why the touch shipped early (in the us)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by voi666, Sep 14, 2007.

1. voi666 macrumors member

hi,

just a thought:

the touch shipped early because they will prob. announce a 16gb iphone on their london event next week (which will come to the us eventually) and want to sell some ipods before everyone wants to get a 16gb iphone instead (with all the unlocking and stuff going on right now).

what do you think?

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

3. jacktiernan macrumors regular

You might be right,
    but as i posted in a different thread, official word from apple seems to be that international (non-us) requires tweaking of wi-fi settings, apparently due to different channels in different countries.

So, they might be manufacturing them in lots, with enough USA ones to satisfy initial demand coming off the factory line first, then they will move on to other countries.

But, hey, i might be wrong. I hope i am.

Here's hoping for a touch next week! :apple:

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Isn't 802.11a/b/g/n/blah an IEEE international standard? I think so. No tweaks necessary.

5. voi666 thread starter macrumors member

that's what i thought, too.
    my wifi devices work overseas just as fine as here in europe.

edit: changed spelling

6. mari0 macrumors member

But are there not different WIFI strengths for different countries?For example when I set a pc up with a wireless card it asked witch country I was in....Correct me if I am wrong though!

7. voi666 thread starter macrumors member

i've ordered hardware from the us before and i works just fine. no idea why the touch shoudn't.
    maybe it violates some kind of regulation or something, but it works.

thinking about it: maybe i've already killed a few hospital patients with my us wifi :eek:

8. mari0 macrumors member

Haha!! Good old strong American everything including WIFI! Seriously don't come through the NHS hospitals in the UK with your WIFI you probably would turn off the whole entire hospital!

9. sanford macrumors 65816

Really I'm just betting they're launching the iPhone as is in some EU countries. If they could have had a 2G/3G phone ready that they were happy with next week, they could have had it ready two months ago. But as it is, it still would be thicker and have much shorter battery life. I think the big deal might be they worked out some deal the closet to locking a handset to a specific carrier as you can in the EU, or are only launching in EU countries that by law allow locked handsets.

I know. I know. Everyone says EU won't tolerate 2G just because Apple likes the battery life and slim form factor. What's always Apple's answer to these situations? We will make them tolerate the limitations because they want this product so much.

Obviously a 16GB 2G iPhone will show up in the States. Probably after Christmas, and they'll just drop the 8GB. 3G in the States, end of 2008, when there is enough 3G coverage to matter.