Why the wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by er15, Jul 16, 2012.

1. er15 macrumors member

Seriously in all honesty what is taking Apple to update the iMac? I mean all they have to do is basically update the CPU and GPU and I'll definitely buy the machine. I really do not want to pay 2012 money for last years models.

I don't understand why aren't the iMacs been updated? If when the 2012 iMacs are released and the only thing that is 'updated' are the CPU and GPU I would be pretty annoyed waiting for so long only to have minor updates.

Seriously if the iMac isn't redesigned or they aren't new features, I think it's fair to say number of users will ask, "what was that about? why so long for spec updates?"

I do not understand what Apple is trying to do. If it is just tiny spec updates and the wait for those machines have already been so long then number of users will be pretty pissed. In reality the updates to newer GPU/CPU should already been done...

/rant over:mad:

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I refer you to one of the dozens of other threads on this topic. :cool:

Of note: If they planned to use the Nvidia GTX 680M in the top 27" iMac this year.. well, that card only JUST started shipping. Like, last week, or maybe a few days before then.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The way I see it, there are only three logical reasons
    1. There is no redesign and a particular part is in short-supply, like the GPU.
    2. There is a redesign to a high-resolution screen and a particular part is in short-supply, like the panel or a GPU.
    3. Apple dedicated their resources into the MBA and MBP refresh and need a bit of time to finalise the iMac and Mini refreshes

There is a third,not-so logical, reason:
    3. Apple delayed it for xxxxs and giggles.

----------

An iMac with a 680M, regardless of whether it got a higher-resolution screen or not, would make me regret my rMBP purchase.

4. Gaiduku, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

Gaiduku macrumors member

I quite like the idea of the last one. Would be kinda funny if the guys at apple spend all day on the macrumors forums laughing at all our rants.

"Hey Tim! Someone's made another iMac delay topic!! You gotta see this rant it's hilarious"

5. er15 thread starter macrumors member

I just have this fear Apple's rise to the top so quickly under Steve will now lead to their fall with Tim, especially how it's been going lately.

6. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

They're waiting for you to read the dozens of other threads already running on exactly the same subject.

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The doom & gloom around here is, frankly, hilarious. Oh noes, Apple is "late" with the product I want, obviously they'll be bankrupt in 6 months!

8. er15 thread starter macrumors member

Nothing lasts forever.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

How has it been going lately? Seems like it's been going pretty damn great.

----------

True, it does not mean that Apple will topple over in 6 months. There was a time, when Steve Jobs was in charge, that Apple computers used very outdated processors, disregarding the Mac pro. The, "let's use Intel's latest CPUs every year" is a fairly new thing for Apple.

10. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

A late train does not mean an earthquake will swallow the train station imminently.

11. er15 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I didn't say it will topple in 6 months time, just that I am not sure how Tim will do incomparison to Steve. Apple has done great in the last 5 years, so lets see the next 5! :)

----------

If you are assuming that I think that Apple is going to topple by not releasing the iMac, well then you're wrong.

12. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I refer you to hundreds of posts round the forums just like yours. ;)

----------

Hmmm . . . must be an important subject then, huh? ;)

13. er15 thread starter macrumors member

Same subject? Mind showing me?

14. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Sure. Here you go.

[​IMG]

15. Gaiduku macrumors member

A lot of these topics have been probably a bit doom and gloomy and really.... it has only been a month since the WWDC. It's probably reasonably likely that apple just didnt want to overwhelm everyone by releasing everything at once and have always intended to release the new imacs with ML

However, my worst case scenario is that this delay is all part of Apple's plan to become more and more mobile. You can see this elsewhere with a lot of emphasis on the Macbook line and also with iOSification of Mac OSX. These aren't all Tim Cook's doing and are probably ideas that began with Steve Job's.

For many this isn't a bad thing but for me its just not what I want from a computer and it may cause me to switch PC.

Like i said... maybe this is all over thinking it and everything will be fine