Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Why the iPhone 3GS destroys the Palm Pre:
Because most of us AT&T yahoos are locked into contracts for at least 12 more months!

/thread

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Then get on Precentral.net cause there are plenty of people who can't find one.

Just incase you think i'm just making stuff up:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aO8w4SDammvs

Yeah hold on to that link. It's already well known that Palm deliberately constrained supply to generate a false sense of demand. Stocking low guarantees cries of sold out. "yeah we had 10 and we're totally sold out" Look at the flagship stores. The lines were pathetic.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/06/palm-pre-goes-on-sale-nationwide-line-forms-on-the-right/

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Um who told you the Pre didn't' sell out?

That sucker can't be found anywhere and Palm is being criticized for not having enough phones at launch right now. (similar to the iPhone 2G launch).

Estimates are between 50k-100k...which is Sprints best opening weekend for a phone.

ANd why does everyone think Palm has to beat apple to "win".

What is there to win? They are reinventing their company and came out with a great v 1.0 device that will only get better.

People like Slappy get insulted when people say good things about the Pre so he feels the need to lash out and defend the iPhone....but these two can co-exist...much like RIM and Apple has been doing for the last 2 years.

Only 21% of the phones out there right now are smartphones....there is plenty of space out there for marketshare.

Dude they sold 50 000 in it's first weekend, that is pathetic for a phone hyped that much. They've been hyping it for 6 months.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Yeah hold on to that link. It's already well known that Palm deliberately constrained supply to generate a false sense of demand. Stocking low guarantees cries of sold out. "yeah we had 10 and we're totally sold out" Look at the flagship stores. The lines were pathetic.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/06/palm-pre-goes-on-sale-nationwide-line-forms-on-the-right/

Sprint even admitted they would be doing this. 50 000 in your open weekend is pathetic for a phone that has been hyped for 6 months. I read somewhere that like 80 percent of Pre buyers are exisiting Sprint customers, which means it doesn't have the pull of the iphone which brings other customers from other carriers. Something like 40 or 50 percent of new iphone customers are new to AT&T. With the 3g coming at 99 bucks, the only thing the Pre can only claim 3rd party multitasking as its main selling point which on a 3 inch screen its not that relevant to must customers.

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
With the 3g coming at 99 bucks, the only thing the Pre can only claim 3rd party multitasking as its main selling point which on a 3 inch screen its not that relevant to must customers.

Take the speed of the 3G S when it comes to switching between applications to get things done (multitasking) and Pre's multitasking becomes irrelevant. The only thing Pre really has is unhindered background processes and cleaner notifications. Sprint and Palm aren't going to sell that to many mainstream customers. Particularly if the system performance gets as bad as some Pre users have claimed. And Pre owners haven't even started getting applications that really run in the background.

16GB iPhone for $199 or 8GB Pre for $199 (after paying $299 and waiting on a rebate). People talk a lot of trash about Apple choosing AT&T (and I agree with much of it) but AT&T really let Apple define the experience... until MMS. :(

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Dude they sold 50 000 in it's first weekend, that is pathetic for a phone hyped that much. They've been hyping it for 6 months.

Analyst range goes from 50k to 200k.

I find it intriguing you grabbed the lowest number you saw and ran with that.

Again, the oriignla iPhone launched at 150k mostly because of supply constraint.

Just about all reports of this launch say a few things:

A. Successful
B. Supply constrained.

So the FUD that some people are trying to spread is hilarious.

hbg

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
A lot of those 50,000 units will be returned in the 30 day return period. I know- I had one and returned it and will happily keep my iphone 3G.

Frankly, the Pre is a piece of junk:

-Lousy battery life- several hours tops- and that's hardly using anything.
-Lousy keyboard (one article even has a fix where you put a paper clip under the battery so it won't get in the way of the slider).
-Can't use data and talk at the same time.
-No visual voicemail.
-Can't access exchange servers that require a pin- kills it for business users.
-Can't download music over 3G (Sprint won't allow it). Crashes a lot.
-Laggy.
-Cheapy plastic screen.
-Insufficient storage if you any meaningful music library.
-Sprint network awful.

I should have known better. Palm has never built good devices. My c-worker went through 5 Palm 700P's with Verizon, each of which was a lemon, and finally gave up. He'll never buy another palm again.

