Why the iPhone won't change

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mjz147, Mar 26, 2010.

1. mjz147 macrumors regular

The iPhone came out in 2007 and changed the game in the cell phone, and multimedia player world.

everyone thinks and expects the next gen iPhone to be sooo much different than the last one.

I don't own an iPhone but if I had GSM I would, I used one for 3 weeks and thought it was great.

I believe that the iPhone will never change its hardware design in terms of visible appearance. They might add a touch sensor in the front or the side, and possibly try and hide a front video camera, but even that would be odd. It is very possible for them to make a faster processor, and make a 64GB and 32GB model.

The camera will most likely upgrade to 5 Mega pixels, and apple will think that its groundbreaking.

Apple likes to keep things simple, They have released 3 different devices and from the front you cannot tell the difference.

The iPhone excells because its software and hardware work so well together. The 3G has a 400 MHz processor I believe and it works just as fast if not faster than the Hero, Pre, and many other devices. The 3GS launches many apps faster than the nexus and other decives. When it comes to parts, repairs, and making accessories the closer the design the better, plus alot of people say it is boring, it is still the sleekest device out their.

The platform and OS is the most stable and smooth out their. No crashes, force closes, error messages, lag or anything. Everyone will throw a fit if the next iPhone has a 480*320 screen resolution, 3.5" screen. to tell the truth the screen on the iPhone is one of the best I have seen, and in terms of typing and using the Screen, The iphone is still hands down the best phone. I have used the Pre, Hero, iPhone, nexus, HD2 and none of them come close to the iPhone, the sensitivity on the iPhone is the best. Not to mention the multitouch and smoothness of scrolling, and panning around images or lists, no device has come close.

The reason the iPhone's look will not change is because it works. Yes it may be nice to add a touch sensitive gesture area, and hey they might even do that. But when it comes to landscape mode typing and browsing and gaming it is even on both sides. The Pre doesn't even have an On screen keyboard. The Hero had an extra inch and a half on the right, and WM Phones don't even have auto correct. The iPhone is easiest to use, its simple look and design are what make the OS work as good as it does.

In terms of app quality the iPhone is still the most stable one. The games are the best, and the apps are smooth as can be. The developers only have to design an app for one device for the iPhones, and iPod touch. If the screen resolution is different on the iPhone, old iPhone owners will have to wait for new versions of apps, and the tons and tons of apps working smoothly on the platform will turn into the problems android phones have. I am not a developer and their maybe a way to just display the apps on the better resolution screen in the 480*320 resolution, but you know what I mean, people will want to develop for new devices.

Lets predict some realistic features that can come on the next iPhone. I can definetly see an improved camera, possibly a gesture/touch sensitive area, and maybe a front facing camera, improved processor and memory will most likely improve too.

but in terms of software, I think apple has something up their sleeve, and they are gonna need it. With the release of the HD2, nexus, droid, and EVO 4G coming this summer, apple cannot sit back anymore and expect to outsell the rest. Apple has had a full year to develop a kick ass device, lets hope they follow through.

This thread was not made to tell others they are wrong or stupid about speculations but just to be realistic about what apple would do. I am a big fan of the iPhone, because of how easy and fun it is to use, and hope the next gen is gonna set the bar high again.

2. corriewf macrumors 6502a

I think they won't upgrade the Iphone too much simply due to the Ipad. It is simple marketing. Why would you release an Ipad as revolutionary and then have a 3.5/4 inch screened iphone that can do JUST as much as the Ipad? They are not gonna give a front facing camera if they didn't even give one to the Ipad. They are not going to give a 1 ghz cpu to the Iphone if the Ipad doesn't have one. It is simple and it is bad news for us Iphone lovers.

1. Ipod Touch- no phone
    2. Iphone- Step up from Ipod Touch, has phone camera etc
    3. Ipad- step up from Iphone. Faster processor and larger screen.
    4. Mac Book- Full computing
    5. Imac- Computing all in one

So you can bet that the Iphone 4 specs will be inbetween the current version and the Ipad, which is lame.

3. Skinfaxi macrumors member

So just because the current model is still a relative competitor means that they're not going to change anything?

Apple would be stupid to keep the current design. It's customer base is ready for something new. It shouldn't be radically different, but it will be different.

They don't spend millions on R&D to continue manufacturing old designs.

4. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

The look will never change, but apple must realize the OS is in desperate need of overhaul. Jobs has said he plans to leapfrog Andriod with the next iPhone, and the current OS just wont cut it.

5. str1f3 macrumors 68000

Totally disagree. Apple will not limit the specs on the iPhone for the sake of the iPad when they are in a heated battle with Android. Right now specs are very important unlike the PC market because it can mean a lack of features.

As for the iPad, for right now it is somewhere in between a MacBook and iPhone. In five years, it'll be a full blown computer. It's pretty clear that Apple is basically rebuilding the Mac OS from the ground in the iPhone OS. The iPhone is a computer. The only limiting factor is the screen size and being locked into the App Store.

6. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Since when did Apple care what anyone is doing? They have always been on their own track and do their own things. We all know Steve Jobs lives in his bubble and when his mind is made up, it's done. Apple has always cared about providing the first wow product, but not so much about maintaining that wow. If you are a techie, you want to pay attention to Apple's new releases, not to their upgrades. If you wanted a smartphone, Apple started it. If you wanted the lightest laptop, you wanted Apple's. If you want the greatest technology, you have to buy outside of Apple. Other companies always come behind Apple and take their ideas further with better hardware. It's a fact. If I want the newest best graphics card, processor, etc, I have to get a windows machine. If I want the lightest computer with the best specs, I have to get a windows machine. If I want the best smartphone with a capacitive touchscreen, I have to get an HTC Android variant. If I want to be the first person with any of the above, I need to get it from Apple.

I don't mean to belittle Apple at all. Their products are awesome! I love them! I just think people are fooling themselves on what Apple's corporate culture and goals are. Steve Jobs doesn't care about market share. He doesn't care about being the best. He cares more about being the first. :)

7. corriewf macrumors 6502a

I think your wrong. You make one large mistake. You assume that Steve Jobs actually cares about market share and/or Android. Steve will wake up in the morning, take a look at the EVO and write it off as another device with that " other " software. He will chuckle to himself thinking about it's flaws. You need to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Z7eal4uXI

After your done watching that, you will see what I mean. To Steve you are either a stable great Apple product or your just another BSOD device. ;)

I on the other hand do not share his opinion and would glady take an EVO variant on AT&T. :)

8. mpossoff macrumors 68020

As a average Joe user I strongly disagree . Maybe if you a techno gadget geek . I bet most smart phone users are average joes like myself.

An average Joe like myself looks for ease of use, simplicity, etc.

All I need to do is check email, instant chat and surf the web and play games.

The iPhone just does that with no major issues I hear from other smart phone users of other products.

Marx

9. str1f3 macrumors 68000

Here is why I disagree. Apple has been successful on the PC end because they live on the high end of the market. With the iPhone, they are still living on the high end of the market but they are competing with every other smartphone maker in that space. If you look at each of the iPhone hardware updates, you'll see at the point it was released that it was on par with every other smartphone manufacturer. The only point I may agree with you is the webcam.

It's cool if you want the EVO. I'd switch if the OS didn't have multitasking even if I'm not a fan of Google. Part of the reason I'm still holding out is to wait and see what happens (and I'm under contract until late July). To me, even with the iphone's severe flaws, there still seems to be a lack of refinement and cohesion to the Android OS and Google's approach. Apple intros the iPad and it works with all App Store apps. Google will be basing their tablet off of Chrome OS which in many ways is the exact antithesis of Android and takes the appraoch similar to the Pre. For those reasons I may also get an iPad as well depending on OS 4.0.

10. rtabdo macrumors 6502

I actually totally disagree there. I don't see the iPhone as an iPad competitor. A phone is much more of a necessity then a tablet.

Also, the comparison of screen size is like saying "Apple will will never make a 27" iMac because they have a 21.5" iMac" The experiences on a 4" screen vs nearly a 10" screen are TOTALLY different.

At the end of the day Apple clearly see's the iPad as a separate product BETWEEN the iPhone and Computer, not a competitor and for that reason I expect the iPhone to see a pretty good change this coming summer.

Apple generally thrives when they are the "underdogs", I can't wait to see what they do.

11. rtabdo macrumors 6502

One problem with Android like devices are that there are already compatibility issues when it comes to hardware/software. Different screens on different devices are already giving problems because the software isn't MADE for that specific device.

Google is almost like shooting itself in the foot by letting all these Android devices compete against one another. One year ago anyone who has a G1 is out of luck because they have yet to allow you to update to 2.1 and its almost like Google "doesn't care" about the G1 anymore. A few months ago, you had the Nexus One come out and that just got overshadowed by the EVO 4G. The way things are going right now, they are literally competing against each other. Soon the Droid will be against the Nexus One on Verizon...then what?

What I love about the iPhone is that everything is done in house and yes, that does mean some limitations, but it also insures PERFECTION between hardware and software.

That's why all Apple products work so well.

12. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

13. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Well, in my perspective your correct about Apple being on the high end, but more because of looks and elegance. Their computers tend to not be on the high end of performance. They look great and feel great! The OS is smooth, but at the end of the day, their hardware is far from on top in most cases. The Iphone follows suite. It's the best looking phone on the market and I still think it is.

I want a phone like the EVO and would much prefer to have that phone from Apple. I am waiting it out to see what happens. I hope Steve is a little more open minded and decides to crank out something that will beat the competition.... But first he has to admit they are in fact competition. Steve likes to live in his own little world when it comes to that aspect. What we see as a consumer and what he sees is very different.

