Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexh516

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
remember in the wwdc 08 keynote when steve jobs shows a slide comparing 3g vs. edge vs. wifi speeds. He goes to the National Geographic website for a test on the iphone.
Well, my friend and I noticed something very interesting...
we went to that same website on our iphones and realized that the picture of the lion says "This presentation requires flash. Download the free flash player"
well on the iphone in the keynote... the page does not ask to download the player! as if it already has it

Check it out yourself.
Did steve jobs change the image displayed to the audience or was adobe flash already installed in the new iphone update?
Hmm....

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Yeah I would bet that they didn't want to remind everyone that flash isn't supported, so they just edited it out.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Already debunked. Easy to do so yourself.

If you go there with a Flash-enabled device, you don't see a cheetah at all... you see a whole bunch of other animals and menus.

If you go there with mobile Safari, you see a cheetah with "flash is needed" sign.

In the WWDC presentation, there's a cheetah with no text. Therefore the presentation was touched up to delete the Flash reference.

Apple did the same web page cheat back when they used the NY Times in an ad. Just another case of them pretending that they're showing "the real internet".

grndslm

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2008
Apple did the same web page cheat back when they used the NY Times in an ad. Just another case of them pretending that they're showing "the real internet".
HAHA, I love it... they definitely think they're the first with the "real internet", but they don't have Flash support. Definitely isn't the real deal unless you've got Flash support.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Don't forget that as recent as March 5, Steve Jobs said that the desktop version of Flash runs too slowly on the iPhone, the cellphone version of Flash isn’t functional enough, and there is no middle ground. So unless since then Adobe has been working on a fast version of Flash that doesn't use up much CPU (and thus battery) power, and is a lot more fully-featured than Flash Lite, don't expect Flash on the iPhone anytime soon.

grndslm

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2008
Nokia N800/810 both have 400MHz ARM processors that can handle Flash. What reason is there that the iPhone's 620MHz ARM processor can't handle it??

I think Apple just doesn't care to fix it. Or they don't care to pay licensing fees to Adobe (Does Adobe charge licensing fees for Flash per device?).

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
No, those Nokia processors handle "Flash Lite", which Steve Jobs thinks isn't useful enough. Flash Lite, for example, can't handle YouTube or Flash Games - it's pretty much all about simple flash animations.

grndslm

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2008
Taken from http://aralbalkan.com/1000 ...

So, how does the N800 perform with Flash 9 content?

What can I say? The first thing I tried was the SWX Service Explorer, which is a Flex 2 application. And it ran. I'm floored right now. This is the first time I'm seeing a Flex application run on a device. It's not snappy but it's not unusable either. Wow! No script timeouts or anything. Love it! :)

Whatever Flash Lite is... the Nokia N800 has a slower processor AND 2.5x many pixels to deal with, so it doesn't seem like Apple should have any excuses. Maybe every Flash application won't work, but YouTube works just fine as long as you upgrade to the newer OS. The Nokia delivers "real internet" in your pocket (No need for a special YouTube app), and Apple's still gettin' there.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
Someone said that Flash Lite couldnt manage flash games, whatever, all I want is working flash sites. :(

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
No, those Nokia processors handle "Flash Lite", which Steve Jobs thinks isn't useful enough. Flash Lite, for example, can't handle YouTube or Flash Games - it's pretty much all about simple flash animations.

educate yourself before you post. you can view the real youtube site and watch youtube videos with flash lite 3 in the browser on nokia smartphones like the n95.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.