Why the hype for Arrandale for average computer users?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Feb 8, 2010.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I understand not wanting to spend your money on "old technology" when new ones are just around the corner, but if all you do is use iTunes, surf the web, etc what difference does it make? Why not wait until the current gens drop in price?

For people who are hardcore video encoders and editors and such, I understand. Same with videogames, it helps to have edge, but Macs aren't really gaming machines.

So I beg the question, why?

I just got my 2.66 c2d 15" replacement machine today and i love it. i don't think i could ask for a faster machine, even though that will be trumped soon enough it seems. I almost held off and waited until the new ones came out possibly tomorrow, but I've been playing the waiting game for too long and just need a fully functional and stable machine at school at this point.

Your thoughts?

2. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

Why do people who regret purchasing old technology insist on pacifying their feelings by attempting to insult those who are wiser?

3. nigameash macrumors 6502

You waited till today, couldn't you wait a day longer? :p

4. Belm macrumors regular

because the same $1199 you pay today can buy a much better machine tomorrow if you're patient.

5. Dekimasu macrumors regular

Average users tend not to buy new machines at the same pace as power users, so for many people, this will be their first machine in years... perhaps their first Intel machines. That's exciting.

And since these people also likely anticipate that they are buying a laptop to last them several years, they want to make sure that the computer will still be functional at the end of its cycle. A C2D may have basically the same value as an Arrandale to those users now. However, 4-5 years from now the C2D will be very outdated; the Arrandale may still be usable. :)

6. kenbrinkman macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

7. jus10p macrumors newbie

No need for the average person to wait. I am waiting in hopes of a more powerful video card because I occasionally like to play the newer games, but I would probably be happy with a C2D.

8. iphoneZ macrumors regular

9. carljohnston28 macrumors member

Indeed, why would people want better specs for the same amount of money.

Weird.

10. NetShroud macrumors newbie

NetShroud

Arrandale brings faster processors and new technologies such as Turbo Boost. The 'average' computer user will probably notice a small performance increase on processor-intensive tasks, or even IGP-intensive tasks (if they have no discrete GPU).

11. mx12 macrumors newbie

3 year life

I try and keep my laptop for about 3 years before I update, and I currently have a 2007 MBP. I figure if I wait, it gives me the maximum amount of time, when I have the most up to date hardware. Also, I am a software developer and I am constantly feeling the limitation of my old hardware.

I am also curious, since you are posting on the mac rumors forums, you obviously must have been aware of the update cycle, so why didn't you just wait? I guess I see it as, if you are going to spend the money, why not wait until after an update so that you, for at least 6-8 months, have the top of the line PC.

12. mansanas macrumors regular

personally im waiting for the update more for the savings, i need the specs of the higher end mbp 13 for the price of $1200

13. sunnylee macrumors newbie

I don't think he's trying to pacify his feelings. I have been asking myself this same question as I sit and wait until new computers come out. I dont truely know the capacity of this potential update. So Im not sure if I'm wiser for waiting or he's wiser for buying since the update means nothing to him anyway.

14. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I'm a video editor........ But up until today my laptop was a 1.67ghz Powerbook. It ran Final Cut Studio fine. But I do have a Mac Pro for my heavy lifting on the desktop.

Not sure if I am gonna get the updated unibody or a discounted 09 model yet.

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Did we just have a thread like this? Different title, same substance.

16. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Not sure, but we sure have a lot of smartasses in this forum

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

LoL on the forum five days and trying to call people out? Nice.

OP: People just want the latest/greatest/fastest just because. The older ones would still work great for plenty of users.

But the fact of the matter is that the majority of the buying public doesn't know or care about the "upcoming" refresh. They will buy MacBook pro with their income tax check and if the MacBook pro happens to be in stock at the local apple store or best buy then they will go home with the newer model.