Why the new Nano is so wrong...just put my 'finger' on it!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by fewlio, Sep 10, 2010.

1. fewlio macrumors member

Ok put my finger on it is a pun since putting your fingers on it is a big part of the problem!

But visually...it has a curved black bezel.

A). Was the bezel necessary? It'd look better without it.
    B) if it must have the bezel, then either the bezel should be square to match the square edges of the nano case, or else the edges on the nano should be curved to match the bezel. The latter would probably look best.

The visual design is clearly off. Beyond that, a touch interface begs for two handed operation so you can use your fingers and not thumb. Notice how Steve Jobs used it at the music event unveiling. BUT one handed operation requires the use of your thumb...and in this type of usage a nano with a 'thumb' wheel (scrolling wheel) is much easier and less fatiguing to use when scrolling lists.

2. xraytech macrumors 68020

I disagree.

I use mine as a wrist watch and I use my index finger. Navigation is effortless in the wrist watch configuration.

3. fewlio thread starter macrumors member

You just made my point. What you describe requires the use of more than one arm...but there are many cases when you need to use only one hand...like driving. I'm wearing a watch right now and there's no easy way to access the face of the watch while steering.

4. xraytech macrumors 68020

You use your thumb, I use my index finger.

Let me rephrase.

I prefer swiping up/down and left/right over the click wheel. And yes, I agree that for single handed operation, the only way to navigate is the thumb.

5. tigress666 macrumors 68040

When I played with one in the store I never felt the need to use more than one hand... I just cupped it in my hand and used my thumb to navigate. Just came naturally to me.

And was much quicker and more accurate than the fifth gen's clickwheel to tell the truth. It was much nicer navigating around on it.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm pretty sure Apple does not want careless people and children cutting themselves.

7. fewlio thread starter macrumors member

Ok just hold on now. You use a scroll wheel and you keep your thumb moving in a circular area, and you continually make progress going up or down your list...there is no starting at the top or bottom on a touchscreen, flicking in the opposite direction to scroll, and then briefly stopping while you move your thumb or finger back up or down to repeat the process. There is wasted movement and not only that, it is herky jerky compared to a smooth pleasing circular motion. And I absolutely know what I'm talking about as I have wheel iPods and an iPad with the iPhones style iPod software. So I'm saYing since ya gotta use your thumb to navigate any nano one handed, then a scroll wheel is more efficient. Apple is putting on touch only to unify the interfaces on their devices, not because it is better or easier to use. It's a fair compromise for PDA functionality on iPhones and iPod touches...but theres no way in hell it's better for one handed music navigation on a small music device. Also, using two up down buttons for controlling volume sucks compared to the precision adjustment of the scrollwheel. Not sure why they don't implement a virtual scroll wheel.

8. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

They didn't implement a virtual scroll wheel probably cause it'd break from their 'iOS' look-alike system, and people would think it pointless to get rid of it in the first place, more so than people do now.

A scroll wheel isn't always more efficient and it can also be less precise. I was testing how long it took me to find a song halfway down a list on both my iPhone and an old iPod photo and the iPhone won everytime, but only cause of the shortcut letters on the right hand side that the iPod didn't have. Yes I do know that the more recent iPods had the shortcuts, but for actually finding a song, I still think a touchscreen might be faster, if not more fluid. When actually playing a song and wanting to change it from your pocket, we all know that the hands down winner is a click wheel.

9. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

On long lists on the Nano there is the alphabetic list on the side of the screen. Touch the Z and you are instantly at the bottom of the list.

10. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, you prefer the scroll wheel. I prefer touch. I think there is far less wasted movement. Not constantly scrolling through a list to find what you need. instead, touch a spot on the side bar to get to the general area, flick down a few spots, voila, there's my song!

Or just touch the menu you want, no scrolling and constantly moving my thumb to get to the menu I want. Even better is I can move the menus I move the most to the most convenient areas so I can just hit them and go. Not always having to scroll down to the bottom cause that's where they happened to put the menu I want.

The only thing I'd give you the scroll wheel is better for is volume, but even then I found it awkward sometimes. Put my hand on it to change volume, accidentally hit a button, and all the sudden scrolling didn't change volume but either was moving amongst my song list (cause I accidently put it back on that) or change my position in song (because it changed the mode from volume to scroll through the song). Which was really annoying when I was just trying to change volume without taking the nano out of my pocket. Which is why in the end I prefer hte remote with the volume buttons, since they are dedicated volume, I don't have to worry that they might change something else instead!

And I'm so glad they didn't do a virtual scroll wheel. All the annoyances of the scroll wheel without it's one big advantage (tactile feel) and the bad stuff of the touch screen (no tactile feel) combined! That's a horrible idea! The biggest advantage of the scroll wheel was the tactile feel. You get rid of that, you keep the fact you can't feel what you are doing with the touch screen but you keep the awkwardness of using the scroll wheel.

So, sorry, you may prefer the click wheel. Doesn't mean I don't find the touch screen far better to navigate. And really I prefer the remote on the headphones to the clickwheel. Really not a huge fan of the clickwheel in general.

And yes, I say this after the 3rd gen nano was my first ipod and I eventually got an iphone. I immediately preferred the iphone's ipod interface to find songs over the scroll wheel (but at the time apple did not have a remote for the iphone/touch so I still preferred having physical buttons for walking around which is why I kept the nano despite having a far better ipod player. I will say the nano is still superior for just walkign around or excercising, especially with it's newest incarnation, mainly cause of its size and form. Which Apple made far better in this newest version, and actually deproved when they moved away from the third gen form and back to the stick form).

11. fewlio thread starter macrumors member

Yes once the song you want is on the screen then just touching the name of the song can be faster than scrolling to it and clicking the button. But the way I see it, virtual scroll wheel could be turned on and off, and perhaps wouldn't have to be visually represented on the screen at all. So you could scroll and tap and combine the two methods as you see fit. With apple things are often forced on us with no choices available, no options or compromises for different user groups.

I usually don't know exactly what im looking for so I scroll around until I read something or see an album cover I like.

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I wouldn't know since mine is still in transit and it shipped 4 days ago :(

Thanks Fedex. So much for paying $16 for 2 day shipping...

13. tigress666 macrumors 68040

That's why I usually just fast forward til something hits my fancy ;).

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Apple is hooked on touch. If you're not, I don't know what to tell you.

I only wish they'd done a 6:10 ratio with six icons on screen.