Why the MBA works for me

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jeznav, Oct 21, 2010.

1. jeznav macrumors 6502

I know most people are having a hard time about the new MacBook Air's hardware specifications. That is the main problem.

Another problem is the fear of software obsoletion. This is why people want a higher specc'd to futureproof themselves when a new software update arrives. But there's always going to be a higher specc'd year after year. Does that make your software obsolete? Is your version 3 software obsolete when version 4 arrives? Did you lose productivity from that? Did you lose productivity when a new faster i7 core MBP arrived compared to your 2 year old Core 2 Duo? Does your microwave, toaster oven, frying pan, kitchen knife, obsoleted when a new model came out and lost all the potential productiviy? None of these tools have changed since you had them and will always perform the same way since you got them. Because of this fear, people want to have the latest thing.

My definition of obsoletence is when the product does not function anymore as it was intended when it was first created.

There are still people today that are using 10.4. It might seem obsolete to everyone else but its not for them because it still functions.

So when you look at the specs of the MacBook Air, its going backwards. Then everyone gets mad because it doesn't have this, it doesn't have that.

Try to understand that Apple created this for a thin and lightweight form factor of computing. Well guess what, you have to get rid of things to do that! Also you can't compare this to a MacBook Pro. The MacBook Air can never have the guts of the MacBook Pro. Otherwise I say that my MacPro is more powerful than your MacBook Pro. You can only compare this to its predecessor.

I know its a shame but everyone needs to evaluate what your needs are, properly.

Here is a simple guideline that will help you decide what is best to purchase and not relying so much on specs' comparison chart:

1. Is cost an issue?

2. What programs do you spend most time on, and do they need a high system requirements?

3. If your working on something productive, how is your workflow? Do you manage a lot of files, large files? Do you sync them to the cloud, or transfer them to external storage?

4. If you have an existing hardware that can to these things, is there a reason to upgrade to newer technology?

5. How often are you in proximity of a power socket?

6. Is size and weight an issue?

Ask yourself these questions and weigh them left and right. (Maybe I should make a flow chart)

I know Apple is one trick pony enticing you by the visual psychology making you want it at first sight. Notice the front page ad holding MBA by the tips of the fingers to emphasize weight and thinness against a negative background. There is that zen-ness feeling, clean, simple and nothing else. That is their magic.

Again be realistic about your needs.

~~~~

Why the MBA works for me:

I have a Mac Pro, which is the most powerful than all the Mac lines. It's got 4TB of RAIDed space, 18GB of RAM, a GTX 285 card, and a Bluray burner. It runs best encoding HD videos and rendering 3D animations. Aftereffects, and final cut runs like butter. Ergo, it can do everything, except portability.(You're stuck at your desk.)

Should I consider the highest end MacBook Pro to solve the problem? Maybe, but lets look at this again.

I spend most of my computer time at home. 80% of that time, I am webrowsing, 20% I'm actually doing something productive, like video editing, programming, and use a bunch of high end programs.

Those 80% percent of my non-productive tasks are wasted cycles on my 8-core MacPro. An analogy would be like driving an F1 race car 80% of the time to go to the grocery store while its best 20% is competing in a race track.

As a result this is powerhouse is wasting energy just to do light tasks.

I also have an iPad and it is what I use every day since then. My MacPro is now mostly off and only gets turned on when doing something productive like encoding Bluray rips or Photoshoping, etc.

Why the new MacBook Air appeals to me is that 'it is the better iPad'. My iPad can't run Xcode. The MBA is essentially the iPad hardware with the full OSX functionality.

I care less about the 64GB of SSD. I use the iPad as console to my Apps, and so I will use the MBA as terminal for temporary work which eventually gets pushed to my MacPro for actual productive work. I also use Dropbox to transfer documents, or use my 16GB usb drive to carry my Xcode projects.

Overall, I get the portability and still be able to use it as a very lightweight productivity and leisure. This is why I am getting it instead of a MacBook Pro.

2. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

LOL...you start on your iphone - try to do work. Get frustrated.

then you move to ipad - get some work done but got frustrated.

then you move to macbook air - getting some good good work done.

then you move to macbook pro - getting work done faster.

then you move to Mac pro - getting work done at F1 speeds!!

moral of the story - VROOM VROOM!!!!