Why the small keyboard?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zacster, Dec 31, 2015.

1. zacster macrumors member

I just bought a 27" iMac and the one thing that bothers me is the tiny keyboard. Why does a monster computer have a compact kb? What space are they trying to save? The monitor already dominates the space.

I have a full size KB from my prior iMac that will work much better, except it is wired. It'll do for now.

2. Butchie-T macrumors regular

If you don't like it, sell it. I have the Logitech wireless keyboard K750 and really like it.

3. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

I don't mind the small keyboard, but I HATE that the function key is all the way to the left on the bottom row. I used to be able to invoke Alfred by hitting the leftmost key and the space bar. Now, I have to look at which key I'm hitting first. What's worse, the function key doesn't seem to be mappable to other keys, I can't get BetterTouchTool to utilize it. Unless there's a terminal command that does it for you.

4. thedeske, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015

thedeske macrumors 6502a

There's not a darn thing wrong with a wired keyboard or a full sized keyboard.

As to why? Keep in mind, apple shipped one of the worse input devices ever created - the Hockey puck (M4848) with all Macs for almost 2 years - including the top end Desktops. Why?
    Do I need to spell it out for ya?
    What Apple supplies does not fit all. Happy Typing ;)

5. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

I like the Bluetooth keyboard.....doesn't take up a ton of my desk space and the keys feel nice and solid to the touch.
    Making it rechargabke was a sweet improvement.

Only thing I'd like to see is a numeric keypad.

6. torquer macrumors regular

If Apple took the full size aluminum keyboard and made it backlit, wireless, and rechargeable with a lightning cable I'd be all over it. For now the Magic Keyboard 2 works well for me due to limited desk space and the fact that I have 2 computers (and 2 keyboards) in a space designed for 1.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hate the keyboard that came with the iMac, its small, the spacing is different as is the the key travel, and there's no numeric pad.

8. Pclaesen macrumors newbie

As an acountant, I really hate the fact that Apple does not produce their own numeric wireless keyboard. I really like to have everything designed the same, so a non-Apple wirelles numeric keyboard is a no go for me. I bet there would be tons of people that would buy a wireless numeric Apple keyboard.
    I have no idea why they still haven't produced one yet...

9. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

I'll be ordering the Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (wired) for my new 27" iMac...not a fan of that tiny little keyboard! :mad:

10. MadDane macrumors 6502a

They used to make a wireless keyboard with numeric keypad. However, that is probably 8 years ago or so since it was discontinued. I have both the wired numeric keyboard and the previous Bluetooth keyboard. I never use the wireless one. I by far prefer the wired one with the keypad.

I think Apple highlights the smaller one simply because it goes with their style. Smaller, thinner, lighter. But in my mind I think it looks almost comically small compared to the giant 27" screen. As you can tell - I am not a fan of it either :)

11. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Since the introduction of USB, Apple hasn't offered a practical keyboard or mouse.

It's been "all in for style", with little thought for function.

And I haven't -used- an Apple keyboard or mouse in years (decades).

Just buy the third-party keyboard of your choice (and mouse, if you wish), and use that instead.

12. zacster thread starter macrumors member

I took my little keyboard and put it up against my full size wired one, and the letter keys are all in the same position on that side. There is extra room for the arrow keys to have a separate bank, and home, end, page up/down, forward delete. The bottom row has larger control/option/command keys, a larger space key, but the big KB lacks a fn key on the bottom, instead in the middle bank. The function keys are also smaller. And then there is the 10 key. There are also keys going to f19, but where do these get used?

The big KB is also angled up more, the little one is almost flat against the desk.

What both my wife and I are finding though is that we don't put our right hand in the correct position.

All that said, I still haven't plugged the big KB in even though it is sitting right next to the small one.

13. tomwvr macrumors regular

tomwvr

I use the wireless apple keyboard with a numeric pad attached- I like the key response on the apple keyboard. I do not like the magic mouse - so I use a logitech m555b mouse - it has left and right buttons and is wireless bluetooth.

14. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

It's really great and you never have to charge it, if your iMac isn't in a room without light.

I have it in that color option: :D

Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 03.52.43.png

15. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

Matias tactile click, only 20 more than the magic kb 2

16. Butchie-T macrumors regular

Too bad it did not come in strawberry!! Mine is the boring white one but I like it just the same. :p

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I forgot about Matias, I'll have to check them out again, and get a proper keyboard for my iMac :D

18. zacster thread starter macrumors member

My wife just plugged the big keyboard back in, and it does feel better to me.

19. dyn macrumors 68030

It is done for ergonomic reasons. The keypad on the right has to fight for the same space as the trackpad, mouse, tablet or whatever pointing device you have for more than 90% of the users (most people are right handed and use a pointing device on the right side of the keyboard). That means that the pointing device and/or keyboard will not be in line with your body. This causes physical problems, usually with ones shoulders. It is for this reason that many people with shoulder issues are being issued with these smaller keyboards.

For lefties this issue might not even exist (or be as big) since they are more likely to also use the pointing device on the left (that side does not have the obstructing keypad).

20. Pclaesen macrumors newbie

Never looked at it this way, thanks for pointing that out :).

21. tomwvr macrumors regular

tomwvr

Im a lefty and the mouse is on the left and the numeric pad is on the right - its perfect. When i was a kid being left handed allowed me to run a grocery cash register better then a right handed person.

22. WilliamG macrumors 604

Doesn't explain why the new Magic Keyboard's up and down arrows are such a travesty. Tiny, and unresponsive unless you press in the middle of them. A real shame.

23. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

Nonsense.

It's done because Jonnie wants it small and thin instead of user friendly and more functional. :confused:

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sorry but that sounds whacky, do you have any write ups on how the lack of the numpad increases the ergonomics? I mean if it really was an improvement on ergonomics, don't you think everyone else will be copying apple? Even apple sells a keyboard with a num pad.

I agree with ^^BigMac, Jonnie wanted a small keyboard.

25. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

I wish Jony wanted full-size arrow keys. Gaming on this thing sucks.