Why the iPad we have seen will not be the final product. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mattydodgy, Feb 3, 2010.

1. mattydodgy macrumors member

mattydodgy

It's interesting. We have seen a recent splatter of news relating to the iPad with sites such as EnGadget and MacRumors of missing features. Personally, I highly believe that the iPad Steve showed us at the event last week will not be the finalized product.

We all know that the iPad has yet to be signed off by FCC, to which prevents us from pre-ordering the device. But is this the real reason?

My thoughts are lead to believe that the current 3.2 iPhone software released in the SDK are a basic guide for developers, to get to know how the device actually works to create apps that suite their business. With the launch of the device coming towards the end of March, a lot of people are speculating that this will not be the actual software used. 4.0 maybe launched with the iPad, thus giving features that we have not yet seen (and will hopefully be launched as an iPhone software update to current users). With recent patent applications from Apple, hot corners could be used to give more of a professional approach to the uses that customers are wanting, such as jumping between applications (multi-tasking), printing of documents (with appropriate WiFi enabled printers), transferring multiple material from one app to another (say a couple of pictures from the Internet to a word document with ease) or a basic file system that houses all of our wants and needs.

Pictures have been spread around the Internet with a camera embodied into the bezel, but no word of an iSight camera at the conference. Perhaps this will be a surprise to when the device is actually ready to be shipped. Surly Apple know a lot of people wouldn't buy the device without a camera, it's just PERFECT for video conferencing (and I'm not talking about a 5MP camera with flash, that will be for future versions of the iPhone). We have also seen that in the 3.2 SDK software that it supports video conferencing, etc...

Coming back to the FCC approval comment, as well as this being true, this could also be an slight coverup for the fact that Apple have not yet finalized the product. We have seen changes before that have been shown on events, to which are changed when they initially launch (iTV - AppleTV), and I'm not saying they are likely to change the name of the iPad, I highly doubt that. Think about it, they would also not let pre-orders take place if they are advertising a product that is going to dramatically change when it is actually ready for shipment, that would be a little wrong don't you think? Apple might be just creating hype around the device and giving customers an BASIC overall view of what it can do.

You never know, Apple could be doing a little market research to peoples comments around the iPad at the moment, it only takes a few software changes to do most things. All I'm saying, people are slating the product before it is actually ready for shipping... So fingers crossed, give it time, and Apple may surprise you. After-all Steve DID hint (towards the end of the event) in coming back in the next couple of months... Maybe to show the final product?

:)

What are your thoughts?

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

My thoughts are everyone should assume that what we were shown will be the final product. This way if they do add some features we can all be surprised, but if they don't we can avoid the cries of outrage that will inevitably result from people who expected them to add stuff.

3. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Anybody who is speculating that doesn't have any clue what they are talking about. 3.2 is what will be shipped with the iPad. They aren't releasing the 3.2 beta SDK now for the hell of it and then screw the developers with the release of the iPad. 4.0 will not be available until the Summer at least.

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

While it is possible 4.0 will be previewed before release, I would be guessing in saying it will not be ready for release of the wifi edition. Maybe for the 3G edition or within 2-3 months after that.

I don't think there will be any hardware modifications such as a surprise camera, more ram, smaller bezel or anything else people are dreaming up.

The hardware as you saw it previewed is likely what it will be. 4.0 will probably be announced relatively soon, but I would not count on it being out with the launch of the first iPad.

5. bossxii macrumors 68000

I don't see Apple adding say a camera at the last minute trying to suprise anyone. If they felt it was the right decision to add a camera it would have already been done. This wasn't something they just whipped up in the past 6 months. This has been evolving for some time. Everything believes this is the ultimate video conferencing device. It makes sense to me right off, but then exactly how would you hold this? One hand out in front of you? both hands? Take a 1.5 or 2lb weight and hold out in front of your fact for 10 or 20 mins, tell me how that feels? Would you set it down on a table or your lap and look down into it (nice view up your nose buddy).

The concept of it all sounds good, the practical use may be very different, hell I think the iPhone would better serve this purpose simply because it is smaller, easier to hold. The entire design is built on portability, if the only practical way to use video conferencing was to set it at a desk in front of you I think it kinda defeats the point. Not to mention adds one less reason for someone to spend double the money on a MB that has a cam.