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
A lot of those 50,000 units will be returned in the 30 day return period. I know- I had one and returned it and will happily keep my iphone 3G.

-Lousy keyboard (one article even has a fix where you put a paper clip under the battery so it won't get in the way of the slider).
-No visual voicemail.
-Laggy.
-Cheapy plastic screen.
-Sprint network awful.

I should have known better. Palm has never built good devices. My c-worker went through 5 Palm 700P's with Verizon, each of which was a lemon, and finally gave up. He'll never buy another palm again.

:rolleyes:

I find it hysterical when someone insults Sprint and then goes back to AT&T.

EDIT: come to think of it...you're that dude on Precentral whining about the phone and trying to convince other people to return it.

ha...nevermind then.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
I really like Apple products. But the fanboys are an embarrassment. If they weren't just bandwagon fans, they'd see a quality product in the Pre, regardless of whether it suited their tastes. The Pre, while not perfect and not for everyone, is a fantastic product with nowhere to go but up.

Thanks to Apple for changing the game with the original iPhone. Means there's no way Palm could get away with continuing use of their PalmOS and underwhelming hardware... it just feels so much less robust than WebOS.

Seriously? I have an iPod Touch, and the more I use the Pre, the more I think I could ditch the Touch (if only the Pre had more storage).

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
Um who told you the Pre didn't' sell out?

Sprint told me. Do you need it from another horse's mouth?

Sprint Press Release: thirteenth paragraph said:
With the strong customer response to the launch of Pre, as expected, Sprint has sold out in many locations. Sprint is getting the device in to its retail locations as fast as Palm can make them.

And your Bloomberg article:

Palm Inc.’s Pre sold out within hours at some stores after Sprint Nextel Corp. released the touch- screen phone yesterday, as pent up demand from months of waiting met with limited supplies.

All, most, many, some... what does it matter when you're a Pre fanboy who can't face the facts that people are having to MacGyver the Pre to keep it from rebooting when using that magical sliding keyboard.

hbg

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
:rolleyes:

I find it hysterical when someone insults Sprint and then goes back to AT&T.

EDIT: come to think of it...you're that dude on Precentral whining about the phone and trying to convince other people to return it.

ha...nevermind then.

I gave it a real try. But it just didn't measure up. And yes, I have posted on PreCentral about my experiences. People can take them for what they are worth or ignore them. Since when is telling about my experience whining? I am not trying to convince people of anything. They'll decide themselves.

EDIT: One more thing. As to insulting Sprint I am just calling it like it is here in my market. Here AT&T is far better. That does not mean your experience is the same.

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I'm a 3G user that switched to the Pre this weekend and I'm really happy with it. It was really weird for me to use my friend's iPhone today, I'm too used to how intuitive cardview is. I also have not dropped a single call since Saturday, I used to drop a call or two per day on AT&T.

Different strokes for people, but this phone is going to be a success. How do you measure success? Does it sell enough units to turn a profit. The Pre will. It maybe no iPhone, but for me it's about $30 per month cheaper and I'm using a more reliable network. Oh, the Pre can't be compared to the Storm, that thing really is junk. If Apple's touchscreen is scored 100, the Pre is about a 98.

hbg

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
I'm a 3G user that switched to the Pre this weekend and I'm really happy with it. It was really weird for me to use my friend's iPhone today, I'm too used to how intuitive cardview is. I also have not dropped a single call since Saturday, I used to drop a call or two per day on AT&T.

Different strokes for people, but this phone is going to be a success. How do you measure success? Does it sell enough units to turn a profit. The Pre will. It maybe no iPhone, but for me it's about $30 per month cheaper and I'm using a more reliable network. Oh, the Pre can't be compared to the Storm, that thing really is junk. If Apple's touchscreen is scored 100, the Pre is about a 98.

I am glad yours is doing well. Unfortunately mine did not. I would reconsider it down the road, giving them a chance to solve some of the issues, at least that I had.

What do you like about it compared to the iPhone 3G, not counting the AT&T versus Sprint issue? How's your battery life been? Any slider issues?

