Why the iPhone 4 needs to be replaced.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wirelessmacuser, Jul 22, 2010.

1. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Why the iPhone 4 needs to be replaced.*

Let's set aside our personal experiences and opinions about the iPhone 4 just for this one thread.

Instead let's focus purely on the public relations nightmare it's been for Apple. And why that needs to go away.*

I believe the sooner the iPhone 4 goes away the better. The *fastest, cleanest way for Apple to do this is to make this a short product cycle, and introduce the successor.*

In doing so, this entire issue is over. This places the focus where it needs to be, on the new model.*

The reason I created this thread is because I'm an Apple enthusiast that wants a new iPhone that will create a positive buzz for the company.*

No matter what takes place around the iP4 at this point, it's just too late. It would only add more debatable fodder for users, bloggers, and the mainstream press to argue over.*

Finally, I'd like the iPhone to rise to the top again, to be perceived as the world class smartphone it can be.*

It's time to move on Steve, get the hint.*

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

If they did that and came out with a new iPhone in a couple of months, you'd have alot of pissed off customers who just bought the 4.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Breaking tradition with their update cycle will wreak more havoc on their PR. If they released a phone under 1 year, it would be the same as releasing a fix for the new iPhone. In short - you'd have millions of angry people who upgraded to a phone which isn't even a year old and may or may not have a defect (depending on what camp you're in)

So I disagree. The solution isn't to bury the iPhone quickly with a new product.

4. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

This entire issue will be over as soon as adult people stop behaving like children and move on with their lives. ;)

5. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Yes because making iPhone 5 will fix their PR and not seen as a money hungry company that just cares about the next big sale. Oh.

Only way to somewhat make it better would be to take the xbox 360 way and make a fix or new phone with the fix.

6. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Exactly. Whole new controversy. ~June 2011 is when the next gen will hit.

7. quotison macrumors member

Didn't you create another thread saying the exact same thing? Except you posted some column and called it "the Press" calling for the iPhone 4 to be replaced.

Not really sure why people think they have credibility when they are an anonymous internet poster talking about how public relations work or how a major corporation is or should be run. I'd greatly prefer if people kept to their personal experiences, as that might actually be relevant to the rest of us.

8. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

Considering this is an extremely successful product (3.5 million sold? I'm not sure of the exact number) why would they push it out?

9. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

The phone is selling like mad, people want it. People like to bitch, but then still end up doing what they bitch about, in this case, buying the phone.

The blogs site have already decided to leave this alone as has the national media, it's getting back to business as usual and there is no doubt in anyones mind which phone is the best out there. The people still making the most noise are those that never wanted one in the first place, or are already rooted in the Android camp.

Stop worrying about Apple, based on recent profit numbers I tend to believe they know how to run a show.

10. mstrze macrumors 68000

Millions are using it without incident...they STILL can't keep them on the shelves. I am going to be buying mine within the next week or so...

And YOU think that they need to get RID of this product??? :eek:

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Would a replacement iPhone 4 make the vocal minority stop starting pointless, redundant threads? If so, then the answer is...maybe.

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

These.

By the way, wall street seems to love Apple right now (although i think the folks over @ JP Morgan are smoking pixie dust by saying the stock has a price target of $400 in twelve months). The only thing that'll stop Apple right now is if the iPhone 4...uh...hated america? I dunno. Seems like nobody cares anymore.

13. PatriotInvasion macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

Time heals all wounds my friend. This story, like many others before it, will go away. I have absolutely zero issues with my iPhone 4 and am well aware that I own the best phone in the world.

What's the alternative? 17 different "Droid" phones with hideous Verizon Wireless logos painted on the back? Yuck. Android is an operating system leased to multiple hardware vendors, resulting in an inconsistent and confusing array of products...Hmmm, sound familiar? Cough ~Windows~ Cough...I'll stick with my iPhone 4 and :apple:

14. Stein357 macrumors 6502

Apple is NOT going to release a new phone until next spring :).

15. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

People got caught up in the media frenzy and now its died down droves of people will go and buy it.

It got way out of hand and it goes to show how much people rely on the mainstream media for there half truth news, sensationalism and fear.

Go and buy the phone if you dont like it you can take it back but im sure the vast majority will keep it!

16. Steveo47 macrumors regular

3 million + people would be very.. very angry. You want a PR crisis? Well release a new iphone in a month.

17. admanimal macrumors 68040

So the solution to an apparently questionable product design is to rush out a new design? There's definitely no way that could go wrong...

18. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I think making a new phone is completely unnecessary. I am happy that Apple hasn't made some sort of huge reaction to this just for PR. To me they did the right thing, they're giving out free bumpers/cases so that fixes the problem for the very slim minority that actually experiences it. I think it's great that they're standing behind their product, it show that they're dedicated to it and this in turn shows in the quality of the product. Personally I wouldn't change anything about the iPhone 4 at all. I would hate to see them change anything just because a few people whine about something, I appreciate that they haven't stooped to punishing everyone else by making compromises in the product just to satisfy a ver vocal minority. This whole incident has made me really like Apple as a company.

19. rotlex macrumors 6502a

LOL, too true. I have one. Love it. Best phone I've ever owned. My ONLY complaint right now is I can't get a white one yet for the wife! :D

20. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Hopefully modified by the time the Verizon or T-Mobile version comes around.