Why the world should switch to OS X on all desktops

Discussion in 'macOS' started by saltyzoo, Dec 3, 2008.

1. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

No, it's not the usual "windows sucks" thread. There are perfectly legitimate reasons to run windows.

But, for the love of God, there are two things that are driving me insane about using both OS X and Windows at the same time.

1) I never, ever, ever, ever can hit the right Control / Command key to copy/paste etc. No matter which computer I'm on I hit the opposite key that is required.

2) At least twice a day I try to re-size or close a window and move the mouse to the wrong side of the window to click the buttons. Doesn't matter which OS, I'll do it wrong either way.

For these reasons we should legally mandate the sole usage of one OS for desktop computers and, of course, it should be OS X.

And if we don't do it soon I may have to be committed.

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

You're absolutley right - I mean, what WOULD the world do without saltyzoo? :p

3. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

So... We should go from one monopoly to another? Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense.

4. MrMinor macrumors 6502

I bet you are a whole lot of fun at parties ;)

I am a recent Mac convert and I know what you mean. I still use windows at work and am now constantly hitting the wrong keys or going to the wrong corner to close things out.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

You get used to it. I use a Dell PC all day at work and Macs at home. It's been like this for over 4 years now.

The only thing I've found myself doing a couple times in Windows is pressing the space bar for Quick Look.

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

My own personal variation of this thread is: we should all use OS X or Linux and sell Windows to our enemies.

This idea was actually invented by me on Linux comfortably using Thunderbird mail (& also applies to OS X Mail) for approx. 20 minutes before my colleague could actually log in and start using Outlook after everything loads :D

I use Ubuntu at work and really found myself scanning around my PC for a trackpad to perform new MB trackpad gestures :D

7. No1451 macrumors 6502

Nice, but what you're describing is fascism, might as well say that because I prefer skiing to snowboarding that snowboarding shall be replaced by skiing.

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I hope to god that doesn't happen. I like the hackers, and virus programmers ignoring os x. If this did happen then we would have a lot more spyware/nasty stuff to worry about. :D Yay for being the minority!

9. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

On your xbox ;)

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Or better yet.. on your Wii. ;)

12. No1451 macrumors 6502

No games on my Xbox, I own the 360 and my PC is far superior.

LONG LIVE WINDOWS!

13. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

Yuck. Jaggies everywhere. No thanks.

I'll pass. Unless the Wii can play Crysis.

14. svndmvn Guest

Don't worry, people, Steve Ballmer and his friends know the troubles we're going through and they're working on it.
    Little steps have been made with Vista, Windows experience will be even closer to what OS X is for us thanks to 7. Give it a couple of years and you'll only be able to resize the window from the lower right corner, minimize/close from the opposite one, have a Dock, have a better Expose', spotlight, it's all almost there, isn't it?

15. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

^
    Heck, Windows 7 already has "Spotlight" and a "Dock". All in all, this is a pretty ridiculous thread.

16. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

The shortcuts. I use CMD+H to hide things all the time.

The Dock as well - I hate the Windows taskbar. Cluttery and just annoying.

CMD+TAB - I know Windows does this, but the CMD key is in a much better position to do this (thumb + 3rd finger) as opposed to CTRL+TAB which is awkward.

17. saltyzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Well duh.

18. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I just noticed that you have a ridiculous avatar. Aauuugh! I'm surrounded by ridiculousness!

To the post three above this one: Agreed, Windows keyboard shortcuts are ridiculous.

19. iAppleONE macrumors member

I think the most important and annoying thing is when u try to use gesture commands in windows...4 fingers for expose in windows (vista or xp would be like "I'm a pc")

20. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Wish I could say the same- I still find myself doing Mac shortcuts at work. Or at least, trying to...

21. saltyzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

It's actually gotten worse for me. When I first switched doing things required more conscious effort, once I became more comfortable I started screwing up more.

22. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

As far as number 1 goes I can feel your pain. At my last job I was on OS X, Win XP, Solaris, and IRIX. I could never keep any short cuts straight.

23. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I remapped the cmd/alt/ctrl keys in leo so i dont have to worry about it. I use a non-apple keyboard, so i rearranged the keyboard shortcuts so winkey+D is the desktop thing of expose. Thats pretty much it. I would love to move the 'quit' shortcut somewhere else. I cant tell you how many time i reach up to do a cmd-A so select everything and i end up quitting the app.

24. tony4d macrumors member