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Truthfully, a lot of your "gripes" are personal preferences and not absolute-- and that's fine, you're entitled to your preferences. But there's no logic in the argument that "because the Pre does not meet my preferences" that "it's a piece of junk". The Pre is not junk to me at all, and I'm a big fan of Apple products.

-No visual voicemail.
-Laggy.
-Cheapy plastic screen.
-Sprint network awful.
- My battery life is just fine. I get through the whole day with a fair amount of use.
- keyboard works great for me, I still prefer it to virtual keyboards. Personal preference. I suppose I'm fortunate that my Pre has no issues with the battery not fitting right. Definitely a defect that should be replaced, but by no means universal.
- Visual voice mail? Not a deal breaker for me, and I'd be surprised if it didn't show up eventually (seeing as other Sprint phones do have it).
- Fair enough, but those users are not who Palm is targeting (Sprint actually has training on whether the Pre is right for someone or not)
- AT&T didn't allow music downloads over their cell network at first either. We'll see what happens (I think it's their loss by not allowing that).
- It is laggy sometimes. Not perfect by any means.
- Lots of things are made of plastic. Thus far the screen does not feel "cheap", to me, even if it's not glass.
- Actually I wish it had more storage too, but I didn't buy this to replace my iPod. My "meaningful library" would not even be served well by a 32gb iPhone-- though it does fit on a 160gb iPod Classic.
- the Sprint network is dandy where I am and faster than AT&T for data, not to mention less expensive.

I mentioned I have an iPod Touch. As far as phones go, I'm coming from a Treo 650 and then a Treo 755p. So you can see, from my perspective, how nice the Pre is to me-- PalmOS never felt very solid, and the Pre is a huge step forward for Palm. I think the iPhone is a great device. Just because I continue to be impressed by the Pre doesn't mean I think any less of the iPhone-- it still has strengths that the Pre does not.

I guess my point here is not to argue which phone is better, but to rather call a lot of people out on their attitudes and behavior-- you can highlight what you feel are the Pre's shortcomings and why you prefer AT&T / iPhone without resorting to hyperbole / sensationalism or name calling. That behavior only causes people to take you and your opinion less seriously. (I guess rational discussion isn't as fun as trying to prove your right and belittle others, huh?)

These are just phones. There's no prize for being right, and there's no prize for owning "the best phone". You just gotta use what works best for you and enjoy it. No one single product will be the best for every single consumer out there.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Any questions? Let's face it. iPhone 3GS wins. The speed, the design, the applications, the camera, the video, the software, and more. The Palm Pre does not beat it.

I'm loving the irony here. For MONTHS now I've been reading posts on this forum saying that people can't claim a phone which no one's even used is better than another handset.

See where I'm going with this? ;)

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
I'm loving the irony here. For MONTHS now I've been reading posts on this forum saying that people can't claim a phone which no one's even used is better than another handset.

See where I'm going with this?

Obviously nowhere. iPhone 3G S has prior products to base these assumptions from. iPhone 3G S already has a proven track record.

Palm Pre had zero, zero, zero.... to base their claims with.

hbg

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
Truthfully, a lot of your "gripes" are personal preferences and not absolute-- and that's fine, you're entitled to your preferences. But there's no logic in the argument that "because the Pre does not meet my preferences" that "it's a piece of junk". The Pre is not junk to me at all, and I'm a big fan of Apple products.

- My battery life is just fine. I get through the whole day with a fair amount of use.
- keyboard works great for me, I still prefer it to virtual keyboards. Personal preference. I suppose I'm fortunate that my Pre has no issues with the battery not fitting right. Definitely a defect that should be replaced, but by no means universal.
- Visual voice mail? Not a deal breaker for me, and I'd be surprised if it didn't show up eventually (seeing as other Sprint phones do have it).
- Fair enough, but those users are not who Palm is targeting (Sprint actually has training on whether the Pre is right for someone or not)
- AT&T didn't allow music downloads over their cell network at first either. We'll see what happens (I think it's their loss by not allowing that).
- It is laggy sometimes. Not perfect by any means.
- Lots of things are made of plastic. Thus far the screen does not feel "cheap", to me, even if it's not glass.
- Actually I wish it had more storage too, but I didn't buy this to replace my iPod. My "meaningful library" would not even be served well by a 32gb iPhone-- though it does fit on a 160gb iPod Classic.
- the Sprint network is dandy where I am and faster than AT&T for data, not to mention less expensive.

