Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2011
i can understand why Apple brought a phablet size phone to the market, but what I can understand is why they have forced everyone to go large with the standard iPhone 6.
I personally though the 5/5S was perfect in size, it was small enough to fit in jacket pockets, shirt pockets, easier enough to use one handed even for smaller handed people. Now the 6 does do any of the above really, unless you like you phone sticking out of your pockets, or you like getting thumb ache when using it single handed.

im a big bloke, 6 foot 5 and I have very large hands, and I'm finding it difficult, just doesn't feel comfortable at all now. I know about the double tap to bring the screen down, but it just all feel unbalanced. You don't even want to know what the wife has said about her's lol

Very disappointed that Apple have chosen to follow the crowd.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
i can understand why Apple brought a phablet size phone to the market, but what I can understand is why they have forced everyone to go large with the standard iPhone 6.

Because ultimately, they caved to all of the really vocal people on these forums and social media constantly saying that Apple "needed to step up their game" with bigger screens.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I personally though the 5/5S was perfect in size, it was small enough to fit in jacket pockets, shirt pockets, easier enough to use one handed even for smaller handed people. Now the 6 does do any of the above really, unless you like you phone sticking out of your pockets, or you like getting thumb ache when using it single handed.

im a big bloke, 6 foot 5 and I have very large hands, and I'm finding it difficult, just doesn't feel comfortable at all now. I know about the double tap to bring the screen down, but it just all feel unbalanced. You don't even want to know what the wife has said about her's lol

Very disappointed that Apple have chosen to follow the crowd.

Have you gone to the Apple Store and demoed the new iPhones? Many people who were replacing their 4 and 4S went with the Plus! I could not believe it but then I spend around 20 minutes with the Plus too and that the one I am going to order! I had a 5S and thought it was the perfect size too! Go and demo them and then you can voice your opinion. At the Apple Store; most people choose the Plus; not the 4.7" model! It seems it should be the other way around but that why they are out of stock in the "+" model!

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
I think you are right.

If we remember Samsung first release big phones and then they got the Samsung Galaxy Mini with a screen of 4.27

Apple could easily sell 3 different types of phones, right now they are selling 4 types of phones, they could have released a new iphone with the same size as the 5.

People will decide what they want and if Apple see that there is place for a 3rd new phone they will build it.

New ipads are coming on October 21 and some news sites say that there will be a new ipad of 12.9, it they are correct we will have 3 different sizes of ipads.

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Have you gone to the Apple Store and demoed the new iPhones? Many people who were replacing their 4 and 4S went with the Plus! I could not believe it but then I spend around 20 minutes with the Plus too and that the one I am going to order! I had a 5S and thought it was the perfect size too! Go and demo them and then you can voice your opinion. At the Apple Store; most people choose the Plus; not the 4.7" model! It seems it should be the other way around but that why they are out of stock in the "+" model!

The reason why the plus is hard to get is because of stock levels being tiny compared to the 6. Nothing to do with the majority wanting the plus. It's a small market in the West, it's designed for the Phablet lover in the Far East.

No need to demo them, I'm only interested in having a practical screen size. Don't get me wrong I can easily reach round the screen but it just doesn't seen balanced at all, plus the practicalities of the pocket problem.

Following the competition isn't really Apples bag, but seems they are now following trends instead of setting them. It's a shame I've have every model of iPhone and this is the first time ive picked one up and had seconds thoughts about the for factor.

I think you are right.

If we remember Samsung first release big phones and then they got the Samsung Galaxy Mini with a screen of 4.27

Apple could easily sell 3 different types of phones, right now they are selling 4 types of phones, they could have released a new iphone with the same size as the 5.

People will decide what they want and if Apple see that there is place for a 3rd new phone they will build it.

New ipads are coming on October 21 and some news sites say that there will be a new ipad of 12.9, it they
are correct we will have 3 different sizes of ipads.

They could have just stuck with two screen sizes. Remember when they were resisting going too big with the IP5 launch, even mocking the compilation about larger screens.

Here's the ad http://youtu.be/O99m7lebirE lying sods lol

Last edited:

youradhere4222

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Purely business. 90% of consumers don't mind a phone slightly bigger than the 5/5S. Without making this move, consumers would have slowly switched to Android.

The other 10% may find the phones too big, but they don't really have too much choice do they? Apple previously made some of the smallest phones on the market, and even it's new 6 is still one of the smallest flagship devices out there. If you're really chasing a compact device then you're at the very least going to switch to or stick with one of the older iOS devices before switching to a 4.7" iPhone 6.

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Purely business. 90% of consumers don't mind a phone slightly bigger than the 5/5S. Without making this move, consumers would have slowly switched to Android.

The other 10% may find the phones too big, but they don't really have too much choice do they? Apple previously made some of the smallest phones on the market, and even it's new 6 is still one of the smallest flagship devices out there. If you're really chasing a compact device then you're at the very least going to switch to or stick with one of the older iOS devices before switching to a 4.7" iPhone 6.

And your source for 90% of customers wanting a larger is?

I received six handsets yesterday for my staff, all 6's so come Monday I'll ask them all what they think, And not one of them had previously said they wanted a bigger screen. Two had even moved across from larger Andriod screens and said they preferred the smaller form factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.