Why the SR MBP turns blueish?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Mar 8, 2010.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. Anybody knows what is wrong with my SR MBP (summer 2007 model)?
    I had the motherboard replaced over a year ago due to NVIDIA GPU problem.
    The problem appears occasionally. It disappears by rebooting the system. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We cannot see the pictures that you store your computer. You'll need to upload them to a source that's accessible to the internet.

As for your problem, it certainly sounds like your GPU is going south. While apple has fixed the GPU issue on your MBP, they did so with the same GPU which has an inherent defect meaning that it will fail at some point.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you checked your colour profiles under System Preferences > Displays > Color?

Btw, you need to either upload your images to an image hosting service or use the attachment function under Additional Options below the text entry field while making your post (or using the Go Advanced button while editing it).

As of now, your screen shots are still on your Mac, thus inaccessible to us.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the advice on uploading the photos. Hope you can see them now.

Given my problem, is it worth to ask Apple to exchange the motherboard again? I am concerned that even Apple replaces the motherboard for me, it may be worse than the one I have right now.

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

That's probably the color profile being randomly changed. Going into Sys Prefs -> Displays -> Color usually fixes it immediately. I haven't found a way to prevent the problem, but you can try repair permissions (in Disk Utility) and repair color profiles (open ColorSync Utility, click the first aid tab, and click the Repair button). I have had this problem (not as frequent recently), as have others here, and as far as I know no one has found a 100% fix. It's not a hardware issue.

6. kolax macrumors G3

Other quick fix is to sleep the display then wake it again (press CTRL+SHIFT+EJECT). I had this problem sometimes when unplugging an external display.

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

What caused the color profile being randomly changed? If it is not a hardware issue, I better not to ask Apple to exchange for a motherboard as they are going to give me a refurbished board with the same defective GPU (which could be worse). Right?

8. ibizarocks macrumors regular

I have this problem as well. Happens to me when my laptop backlight goes off which in some instances can turn my screen a blueish tint when it comes back on. Always rectifies itself if the same happens again or I go to sleep mode and wake it up again.

9. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I have no idea what causes it. As far as I can tell it's completely random and happens sometimes after waking from sleep or resuming from screensaver.

10. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Just curious, do users of other MBPs (after the SR) have this problem?

11. m85476585 macrumors 65816

12. JacaByte macrumors 6502

How does the display connector hook into the motherboard? I don't remember if it's a modified ZIF socket or an actual clip, but does anybody think reseating that would help?

13. dynamod macrumors newbie

Early 2008 MBP Blue Tint

Hi

I just saw this and thought I'd mention my recent experience with this.
    I had this same issue with my Early 2008 MBP (I think it's a Penryn, but it's a while since I bought it). I have a dual screen setup on my MBP, so I found it really noticeable as it only appeared on the internal screen. I found that as mentioned earlier in the post, going to the colour calibration screen in the display control panel sorted the issue.
    As I had a genius bar appointment about my faulty superdrive I mentioned it to the genius, and showed him a photo of it, although he could not replicate it, having put it to sleep several times, he felt that this could be a hardware issue.
    He was not however able to identify what would be causing the issue (graphics or display), so put the machine in for the repair for this issue to cover a new logic board and display with clamshell.
    I got the machine back yesterday, and I have not seen a recurrence of this issue yet, but it's only been a day. Sadly the display they replaced mine with had a column of stuck pixels, so apple are replacing my machine as I've had several other repairs. It will take at least ten days for apple to get my machine replaced as it has to be custom built, so I will see how this issue goes over this time and see if the hardware changes have stopped this from occurring.

14. gogot macrumors newbie

Hey dude,

I had the same issue with an old Dell (previously to having my mbp). I took ages to figure out the source of the problem. No one seemed to understand why only the blue film was appearing over the display. The cause was a bad connector from the display to the motherboard. It was not a defective mb or GPU. This defect is mostly due to closing and opening the lid too often. They just replaced this connecting cable and everything worked fine

Cheers

15. m85476585 macrumors 65816

This issue isn't caused by a bad connector, since going into the color settings fixes it immediately. Though a bad connector would cause a similar-looking effect.

I don't think it's a hardware problem at all.

16. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I should add that sometimes I got the purple tint as well.

17. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Has Apple revised the motheboard with non-faulty GPU?

I sent my MBP to the Apple Service Center 10 days ago. The girl who handled my case told me that it might be due to the faulty Nvidia GPU. She said that the technican needed to run several tests before deciding whether or not change the motherboard. I told her that some of you have had motherboards replaced several times but still have video issues. I asked her if Apple was going to replace the motherboard with one which has the same faulty Nvidia GPU in it again. She told me that Apple has done something to improve the board and that there should not video issues again. Just got a note from the service center. They apologized for the long delay because they needed to run though several tests. At the end, they ordered some parts for me. I asked them if they were going to replace the motherboard with the same faulty GPU, their reply was "we ordered a new logic board which included GPU for you." Has Apple really revised the motherboard with non-faulty GPU?