Why the iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by darkgremio, Sep 9, 2015.

1. darkgremio macrumors 6502

I don't really see the necessity of having one, the difference between both the Macbook 12 inch and the iPad Pro. Why bother buying the pro? Just upgrade to the Macbook, it would make sense. I pose these questions, due to the cannibalization of product lines.

Only thing I see thats good about the iPad Pro is the keyboard and the pencil, but thats not enough for me to purchase one on the first day. I have no desire to operate strictly iOS in a closed iOS atmosphere, in the terms of Mac OS its limited.

All in all if you buy all the accessories and everything you will equal up to the costs of a Macbook 12 inch, which offers portability and much more limitless features in the realm of freedom of a operating system.

When Apple boasts the power of a new processor, I find that it's mostly just allure. iOS is limited in what it can do in the realm of power. Power is dictated by what version of an Apple product you have. In reality there is substantial upgrades, but sometimes they can be marginal in terms of percent difference.

Here's what I wish, Apple refreshed the air with whatever digitizer technology is in the iPad Pro screen, and I can use the Apple pencil I would be sold.

iPad Pro is to large, but I am guessing this is not portability in mind.

2. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

For the pencil. Just that. For example, taking notes on the iPad Pro would be very easy for me (I'm studying physics) while taking them on a MacBook would be impossible. Also it'd make a GREAT design tool as a graphic tablet, but doubling also as a fully functional iPad, with all its features.

Without that pencil, I wouldn't see the point of buying an iPad Pro (unless you had a laptop already).

3. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

I've seen people/have friend who used just a regular iPad with some random stylus and take notes. It works fine. Currently I take notes with my Mac + using a Bamboo Wacom Tablet. Yes, its a minor hassle basically having another tablet but it already has all the functions of the Apple Pencil.

Don't know about your college, but its notorious for colleges to have super small desks spaces in classrooms or lecture halls. You're a physics major so maybe you use more lab tables which are more spacious.

Either way, I can't see brining a 12.9" tablet working out to well for most. Its going to fall of the desk in a single accidentally push.

4. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

I use a Cintiq drawing tablet, which cost me $999. I suspect that the iPad Pro + Pencil, which is comparable in price, will be functionally similar but with a better screen. That's why I'm considering an iPad Pro!

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

I agree that if you want the keyboard and 128gb then it gets too close to the MacBook price to be worth it. It seems that the apple pencil is the main selling point.

6. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

I agree regarding the Cintiq. It's more cost efficient and better for workflow if you can use an iPad pro to edit photos, sketches, or video. Keep in mind, you're not tied to your desk unless you decide to connect it to astropad or other apps like it. It just makes more sense to me since I need to edit in the field and the MacBook Air with a tablet was a pain in the arse. I need something more mobile but larger than my iPad Air.

7. timothevs, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

It is a win in my books on many accounts. Love the big screen, much more real estate for many of the productivity apps that one finds oneself using in a pinch. Even for fun activities like reading a comic book. Finally you can read a whole page in gorgeous resolution. Tintin, Asterix... Oh yeah!

But mainly I am excited for the Apple Pencil. The size of the iPad is a huge plus for taking notes, especially when writing with the pencil. Take it from a guy who has bought every stylus under the sun for the iPad and found it woefully lacking in one way or the other, due to the lack of support for active styli. Besides, while writing, you need a larger surface to rest your arm to take notes quickly.

I am giddy with excitement to see what excellent apps like Paper, Penultimate and Noteshelf will now be capable of, with native inking support.

It is the iPad I have always wanted. The previous generations just made me more acutely aware of my need.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think apple was trying to address two issues.
    First revitalize the iPad line, and secondly not endanger their laptop line.

Apple can't help but notice how popular Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 are. The very design of the iPad pro with Smart cover and pencil show how much they drawn inspiration from the Surface Pro.

One issue Apple has that MS doesn't is impacting their other products, Apple couldn't roll out an iPad Pro running OS X without seriously hurting their MacBook/MacBook Air lines.

Given the high price tag, I honestly do wonder how popular this will be since you can get a MBA/rMB for not much more

9. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I would love one. The price has me teetering- I wish they had a 64GB version. I use an iPad 2 right now as my work companion, and in all honesty, 90% of my work could be done using that device, but it lags and there are times I need more screen real estate.

10. leman macrumors 604

It doesn't make sense for you, but it makes sense to a lot of people who need to do specific tasks that are better done on a touchscreen device with a high-precision stylus. The iPad Pro does not replace a laptop — it is a specific tool that caters to specific needs. I'd rather have two different tools that are excellent at what they do as having a single one that can't do anything properly (like the Surface Pro).

11. ValO macrumors 65816

Why the ipad pro?

To allow developpers to develop apps with the same complexity and power as their x-86 counterparts.

After that arm based macbook with arm OSX, ditch the intel low power x-86.
    After that?
    Macbook pro gets arm based with arm osx, ditching intel even further.

In the mean while:
    Smart connector an arm based osx development allows for high powered ipad/macbooks hybrids.

And apple will have tons of more money, because they don' t have to depend on intel anymore.

12. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

Because the consumer might want a tablet that runs iOS and not a laptop that runs OSX? The products are totally different, I truly don't see the purpose to this question. If you want a laptop, buy the laptop. I want an iPad Pro because I don't need or want a laptop, and I'm happy Apple has finally released a quality stylus for the iPad. I like iOS and the apps available on iOS, especially those that will support the stylus. A Macbook has literally no value to me, as I already have a workhorse of a desktop PC, and I simply have no need to duplicate any aspect of that machines capabilities when I'm not at home.