Why the iOS 4.2 took so long?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lozpop, Sep 10, 2010.

1. lozpop macrumors 6502

Ok, now that we know that iOS 4 for iPad will not have anything exclusive or a different way to multitask on that big screen — sigh — why the hell the update took so long?

Seven months to develop a giant copy of the iPhone and iPod touch iOS 4?
    I'm eager to read you're ideas, because this is very stupid.

.. maybe we'll se some extra surprises by November?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Remember they have to combine the iPhone/iPod branch with the iPad branch. That kind of merging takes time.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Obviously you have never developed a major operating system for more than one device, with three different screen resolutions.

4. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Yeah, keep in mind, all the screen widget libraries have to be converted to support all the screen resolutions, all the apps have to be changed to be "Universal" and that's not as simple as you would think (for instance just the flow of the mail app TOTALLY is different between the iPhone and iPad.)

It always amazes me how people don't understand just how much effort and work goes into writing software, in particular graphical software!

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its just updating a bunch of PNGs, how hard can that be? lol

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Because you have...? :rolleyes:

7. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

Seven months since the iPad launch but >seven months for iOS4.x development for the iPad. SO still no excuse. Unless the tea lady is the only one on the job!

8. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Geezus, relax. It's not the end of the world......

9. sineplex macrumors 6502

The real answer is because a new model of iPad will be released with the iOS 4.2 release in November. It will have a camera, facetime and increased RAM. :eek:

Don't expect it to be iPad 2. Just a model update to quell the competition that will flood the market this coming holiday season. Then again it could well be the rumored 7" iPad. But I doubt it.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112958

10. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

WRONG....

The iPad was developed in secret by a team completely isolated away from the iPhone team. That's why they had to use the 3.x codebase as the starting point. 4.x wasn't ready, and they couldn't tell the 4.x team what they were working on.

So, resources that were spent working on iPad were building 3.2, when iPad came out, some of those went over to finishing up iOS4 for iPhone, and the rest stayed to fixed bugs on 3.2.1 and 3.2.2.

You can bet that they didn't even START porting iOS over for the iPad until they had 4.0 out the door and 4.1 was decently far along.

You have to understand, they only have so many resources of people who know the internals of the OS and know how to do the ports and those people had to also work on the fixes to 4.0.

Just chill. Nov is only 7 weeks away...

11. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I am pretty sure iOS Printing had a big part of it.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Not a major project, just skinning healthcare applications and intranet buildouts. But even smaller projects take a while.

13. bergmef macrumors 6502a

Can't you just lay it on the copier? :confused:

14. bergmef macrumors 6502a

No ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn. :p

15. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

That's not true. Gruber started that rumor earlier this year then took it back at WWDC months later.

From Daring Fireball:

"Another correction I gleaned at WWDC is that the iPad’s OS 3.2 was not, as I suggested in a footnote here, developed by a team working in secret, apart from the main iPhone OS 4 team. The iPad’s OS 3.2 is indeed a separate fork — 3.2 was never meant for use on iPhones or iPod Touches, and 4.0 will not be available on the iPad. But the team wasn’t separate — those working on 4.0 knew what was going on with the iPad and those working on the iPad knew what was going on with 4.0."

http://daringfireball.net/2010/06/marble_mystery_solved

The changes and features included with 3.2 have already been included in iOS 4.0.

16. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Agree. I'm not a developer, but I am a black belt/project manager and first rule is that things look wonderful until you start to scale them and then your small issues all of a sudden become huge gaps. I can only imagine that software, especially OS, development follows the same principles.

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

~7 months is a long time now for a new operating system (~9 when it comes out)... Jeez I guess when upgrading to new operating systems for FREE people complain of release dates that are less than a year; I bet these are the same people that complain of softwares like Parallels giving them a newer full version in less than a year, but since they have to pay for it, they get mad and don't want to pay for it... :apple:

18. admanimal macrumors 68040

False...We know that it at least has printing, and I guarantee there are other minor changes to various things.

In any case, as others have pointed out, anyone complaining that a piece of software like this is taking a few extra months to perfect has never done any serious software development, if at all.

19. AndyMulhearn macrumors member

Or gone through the Leopard release which did the Apple reputation for software quality no good at all.

20. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Why do people start new repetitive threads over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over instead of using the search function.

21. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

Obviously you have.

22. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Obviously brain surgery is complex and time consuming. I can make that statement without having ever preformed it.:eek:

23. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Well put.
    One of the interesting features of buying Apple products is an update is never far away to make it better. consequently, that's why we don't get bored with our Apple stuff easily I suspect

24. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

But the iPad was released in April, well before the iPhone 4 and yet has an inferior iOS.

Mind you, who actually likes those awful folders? A full screen of them looks like a view through a telescope turned the wrong way around and a screen with one or two makes them look even worse when they surrounded by nice icons. Also, the (so-called) multitasking means clickety-click on that horrible button even more than now. And who cares a fluke about combining email accounts - just redirect your accounts to ONE other! Thank god the updates are free!
    :p:D

25. gatearray macrumors 65816

Wait, so the iPad has an "inferior" OS at 3.2, but iOS4 totally sucks?

You're also griping that iPad was released first and "yet" has an inferior OS to a device that came out nearly 3 months later?

I like folders, I like multi-tasking, I like unified inbox, and so do 10 million other iOS users, I reckon. :)