preferences we have several other streaming services to choose from, I know I have my favorite. Patience is the key, Apple's bound to get it right at some point. Flush with cash it's just a matter of time.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Instead of calling it beats 1, why didn't they call if hiphop 1, then we would have known what to expect and wouldn't have to keep tuning in to see if it is any good, we would have known it was rubbish before hand.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I think it's one a weekend.

Why are people shocked by the genre's that are most popular at the moment? It's bang on IMO.

You can't just randomly tune in, you need to find which shows you'll like.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
There is the problem: hiphop ISN'T popular around the world.

Yes, yes it is, and it has been for a long time now, in all variations, it just doesn't match your personal taste.

Beats 1 seems to be all popular music, without the chart fluff made just to make money. It does currently lean towards Dance and HipHop/Rap but so does the music that is in the charts in general, and what's popular with the 16-35 demographic that it's so obviously aimed at.

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
Just checked the german Top40: *3* hiphop songs in it. This is far from the dominance you propose.
I'm not German and I'm not defending Beats 1 but what source did you use? I checked Billboard and iTunes downloads for Germany and it's MOSTLY dance, hip hop, pop like Pharrell Williams, etc. as a matter of fact, it's amazingly like the Beats 1 playlist this week!

This is the iTunes link:
http://www.ellatha.com/itunes/top-100-german-songs.asp

Here's the Billboard link:
http://www.billboard.com/charts/germany-songs

Last edited:

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
I'm not German and I'm not defending Beats 1 but what source did you use? I checked Billboard and iTunes downloads for Germany and it's MOSTLY dance, hip hop, pop like Pharrell Williams, etc. as a matter of fact, it's amazingly like the Beats 1 playlist this week!

I used the Radio Charts:
Http://www.oljo.de/radiochart_de/radio100.shtml

On your lists - where do you see lots of hiphop? I'm just wondering.

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
I used the Radio Charts:
Http://www.oljo.de/radiochart_de/radio100.shtml

On your lists - where do you see lots of hiphop? I'm just wondering.
On my list, the number 1 song is hip-hop/rap and when combined with dance it's 24 of the top 40 songs or 60%.

Looking at your list, I see lots of artists I've heard on Beats 1 over the past few days like David Guetta, Rihanna & Kanye West, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, James Bay & Elie Goulding.

None of whom I like -- I like good old rock and roll -- but that doesn't mean Beats 1 seems out of touch to me. It seems like they are playing the biggest artists out there in the pop, hip hop, rap, dance, alternative genres. I just don't really care for it all that much.

Last edited:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Definitely not a trend for what the younger audience wants! Think about Spotify's success -- it's not talk-over style -- just great playlists plus an awesome social interface which makes it so easy to share UNLIKE Apple Music. I'm a huge fan of Beats 1 and have been listening almost non-stop but they don't have this piece right and hopefully they will because social is what young people DO care about!

You do realise you can just skip beats 1 and listen to the playlists on Apple Music for each show, if you don't want to listen to the DJ's. Just search the name of the show and a playlist with all songs from each show is easy to find.

DJ's are meant to talk, that's the point of them.... I don't get why people are being so daft. Either listen to the radio or listen to the playlists.

Also, I can share all the playlists with people on Facebook, iMessage, anything. When the android app comes out, I can share it to them too. Easy. It could be easily improved though, like finding friends on Apple Music, etc, but I expect that to come down the line. For a first release, it's a good start.

Last edited:

cloober32

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
But why do I nearly always get hiphop when I tune in? If there is so much variance I should have gotten something different more often then the 1 time without hiphop.

This is a stupid discussion. If the problem is sample-size, maybe this can help: https://twitter.com/Beats1Plays

They play hip-hop, but it is far from "all" they play. Listening right now and hip-hop is not playing; much like the last half hour or so. But generally, if you don't like it, don't listen. Doesn't make much difference to me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.