As far as what we have seen, I think hardware wise yes, software no. I think Apple has some polishing to do software wise and we saw the basics of what it can do. I thin Appleinsider had an article not 48 hours after the keynote talking about an source from Apple in their business dev side talking about wifi printing across all apps and the ability for it to use file sharing with a corporate network. These types of things I expect to see either shown off a week or so before it ships, or quietly added as they get closer to shipping them. Watching a few of the media video's when they were messing around, they had some things like in iBook the search function wasn't working. It wasn't shown off because it may not be fully coded or put in yet. These small things may change, beyond that, I think were getting exactly what SJ showed us.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I believe you are setting yourself up for yet another disappointment

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Not gonna happen, Apple knew everyone would hate the iPad, yet they still released it, because it will be successful once people understand its purpose. Heck, it will be successful anyway, dont get your hopes up, if you want to hope for something, hope for iphone 4.

8. PlayHard macrumors member

No way

Sounds like wishful thinking. Just be happy with what has been announced or resign yourself to wait until a later version gives you what you want (if ever).

9. Sketh macrumors 6502

Sketh

I'm going to go ahead and assume you meant to say something different, as clearly not everyone hates the iPad, and the fog of negativity seems to be lifting somewhat.

But yes, it will be successful.

Anyway, I think the iPad is a finished product, it's very un-Apple to be like "Hey, this is what it is......psych!"

10. mattydodgy thread starter macrumors member

mattydodgy

It may well be wishful thinking, but I'm just trying to piece up all of my knowledge so far surrounding everything around the device. The camera situation seems prominent though, as we have seen bezels that hold a normal iSight camera at the top of the device... I don't know.

Saying that though, Apple really need to spruce up the software for it though before release. I just think if Apple want to enter the market with a device between the iPhone and the MacBook, surely they would make a product that is a standalone device.

I can't wait for the next generation iPhone, it does make sense to release the software (4.0) when they will be releasing the next generation. I've waited too long, and I'm not going to upgrade to another 3GS now (I broke mine so had to go back to 3G), just wait until summer (fingers crossed) for a new phone, and a new contract...

I still am going to purchase the iPad though, it will be GREAT for taking to lectures and seminars at University, and carrying everything I need in a thin portable device.

P.S - Screw flash. It sucks. Apple did the right thing not implementing it to both products.

11. admanimal macrumors 68040

I'm pretty sure we saw almost the exact same thing around the time of the latest iPod Touch revision launch and lo and behold, it has no camera.

12. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Well, it can be that one more thing. Perhaps, the ipad had the 3.2 version because the 4.0 is not ready. Our iphones have the 3.1x. The 3.2 version has the extra features for the ipad. In two month time, the 4.0 might be ready. Plus, the extra third month for the 3g model. Perhaps the web cam is not there because they had to add the 3g radios. Which carrier was the issue. Att was agreed with at the last minute as Verizon lost the bid. We heard that Verizon is still talking or trying to struck a deal. I am hoping for a "natal" like web cam that allows motion gestures.

13. nastebu macrumors 6502

This sounds right to me. I think we should trust that Apple thought long and seriously about the camera, but decided that the actual implementation of it was just too troublesome to release. The Apple philosophy on features seems to be to withhold them unless they can ensure a smooth experience using that feature. It's not difficult to imagine that most video-conferencing with an iPad would suck. It would be difficult to position, shaky to watch, the audio might be a problem, the battery might drain quickly, 3g connections might not work, etc. etc.

In other words, the absence of a camera doesn't seem like oversight so much as a deliberate decision to leave it out. For that reason, I wouldn't even count on a camera in iPad revision 2.

14. thejakill macrumors 6502

thejakill

There is no camera in the ipad because it would compete with MacBooks.

There is no camera in an iPod touch because it would compete with iPhone.

15. eagleis macrumors newbie

IMO the IPAD event was just to show off the hardware and applications. The problem that Apple has is that they have 2 new products they want to launch (IPAD and IPHONE 4G) and both are running Iphone OS which is also going to get a new version upgrade to 4.0. Apple wasn't going to launch all three in one event so they decided to launch the IPAD early with a basic OS. I think that the new IPHONE OS 4.0 will be announced before the launch of the wifi IPAD but won't be available until a couple months after.

