why the new battery in 17" but not 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrklaw, Jan 8, 2009.

1. mrklaw macrumors 65816

I thought both were apples 'pro' line, what with the 'P' in the title and everything.

I can understand them holding off on the 17" if they are sourcing LED screens etc, but new battery and matte options (for pros according to schiller, well kick 15" owners in the balls why don't you) means size isn't the only difference, which it should be.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You do realize that the same kind of battery in the 15 would give you less charge time because it would be smaller. Realistically the 17 will give you 6 hours of work so the 15 would give you 4.5 - 5. At that point its not long enough to eliminate the need for extra batteries.

3. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

They could also be seeing how it goes over with consumers.

Look at the matte screen option in the 17" -- maybe after they see if it blows up or not then they'll offer it in other computers. I sure hope so.

4. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I think it's mainly because the new battery won't hurt the 17" too much, since most people who have a 17" use it as a desktop replacement as opposed to carrying it around everyday. And if they really needed extra battery, they could use the external batteries (or a solar powered backpack :p) that are around. So the 8 hours is good when you carry it around occasionally...but if you wanted to carry it everyday and use it past 6-8 hours, then maybe a 15" is better or external batteries.

15" and 13.3", however, are supposed to be portable. In that case, most people will be carrying them around and might be without a wall socket past even 6 hours.

The Macbook Air should have a removable battery in my opinion...my guess is that since it only gets a realistic use of 3-4 hours with that internal battery, having a removable battery would probably only give it 1-2 hours which is kinda useless.

That's just my thoughts, though.