Why the heck does February have only 28 days

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Feb 11, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I mean couldn't they see that January has 31 and March has 31. Why not make Jan, Feb, and Mar all 30 and on leap year February will get 31.
    [/rant]

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I found it google.

They basically stole 2 days out of the year to honor Ceasar (July and Aug) and stole those two days from Feb

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Both those months were to honor Caesar (July for Julius, August for Augustus). This threw the naming and sequence off with the new 7th & 8th months, so now you have September (7) at 9, October (8) at 10, November (9) at 11, and December (10) at 12. The number of days in a month—and the months themselves—have been getting whacked around as long as people have been making up calendars. They're all screwy.

5. iOrlando macrumors 68000

Steve Jobs on why certain months have certain number of dates:

The dates just change. It's really not that big of deal. Move on.

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

Who do you think "they" are? Current western calendar was settled on long time ago.... then rejigged and refreshed as new emperors and popes saw fit, and astronomers tried to make sense of it. You want a real mystery? Try to work out the pattern to the timing of Easter. There is a pattern, but it's rooted in astronomical dark voodoo. Why not just pin it to a regular date like all the other religious holidays?

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There is no real voodoo, Easter is based on the lunar calendar and our calendar is based on the solar calendar. There's a few other variables thrown in on Easter as Jesus was crucified on passover so that's why it follows the lunar calendar.

8. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I always liked the idea of the 13 month calendar better it is much easier to organize the dates there would still be a leap year of course (proposed as a day with no assignment to a week day name every year and one day each 4 years) but no shifting between number dates and days of the week there would just be 28 days each month and the addition of one day every year and one every 4 keeping the calendar accurate.

Of course the superstitious would be pissed about the 13 friday the 13ths as a result if Sunday constantly fell on the beginning of the week (come to think of it guess what the date is tomorrow) however if monday were set as the standard there would never be a Friday the 13th and horror flick fans would be displeased.

Or there is the Asimov idea of having a seasonal calendar with four divisions each equaling 91 days, throwing out the monthly lunar sytem completely and sticking with a solar model. Still there would need to be those necessary leap days used to keep the calendars accuracy intact left unassigned to any week days with the same standard as the 13 month calendar.

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Would it be too weird if we just got rid of months altogether and just had.. days :confused:

10. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

what might freak you out is that in Feb year 3448 there will be a super leap year of 2 days including Feb 30th and 31st.
    ;)

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I thought Jan and Feb were the newest months added to the calendar later, while July and August already existed and were simply renamed in honour of Caesar and Augustus, with an extra day tacked on at the ends. The year began in March, and Julius Caesar got a month in the middle of the year. Then Augustus wanted a month with 31 days, and since he thought he was better than Caesar, he got the month after July (August) and also wanted 31 days. Sept, Oct, Nov, and Dec were months 7, 8, 9, and 10, like you said. There were days that did not belong to a month, but they weren't important because nothing was planned in the dead of winter anyway (January and Feb). Eventually January and February were created just to fill the gaps.

12. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Passover is what is based on the lunar calendar and is still a strictly observed Jewish holiday, Easter on the other hand does not coincide with passover it's celebration is observed by the Modern calendar rarely coinciding with the Hebrew one. Jesus' death is always celebrated on a Friday through Sunday traditionally under the modern calendar in Christian practices while pasàch falls within a specific week on a different lunar calendar which can begin whatever day of the week it happens to be during the months of March and April (a very wide range--Ive known the holiday to happen as early as the beginning of March or as late as the middle of April). Indeed Easter does vary as well but it always begins falling on a Friday within a narrower date range (+/- up to a week between March and April) to coincide with the current calendar system and insure that the holiday is observed beginning on a Friday.

I'm neither Christian nor Jewish I used to celebrate Easter by making deviled eggs with my family after the hunt so I am familiar with that holiday since child hood since my mother was a Baptist and insistent on us going to church in the morning then looking for brightly colored hard boiled eggs all afternoon. I celebrate pasàch with my in-laws as a courtesy to their family traditions (jokingly I am referred to as the sacrificial gentile) I have to say the food is a lot better than those Jews make it out to be--I highly reccomend the Mazoball soup.

13. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Linky linky

Really? ;)

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Doesn't matter, the world is ending in 2012 :p

15. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If true (see above) wouldn't that be 3 days? (29, 30, 31) If just two, that would be the 29th and 30th.

13*28=364
    14*26=364
    No need to piss off the superstitious. I realize that 26 is not divisible by 7, but, oh well...

16. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Q Why the heck does February have only 28 days?

A Because it gets it's awesome done more quickly. Optionally, because it's the month that sucks the most, has the dumbest name, and therefore the guy who planned the calendar way back in The Day just wanted to breeze right through a few days faster.

17. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Looking at the Roman calendar, yeah, you're right. My bad :eek: That one started with Martius (March), and the 5th & 6th months were Quintillis and Sextillis. Numa Pompilius added Iunarius (January) and Februarius (February) around 700 BCE. Quintillis and Sextillis were renamed Ilius (July) in 44 BCE and Augustus (August) in 4 BCE.

Basically, emperors, kings, and popes just did what they wanted without real regard for much of anything but their egos (hence July & August being the only consecutive 31-day months). Add to that the confusion between lunar and solar calendars (or combinations thereof, like the Chinese calendar), and you have a chronometric train wreck.

18. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

It's so people can call Black History Month racist.

19. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Well, when you put it like that it sounds kind of creepy.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It would screw the poem up.

21. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Yah 2000 years or so ago a bunch of Italians nailed a Jew to a couple pieces of wood then later started worshipping him and it somehow turned into kids eating Cadbury eggs hidden by a bunny rabbit suspected to have a chicken fetish.....creepy indeed.

22. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I just meant the part of about celebrating his death. The rest of it sounds like a crazy movie.

23. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

I don' t know but I like two fewer days in between paydays.

24. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

It's much less creepy when you notice that Easter is a pagan holiday that was only twisted to apply to Christ's death relatively recently.