Why the red ball does not quit the application?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stchman, Aug 17, 2012.

1. stchman macrumors 6502a

Hello all.

Every OS I have used, when I click the red X in the upper right or left corner, the application quits.

In OS X after I click the red ball in the upper left I still have to go to the dock and right click to quit the application. What gives?

Is there a setting somewhere in OS X?

Thanks.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No setting. That's just part of the fundamental way OS X works. You can also use Command+Q to quit an application instead of going to the Dock to do it.

3. stchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Then what function does the red dot serve? Just to make the GUI disappear?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yep, more or less. I was confused 6 years ago when I first switched to Mac, but I've grown accustomed to it and don't even notice it anymore.

5. simsaladimbamba

Mac OS (X) is DOCUMENT based, not application based, thus closing one window of a multi-window application does not mean, it should close the entire application.

Also know, that quitting via Dock is unnecessary. I never did it in eight years. CMD+Q is quicker. Or :
    [​IMG]

----------

The GUI does not disappear, only a window of a multi-window application. Take a look at System Preferences, it has only one window (and no possible others), thus clicking the red circle closes the window and application. Doing the same in Safari or TextEdit (multiple windows possible) will not quit an application. Btw, if you have 4 GB or more RAM and are not a RAM heavy user, leaving an application running in the background is not a problem, thus changing back to it is quicker.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

6. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

It depends on the type of program that you are using. Generally, in a document based app, like Word, the red dot closes the document. In a single window app, like System Preferences, it quits the app.

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Further to that, some applications are single window; eg, iPhoto and iMovie. Closing the window from these applications using the red dot, will quit the app.