The weather and stocks were curiously absent during the past event so there are going to be changes before the launch of the IPAD, the question is how big are these changes going to be

16. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

NOt happening anytime soon. Same applied for the iPt 3G. Apple has not released a new model with a camera YET, as it has not reached its product refreshment deadline.

17. Hmac macrumors 68020

No camera in the iPad because Apple couldn't get enough of them from the mfgr to meet expected iPad demand. But clearly the iPad was designed for use with a front-facing camera, both in hardware and software, and no doubt we'll see it in revision 2

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What Jobs showed off, is what we'll be buying. I'm not sure why, buy people are getting all wrapped up and about what the final product will look like. Which doesn't make sense since Steve showed off the final product.

You and others may not like the featuers, but that doesn't mean apple is going to suddenly start making changes to the hardware. Its much too late for that, they're already in the manufacturing phase and there' really no way to implement, test, retool, manufacture sufficient quantities for inventory and be ready in 60 days. Just not going to happen.

They would also not show off a product that was not feature complete to the world, that's quite un-apple, i.e., showing a product that's not ready for prime time.

So either way, they're no chance of seeing any new features on the iPad that were not shown off by Jobs

19. fobfob macrumors 6502

While I agree that video conferencing is problematic, I can forsee a totally new usecase for the front facing camera. Basically, as a still camera, but one that you basically "pose" for.

Think of it. It's like you are holding a large photo of yourself in your hand. You adjust your "pose" until you get it right. Yes I know this is possible with a webcam or iSight, but these are not portable. And not many portable cameras have a screen that pivots to the user- or if they do, the screen is very small.

Basically I see it as a fun toy that many will find to be a different "camera" experience than they are used to. Of course it doesn't replace a "real" camera, but then neither do phone cameras, and yet everyone just seems to use their phone now... like photogs always say "the best camera is the one you have with you".

Now, to answer the question, if the camera was to be included, Apple would not have missed the opportunity to have it ready for the launch. As for software, the various "hands on" videos taken that day show that there are significant bugs still. So I suggest that Apple will be concentrating on bug fixes and testing until it is released.

20. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

I can't remember a single product that Apple has released that had new, or hidden features, that weren't present in the pre release announcement

If I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up, but I think all this speculation is nonsense. We'll have to wait for revision 2 to see what Apple will, and can do, differently.

21. melman101 macrumors 68030

I completely agree. I don't think this has ever happened. What he showed, is what they are producing.

22. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

There was something not ready. Either the software was running late or the hardware was having issues. There's enough evidence to support the camera at least being thought about.

In project management, you only have a few choices when hitting a wall like that. Throw resources at it, extend the project or cut out the piece that is delaying the project and put it in a later release.

I suspect the iPod touch that was recently released went through the same thing. They could deliver something (maybe SJ wasn't happy with the software) and decided to pull the camera.

Chances are, whatever was wrong with the iPod Touch Camera was the same issue with the iPad.

They heard enough grief about it this release, that they'll either publicly announce why they didn't put a camera in (maybe in an interview), or release one in a rev. x product.

I don't think we've seen anything (at least recently) that's been shipped that wasn't in the dog and pony show.

23. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

Apple is not likely to make any changes other than stability and bug fixes until after

1. After they ship the iPad
    2. The SDK is updated
    3. Time passes for people to learn the new SDK
    4. The new iPhone is announced / 4.0 has a public demo

24. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

When you say missing features, do you mean the features that are missing from peoples expectations?

In the blogosphere, it's easy to speculate what may have been and fault a device for failing to meet those expectations. Apple, like other manufacturers, is constrained by the reality of their own product and manufacturing pipeline which is heavily influenced not only by engineering but by relationships with component suppliers and other partners.

I don't think, given that broader canvas, that there are features missing. It would be one thing if Steve Jobs had gone on stage with a bezel frame and placeholder for a touch screen. The missing feature would have been the touch screen.

If there's a suggestion that Apple should be supplying more apps, that's speculative as well. The iPad's screen real estate is greater than the iPhones, making the absence of compatible apps more conspicuous. Also, third party developers haven't had the opportunity to fill the home page with apps yet.

I don't blame people for hoping otherwise and count myself among them in some respects. But nobody should buy this or any device based on anything other than what is advertised at the time of release.

25. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

that's my view too, simple as that.