Why the price difference in Canada???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by worky, Apr 7, 2011.

1. worky macrumors member

Just wondering why there is a $100 difference on the base 13" MBP in the U.S. and in Canada. I realize that the Canadian dollar was much lower several years ago, but right now it is actually slightly higher than the USD. Just wondering if Apple will eventually correct this price difference (as I believe they just did in Australia with certain products), and if not, is there a way I can get it with the U.S. pricing? Maybe another retailer in the U.S.?

I also live right across from New York State on the St. Lawrence river. I have a friend who ordered clothes from Hollister which will not ship to a Canadian address so she put the shipping address as a UPS store in New York state. Any one in Canada have experience doing this? I assume I would just have to pick it up then declare it and pay the Canadian taxes upon crossing the border. Anyone with experience with this please let me know.

Thanks

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Once the duty and brokerage fees apply, you'll end up paying more, not including your time and gas you spent going to the US.

Not worth it.

3. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Yeah not worth buying from the U.S. as the price difference is small.

The price difference could be attributed to Canada's small population.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. dayinalife macrumors newbie

dayinalife

I agree. There's also a potential issue with warranty coverage. I bought my MBP at Staples and it was shipped from Vancouver in a week. A 3-year extended warranty on top of Apple's standard 1 year cost less than an Apple 3 year plan. You can also defer interest/payments for 6 months with a Staples credit card, or for 1 year at a cost of $45. The downside versus ordering from Apple Canada is that you can't customize but there's always the option of installing after-market RAM or an SSD, which I plan on doing.

Why the price difference in Canada? Didn't you know Canadians were 2nd class citizens? :D

5. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Still minimal compared to Australian difference of $200-$1000 depending on the machine, heck if you wanted a expensive machine we could travel to the US for the weekend buy the computer pay taxes and have a nice dinner.