Why the ****** won't someone code RecBoot for PPC's???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by neoninsanity, Jul 23, 2010.

1. neoninsanity macrumors newbie

neoninsanity

Edit: *deleting post*

My roommate loves his iPhone (except for the times when he can't figure out how to use it).

These usually occur after he's been drinking heavily!

Then the little rascal gets on the computer and goes bananas.

It's quite adorable, unless of course he's using my account.

Bad roomie. Bad!

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

So you're mad at Apple because:

1. You installed an operating system that really isn't suited for the 3G on the 3G.

2. Someone unaffiliated with Apple didn't code their app for a PPC computer

3. You didn't call Apple to see if you could send the phone in or bring it to an Apple store to let them install os4 on it.

PS. #3 is what I would do in your shoes

3. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

From the RecBoot developer's website:
    The fact that the author doesn't have a PPC-based Mac on which to test is a perfectly acceptable explanation for him not being able to support it.

But the source code is available on open source terms. Incidentally, do you have any system-level coding experience? If so, then your opportunity to contribute back to the community is at hand: be a hero and make the necessary modifications yourself.

Alternatively, have you read this HOWTO which the author says describes a method of using RecBoot on OS X 10.4, an unsupported operating system? He also theorized (but obviously is unable to confirm) that following this method *might* allow you to work with PPC Macs as well.

4. Jolst macrumors newbie

I understand your 2. and 3. point, but the 1st? Really?
    You're saying that he shouldn't have installed an update, which Apple officially supports on his device? Sure, the update might not have all the new features that Apple has provided for the 3GS and the 4, but at least they support it. Also, now that all the apps are being updated for iOS4 (which in some cases makes them unusable on anything lower than iOS 4), only makes it more logical to update.

So tell me, in what way isn't iOS 4 suited for the 3G?

5. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Maybe if you contact the author he would be willing to try and write the code and allow you to beta it for him. If his only limitation is a test machine he may be willing to do the coding. Just a thought.

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

worth a shot.

or better yet the OP could save the bad attitude, learn to code and use the available source to make it compatible with PPC

7. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Apple has always had the "pony up some money and get with the program" attitude. Its just that you happen to be on the other side of it this time.

I'd find a local who has the kind of rig you need.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I can install OSX on a very old, pre-G3 Powerbook, but it would be very sluggish because that machine doesn't have the RAM or processor to run it efficiently. I can do it, but the experience would be very frustrating and using the Powerbook would be very annoying.

Maybe if there were an os4-only app or game that he really wanted, but currently there are hardly any that don't have os3-friendly alternatives.

In the end, the OP should call Apple because this issue stems from installing their software, but I find it hard to believe the OP doesn't know anyone with a MacBook.