Why the New MacBook Line?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by STxMacUser, Jun 8, 2012.

1. STxMacUser macrumors member

STxMacUser

Maybe Apple is onto something with the introduction of the New Macbook line of notebooks.

If Apple continues the successful line of MacBook Pro notebooks with the "older" features, (ODD, hard disk drive, ethernet connectivity), and add to its product line a futuristic New MacBook series with "modern" features, (retina display, SSD storage, WiFi only), then they create an ability to cover many price points while maintaining strong sales of their current notebook lineup.

This strategy may protect the interruption of strong sales of the 13 and 15 inch models that are currently in place while allowing for a methodical shift to the future product lines. This is a defensive strategy but would allow Apple to introduce a new product line, (new Apple products always seem to create a buzz in the Apple community which results in high sales volume), while maintaining strong sales of historically successful products.

New Apple users may be created with the new lineup as they tap into existing markets by creating new price points without having the appearance of cheapening their products. Whatever Apple does...quarterly sales growth will more than likely continue a constant upward trend.

2. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

I don't see it. If the name MacBook comes back, I think it'll be to rename the MacBook Air line. Apple has never been in the business of offering middle of the road solutions that embrace old tech.

3. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Great minds think alike. :)

I think next week that is exactly what is going to happen. I started a thread on the MBP line getting phased saying exactly what you are here.

There is no reason to have three lineups of thin models in the future. The current Mbp line will continue in the short term.

----------

That is not what he is saying, the new Macbook line would be the new 'high end' line.

Or the current Macbook Pro line for 2012 will be renamed. Either way the new models will be the new 'high-end' models.

4. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

IF this so called new line actually comes to be...

I don't actually like this move. I don't see it filling any kind of gap, but to me it's more of a step to the side. It's easiest to shop in your desired category (i.e. notebook computers) and then have good, better, best options. If the new line has entirely different features then it makes you wonder what kind of target market Apple is really going for. Give every entry in the line retina, SSD, and other wanted hardware.

I don't see anything "pro" about the specs on the 13" MBP so I'd like to see the 11" and 13" MBA become the standard MacBooks, and the 15" and 17" thicker designs would occupy the MBP line. The "MacBook" line needs to remain ultra thin while the Pro line needs its bulk to really differentiate between the two; 3/4" MBPs would be really nice.

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yikes, your post reads like some kind of business proposal :D

That MBA going to good use no doubt :)

6. STxMacUser thread starter macrumors member

STxMacUser

I don't have an MBA....(but I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night) :D

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Apple already has a modern line of laptops with no optical drive, no ethernet port, and SSD-only storage. It's called the Macbook Air and they've already said that they think it's "the future of notebooks".

I think we're just going to see incremental improvements to the Air, maybe even something big like a retina display. There's no need for a "Macbook" or even a 13" MBP that doesn't have dedicated graphics since they already have the Air line as a modern consumer oriented laptop.

8. chanyitian macrumors regular

I believe that new line, if combined with proocessing power of the pros and portability of the macbook airs, will attract many consumers, including me. However, will APPL keep 3 macbook lines at a time? steve jobs doesnt like to confuse consumers with too many choices.

----------

I actually want to see 14 inch macbooks. They are popular in asian markets.

9. MimiHome macrumors newbie

MimiHome

For a new generation of users, MacBook may seem like a new concept. I am in my 40s and Apple products are totally new to me. I thought MacBook was something really new. I have always heard good comments about using a Mac, I just never really paid attention to the "product lines."

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apple is very clever at making money. Somehow they've decided this is a good move. Only time will tell.

I have no desire to second guess them. It will either work or it won't. If it fails it's no loss for them.

Apples got an obscene amount of cash. That's why they can do anything they want, anytime they want, and still laugh all the way to the bank :)

11. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Hopefully this is true. More options from apple is never a bad thing. You'll be able to pick a laptop that better suits your specific needs.

12. mac jones macrumors 68040

Oh Yeah? I've got you beat. I've been sleeping in a Holiday Inn Express for the last 15 days. (no joke)

note: A dump is putting it mildly :D