Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
We already know they are using the U processor of Intel, why weren't them using Kaybe Lake U processors that are already available? (Dell XPS for instance)

I get it that the more performance based ones aren't ready until Q1 2017.

talkybear

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
Thanks, I guess more reason for Apple to move to their own architecture so they can fully develop their machines without supply chain constrains.

There is always supply chain constraints, as nothing is made by one company entirely. You always use parts and materials from other companies.

kucharsk

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
There is always supply chain constraints, as nothing is made by one company entirely. You always use parts and materials from other companies.

Except when it comes to CPU architecture, you're kind of hamstrung to Intel's schedule unless AMD somehow gets back into the game.

Oppenheim

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2015
It was a bad decision in my view.

Kaby lake is far better in terms of power efficiency and for USB-C. Attempting 4 USB-C ports on a Skylake is a bit hacky. Kaby a far better fit for what Apple are trying to achieve.

Instead of being first to market with Kabylake, Apple were last with Skylake. Dell have had Skylake machines for sale since 2015.

Apple should have held off till Jan.

Then again, the amount of pent up demand for new MBPs was ginormous. There's a 6 week wait for the new MBP. Profit won.

kucharsk

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
Then again, the amount of pent up demand for new MBPs was ginormous. There's a 6 week wait for the new MBP. Profit won.

So, if you're Apple, and you have a runaway success that's also going to have huge Christmas sales numbers, how precisely was not waiting a bad idea?

Reactions: Impatientmac

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
And as far as I know, Kaby Lake versions available come with intel HD graphics and not Intel Iris.
So even on the lower end 13inch, which has a 15W processor (15W kaby lake are available to manufacturers). If apple would have opted for it, they would have to settle with Intel HD Integrated Graphics. I would much rather have a slightly slower processor but better graphics.
[doublepost=1478391852][/doublepost]As far as the touchbar models are concerned, the Intel chips, these models use are not available in 7th gen

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
It was a bad decision in my view.

Kaby lake is far better in terms of power efficiency and for USB-C. Attempting 4 USB-C ports on a Skylake is a bit hacky. Kaby a far better fit for what Apple are trying to achieve.

Instead of being first to market with Kabylake, Apple were last with Skylake. Dell have had Skylake machines for sale since 2015.

Apple should have held off till Jan.

And miss Christmas... yeah right.

Reactions: hj576
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.