Why the iPhone 6 isn't in "Don't Buy" mode at MR?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by arkestra, Aug 19, 2015.

1. arkestra macrumors newbie

when the 6s should be available in 3 weeks... I don't get it.

2. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Because everybody knows the new iPhone is coming in 3 weeks?

3. JXShine macrumors 6502

JXShine

What? I think you just answered your own question

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Because everyone there is still on vacation and couldn't care less.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Because the 6/6+ are still great phones. Just because something new is coming out doesn't make the last model garbage.

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

This is true. However it makes no sense to pay full price for a product when the next revision of that product is coming out very soon for the same price.

Apple never discounts their products; you could theoretically buy an iPhone 6 the day before the 6s comes out for the same price as the 6s. That would be pretty dumb I think.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not sure why it hadn't flipped to Don't Buy yet...we'll have to check into our algorithm and see what's going on there. In the meantime, I've manually updated the recommendation...DON'T BUY!

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Great! While we're on the subject of the Buyer's Guide, is there any chance the Retina and non-Retina iMac models can be separated, like is the case with the MacBook Pro? The single entry for iMac is rather confusing, especially since the latest update was only adding a low-end Retina model.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

iMacs are a mess and unfortunately a bit difficult to separate, as seen with the latest change shifting the mid-tier 27" model from non-Retina to Retina.

Really hoping with the move to Skylake all of the iMacs will be back in sync, regardless of non-Retina at low-end or Retina at high-end. If things are still a mess after the next round of updates, we'll reexamine things, but for now from a long-term perspective separating them now may not be worth the effort and confusion.

(Separating isn't without risk of confusion, as we still get messages from people confused about non-Retina and Retina MacBook Pro recommendation entries. Really hoping Apple just ditches the last non-Retina one soon. :))

10. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Fair enough, I understand the decision to wait.

However, it might be time to tweak how updates in the Buyer's Guide are displayed in general, especially since Apple is releasing different models at different times. For instance, with the rMBPs, "days since last release" only applies to the 15", and the previous release only applies to the 13". Looking at the Buyer's Guide, there isn't any way to tell.