It's not that I see the Ipad and Iphone as direct competitors but I do foresee a battle for the limelight. Apple wants to make a huge splash with a new product. Why would they want to release a phone that is too amazing? If it is too good, it may take thunder away from the Ipad and entice some people to just get an Iphone instead of an Ipad. For example, I like the Ipad, but the Ipad is limited software wise in the exact way the Iphone is limited. The only difference between the Iphone and Ipad is the screen. If they bump the Iphone up to 4 inch screen with a 1 ghz processor etc etc, I probably wouldn't want an Ipad. Yes the Ipad can't make a phone call, but if the difference between the Iphone and Ipad is great enough, I can see having BOTH devices instead of just having the Iphone. It's marketing.

14. terraphantm macrumors 68040

The iphone won't change overall agree, but now that there's a device with a different resolution, I hope they increase the resolution. 800x533 or so would be great.

15. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I couldn't agree more. I think other companies know that and that's why they are blowing the iPhone specs out of the water at this moment because they know the next iPhone wont come close to them. I think this is where i break away from the iPhone and go to something more advanced.

16. corriewf macrumors 6502a

It's sad, but true. I still hope that Apple will come out with an amazing Iphone this year, but most likely it won't match the others. Steve doesn't care about the others.... they are wrote off as inferior. He still thinks the Ipad is amazing although it really didn't come out with the specs anyone thought it would. Most people expected an OS that would be more like a computer's instead of the Iphone OS. The Ipad is still pretty neat, but I will personally pass. For the size and money, a cheap notebook will suffice. Heck, I just recently bought a HP 600 touchsmart which is 23 inches and amazing. It might not give me portability, but it serves my touch screen goodness need. :)

The second BIGGEST thing that makes me wonder about the next Iphone is timing. Even IF Steve was to see Android as competition. Even IF Steve cared about market share. These phones go into development a good year before we see them. The phone we get this summer was designed last summer. Everyone thinks that just because HTC released a few surprising phones that Apple would come out with one. You have to think about a year back and ask yourself, a year ago would Apple even think about a need for a 4 inch screen? I am sure the 4th generation Iphone prototype was done before Dec, I doubt they thought a larger screen would be warranted. Before HTC pulled them off recently I didn't even think a 4 inch screen would look good on the Iphone.

Now that Apple is playing catch up, and it takes them a year to develop a phone, I doubt we will see them match the competition. The summer is time to jump ship if specs are important to you. I probably will. It's not like I can't go back to Apple next year. :)

17. rerelease macrumors regular

what on earth are you planning to gain from this 800x533 display? Hi-def app ads?

18. mpossoff macrumors 68020

What is this hype all about in this thread that the iPhone is losing ground or not?

I mean what can one gain in reality?

To me the iPhone is like a laptop in that it pratically does what my desk top can do.

What more can be gained with a hand held that is a phone and also like a mini lap top?

Marc

19. Ab10la macrumors newbie

I would not put much stock into that. This is the same Steve jobs that told us netbooks were under powered and then gave us the under powered ipad. Apple is known to gradually intergrate feutures in their phone as a marketing ploy. They wont suddenly jump from a 3 MP camera to a 8 MP camera. I can't wait to be disappointed at the next iPhone launch and laugh.

20. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/12/23/omnivision.gets.doubled.apple.orders.too/

Remember the report in late december (source above) about the iPhone getting a 5MP camera and i thought well that's pretty good. But 8 months are going to go by and a 5MP camera seems nothing now. To the poster above that said Apple creates their products the year before, I agree. I try not to thinking they have 5 months to get jump on things but Apple just doesn't seem to work that way. And Steve Jobs doesn't believe there is any real competition with the iPhone. I think that if the new iPhone comes out this year with lacking features, (like iPhone 3G w/o video) something major, a lot of people are going to jump ship because those features are necessary. Now they got away with it with the iPhone 3G because the iPhone was still relatively new and blew every phone out of the water. It can surf the internet and play crazy apps so the mere fact it couldn't do video wasn't a big deal. But if the new iPhone were to just get a minor speed boost or memory boost with a 5MP camera and that's it, many buyers will just leave and go to the awesome Android.

21. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

It would be smart from Apple to make an even better iPhone. Everyone is buying the iPad, but when they find out that the new iPhone is the best iPhone ever they are going to buy the new iPhone.

22. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Do you have the quote?

23. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Yeah it would be smart and I am sure they will make a better Iphone than the one we have now. I just doubt it will be too close to the Ipad. There is not THAT much difference between the Iphone now and the Ipad. I am talking about functionality. If I can get an Iphone that is very close in power to the Ipad, that's of course more mobile than the Ipad ( fits in my pocket ), why would I buy the Ipad? They do want you to buy both products.....

24. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a