Why the obsession with clean install?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by rye9, Jul 20, 2011.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

So I've been searching these forums and the interwebs for the past 15 minutes trynig to decide how to get Lion this evening after work... and it seems that many people on here are opting for the clean install route.

I'm developing the impression that it's the "techie" way to do it, but it might not matter too much? However upgrading may cause my machine to be slow... although I can't fathom it'd be too large an issue considering that's the way Apple intends people to install Lion, no?

What would cause the machine to be slow using the traditional DL and upate method? Is is risky/difficult to conduct a clean install? I use a backup HD and time machine so I have data backed up if I clean install; and I am reading that Migration Assistant is used for this as well (I think?...)... but I'm not too familiar with the idea of a clean install in terms of keeping old data, etc. So what does a clean install do then for me in terms of old files... I guess I am curious as to if I'm going to transfer all of my data/settings over anyways... why wouldn't my machine POST-TRANSFER be "slow" as it would after an upgrade?

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

no need to do a clean install ... update will work fine

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I downloaded and will be doing a clean install when I get in tonight.

There isn't necessarily a "need" to do a clean install, but some such as myself just like to start fresh.

4. scooterguitar macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat, thinking I'd like to do a clean install.
    I need to take my iMac in for warranty due to a splotchy screen...Think maybe I should just wait and let the service center do a clean install and such?