Why the new MacBook Pros weren't shipped with Kaby Lake?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asoksevil, Oct 28, 2016.

1. asoksevil macrumors 6502

We already know they are using the U processor of Intel, why weren't them using Kaybe Lake U processors that are already available? (Dell XPS for instance)

I get it that the more performance based ones aren't ready until Q1 2017.

2. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

All other companies are Apple's guinea pigs.

3. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

the obvious reason- profits,

and because they can

Kaby Lake will make for a nice 2nd gen,

4. asoksevil thread starter macrumors 6502

5. talkybear macrumors regular

There is always supply chain constraints, as nothing is made by one company entirely. You always use parts and materials from other companies.

6. kucharsk macrumors regular

Except when it comes to CPU architecture, you're kind of hamstrung to Intel's schedule unless AMD somehow gets back into the game.

7. Oppenheim macrumors 6502

It was a bad decision in my view.

Kaby lake is far better in terms of power efficiency and for USB-C. Attempting 4 USB-C ports on a Skylake is a bit hacky. Kaby a far better fit for what Apple are trying to achieve.

Instead of being first to market with Kabylake, Apple were last with Skylake. Dell have had Skylake machines for sale since 2015.

Apple should have held off till Jan.

Then again, the amount of pent up demand for new MBPs was ginormous. There's a 6 week wait for the new MBP. Profit won.

8. kucharsk macrumors regular

So, if you're Apple, and you have a runaway success that's also going to have huge Christmas sales numbers, how precisely was not waiting a bad idea?

9. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

And as far as I know, Kaby Lake versions available come with intel HD graphics and not Intel Iris.
    So even on the lower end 13inch, which has a 15W processor (15W kaby lake are available to manufacturers). If apple would have opted for it, they would have to settle with Intel HD Integrated Graphics. I would much rather have a slightly slower processor but better graphics.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2016 ---
    As far as the touchbar models are concerned, the Intel chips, these models use are not available in 7th gen

10. jjlannoo Suspended

The high end processors that apple would need are not even out until Jan. Apple would require a time machine.

11. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

And miss Christmas... yeah right.