I mentioned I have an iPod Touch. As far as phones go, I'm coming from a Treo 650 and then a Treo 755p. So you can see, from my perspective, how nice the Pre is to me-- PalmOS never felt very solid, and the Pre is a huge step forward for Palm. I think the iPhone is a great device. Just because I continue to be impressed by the Pre doesn't mean I think any less of the iPhone-- it still has strengths that the Pre does not.

I guess my point here is not to argue which phone is better, but to rather call a lot of people out on their attitudes and behavior-- you can highlight what you feel are the Pre's shortcomings and why you prefer AT&T / iPhone without resorting to hyperbole / sensationalism or name calling. That behavior only causes people to take you and your opinion less seriously. (I guess rational discussion isn't as fun as trying to prove your right and belittle others, huh?)

These are just phones. There's no prize for being right, and there's no prize for owning "the best phone". You just gotta use what works best for you and enjoy it. No one single product will be the best for every single consumer out there.

I respect your views and appreciate them. 1) How is your reception? 2) Is your voiume on the headset and speakerphone loud?

nachtxeule

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
-looks i topic name-

-looks at website name-

-predicts stupid-

oh wait, i know why it destroys pre... because i'm buying one? OH WAIT GUYS ON THE INTERNETS, I WANT TO TELL YOU ALL HOW COOLER I AM.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
All the other smartphone vendors still don't understand one thing. It's not the hardware, but the software. The "main" bit of software is NOT the OS (WinMo is probably better off in the crappy OS cemetery) but the 3rd party applications. I could have a 10MP autofocus camera with the best lens out there but it won't do much if it only takes stills and video. The iPhone can scan barcodes, do facial recognition, edit video, edit pictures with some cool effects. Palm came too little, too late. App Store has more than 8X the other "app store" equivalents combined.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
I respect your views and appreciate them. 1) How is your reception? 2) Is your voiume on the headset and speakerphone loud?

1) Haven't had any "problems" with reception to speak of. I've been with Sprint for a number of years and reception has improved over time, though I have had phones with crappy reception (samsung). I do notice the signal strength bounce around kinda strange (have to be honest I don't normally look at a phone as often as I do a new one), and when in basement I've seen it momentarily display that's its on 1rxtt (just for a second or 2), but I haven't had any problems.

2) headset is adequate, I haven't really given speakerphone a good go yet. I'll have to get back to you on that.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
All the other smartphone vendors still don't understand one thing. It's not the hardware, but the software. The "main" bit of software is NOT the OS (WinMo is probably better off in the crappy OS cemetery) but the 3rd party applications. I could have a 10MP autofocus camera with the best lens out there but it won't do much if it only takes stills and video. The iPhone can scan barcodes, do facial recognition, edit video, edit pictures with some cool effects. Palm came too little, too late. App Store has more than 8X the other "app store" equivalents combined.
Ahh there's room in the market for both. To suppose that Apple is the only company or brand that will ever have good third party software support... or that all the other platforms are at a standstill while Apple forges ahead... well let's just stop and think about that.

Yeah the Pre doesn't compare in 3rd party support today. Again, thank you Apple for highlighting how huge third party apps can be. I'm sure that as long as it's worthwhile and not cost prohibitive, developers will develop for other platforms.

It's my opinion, however, that the iPhone is not wildly popular because of 3rd party support. It's popular because it's an iPod / Apple product, and third party support just makes it more attractive. Apple knows how to make great products, AND they know how to market and sell their products.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
Why do we have to act like children when it comes to these device's. My phone is better than your phone..

Everyone has there own choice for what phone they need to make them happy.. I have an iphone and like I said in another thread, if I find something that suits my needs better than this phone I will purchase it if it fills my needs. It doesn't matter what company makes it, as long as it's on a good network i could care less..

I see many people saying that the battery life of the pre is really bad..

I can remember when the iphone's battery was just as bad, and what did apple do, the sent out an update to correct the problem.. Palm will do the same for the pre...

I do love my iphone but there are other phones out there that DO other things better than the iphone, and the iphone does things better than the other phones do..

James

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.