Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oclor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Boston
So I just got a MacBook last week and have been all over the internet trying to search for accesories. I wanted a case/sleeve, some more RAM, and ascreen protector. What pissed me off is that everytime i put anything into a search engine about the MacBook I get MacBook Pro stuff. In the good old days when I had an iBook there was no mixing up that with a powerbook. So i got to wondering why they changed the name in the first place and I remembered that Jobs said they wanted to get the "Power" out of the name because the old processors consumed too much power. That makes no sense however since my MacBook now gets the same amount of battery life as my old iBook, and also burn my thighs because its so hot. So why did they change the name?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
He didn't say anything about wanting to get rid of the power.

What they wanted was the name "Mac" in all of their computer models. Apparently some people would hear "PowerBook" and not know that it was a Mac, so they wanted to fix that.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
That, and although PowerBooks weren't originally powered by PowerPC processors, people tend to associate the word "Power" with "PowerPC" these days. So out with the PowerPC goes the Power name.

oclor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Boston
I remember in the keynote he emphasized how they wanted to get the "power" out of their, but now that i think about that maybe he meant he wanted it out because it was Power PC. But yea your explanation was mentioned aswell and makes sense.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I wish the MacBooks had more distinct names, like iMacBook vs. MacBook Pro or MacBook Mini vs. MacBook Pro.

As things are, saying "MacBook" might been either the smaller models or a generic word for both.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
iBeard said:
He never said that.

Steve Jobs at the MBP introduction: "It's a new name because we're kinda done with power, and we want the Mac name in our products."

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
WildCowboy said:
Steve Jobs at the MBP introduction: "It's a new name because we're kinda done with power, and we want the Mac name in our products."
Three purposes were met:

1. Add "Mac" for better brand recognition.

2. Remove "Power", further severing the connection to PowerPC.

3. Shake things up. A newly named line of Macs garners interest.

Also, it's silly of us, but it's human nature that if you own an iBook, you're more likely to feel your hardware needs upgrading when iBooks are replaced by MacBooks than if Apple had issued "new iBooks".

iBeard

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2005
WildCowboy said:

well....

there you go. :eek:

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
imacintel said:
when did powerbooks not be powerd by ppc?
They were always accompanied with PowerPC processors, except back fifteen years ago when Apple switched from Motorola 680k processors to PowerPC processors.

The MacBook Pros have Intel processors.

And to the OP, maybe searching for "MacBook -pro" would help?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
imacintel said:
when did powerbooks not be powerd by ppc?

From the introduction of the PowerBook (the 100 in October 1991) until the first PPC PowerBook (the 5300, introduced in August 1995), PowerBooks ran on Motorola 68000-series processors.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
WildCowboy said:
From the introduction of the PowerBook (the 100 in October 1991) until the first PPC PowerBook (the 5300, introduced in August 1995), PowerBooks ran on Motorola 68000-series processors.

ahh..i see. But doesn't motorola make PowerPC?

EDIT.OHH. I see now.IBM in partnership with motorola makes PPC.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
imacintel said:
ahh..i see. But doesn't motorola make PowerPC?

EDIT.OHH. I see now.IBM in partnership with motorola makes PPC.

Almost everything you ever wanted to know about PPC (and some things you didn't) can be found on Wikipedia...

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
dr_lha said:
That, and although PowerBooks weren't originally powered by PowerPC processors, people tend to associate the word "Power" with "PowerPC" these days. So out with the PowerPC goes the Power name.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but all of the chips since at least the 603 processors were "power" processors. Apple has been using these since the Mid 90's. I remeber looking for a computer after college and getting a power pc based performa.

I would have to say that all of the powerbooks have always used a "power" chip. I think it would be more appropriate to state that the powerbooks only used the "G4" or 4th generation "power" chips.

Someone beat me to this. sorry

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
mojohanna said:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but all of the chips since the 603 processors were "power" processors. Apple has been using these since the Mid 90's. I remeber looking for a computer after college and getting a power pc based performa.

I would have to say that all of the powerbooks have always used a "power" chip. I think it would be more appropriate to state that the powerbooks only used the "G4" or 4th generation "power" chips.

Yes, but Apple had PowerBooks before the 603...

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
i thought that "Powerbook" was one of the most creative names for a notebook ever. :D but MacBook is growing on me, and i guess i will have to get used to it. :D MacBook = new hotness. powerbook = old and busted.

:D:D

S

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
Oddly enought, the first models weren't just "PowerBooks."

They were "Macintosh PowerBooks."

That's right: No PowerPC chip, and they had "Mac" in the name.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
mojohanna said:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but all of the chips since at least the 603 processors were "power" processors. ....
The PowerPC 603 was not the first PowerPC processor. That honor goes to the PowerPC 601. As others have said, The first PowerBook was introduced October 1991. The AIM Alliance of Apple/IBM/Motorola was formed in 1991 to design and build single-chip versions of IBM's POWER 1 processor chipset. The first PowerPC-based desktops--the Power Macintosh 6100/7100/8100--were not introduced until March 2004. The first PowerPC-based PowerBook was the PowerBook 5300, which was introduced in August 1995. It was based on the PowerPC 603e. This was nearly four years after the introduction of the first PowerBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.