Why there hasn't been a new Apple TV yet...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by iHobby, Feb 10, 2014.

1. iHobby macrumors newbie

Why there hasn't been a new Apple TV yet...

SOFTWARE

* The UI needs a complete update to handle Apps, yes like iOS

BUT

* The UI and the Apps need to be designed, adjusted or tailored to work for a 10 foot interface style and the methods of control worked out

* The App Store for Apple TV needs to contain Apple TV specific apps only to create the best customer experience and I'd wager all this time has been (and continues) to rewrite key apps to be amazing on a 32" or larger screen with a HDTV aspect ratio, properly scalable graphics, and reworked layout.
    Look for AT LEAST 50-100 Apple TV 4 10 ft. interface ready apps at launch.

* These apps will definitely include 'channels' as we have now but improved and likely to be more uniform in UI.

* When searching for a show or movie, like the Tivo, will find the content and tell you which service has it for streaming, rental or purchase (maybe Apple will buy CanIStreamIt) and let you pick and play immediately.

* A Live TV App could allow you to see what Live TV options each other app offers to you in one place and to 'flip' live channels. The live content NOT available would be shown as an color muted option with the chance to add service or app from within the Live TV app.

* The Apps could be divided by what you do with those apps:
    * See (video content, TV/Movies)
    * Hear (Music, audio podcasts, white noise)
    * Play (Games)
    * Communicate (FB, Twitter, Google+, FaceTime, iMessage,
    Instagram, Pinterest)

* Know (weather, sports scores, stocks, Flipboard, Maps)

I believe Apple has also been holding out for more content arrangements and to figure out how to incorporate more Roku/Plex level choices without killing iTunes content sales. Amazon does both content sales AND a Netflix style streaming service. Apple needs to offer a similar service or partner with streaming services.

HARDWARE

Also, to run the next generation TV settop box requires more horsepower.

Responsiveness to user interaction, better buffering, smother graphics transitions require not skimping on processor, RAM and buffering storage.
    A new Apple TV would work well on current iPod Touch hardware with maybe a little more graphics processing thru a separate onboard chip.
    One of the biggest frustrations with current settop boxes is the slight delay between selecting options and other interactions when we've been accustomed to instant responses from our smart phones and tablets. Also, an App Store and environment require far more storage than the current AppleTV offers. This won't mean the Apple TV size radically changing...maybe an extra 1-2 inches.

My predictions (with a sprinkle of hopes thrown in) for the Apple TV 4.

CONTENT/MONETIZATION

Maybe a partnership with Aereo to get local programming......

Maybe a partnership with content providers (give them a very small piece of hardware sales as an incentive, ad revenue, customer consumer profiles (MINUS names and addresses, more demographic info and content choices), a measuring tool for ratings measurement.

What do you guys think?

2. mic j macrumors 68030

I think you're living in la la land if you think a new aTV will come even close to your predictions. Sorry.

3. ABC5S macrumors 68040

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I dont think they will do anything that takes away from iOS device sales, sounds like your ideas skip needing an iPad

5. iHobby thread starter macrumors newbie

Not necessarily...

Both iPads and iPhones could offer numerous ways of interacting with the UI of my proposed Apple TV 4. From acceleratomer, to camera and touchscreen as well as microphone.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

but it interacts already with the current model

7. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

You have too much empty time on your hands. Really.

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Why would apple TV have games and ios apps like iMessage and facetime? Where would a camera come from?

You really need to consider what the point of apple tv is. If you want to play games or facetime someone grab an ios device.

9. 2010mini macrumors 68040

rofl

10. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I agree something needs to be done, the endless addition of channels is certainly welcome but icon after icon after icon whether you want it or not is irritating. App store is needed ASAP. I'm fine with the hardware, software needs a reboot. I could careless about gaming on it. The current hardware handles any current media just fine, just need some serious software updates.

11. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I could see an automatic categorization of the apps (categories of TV channels, paid streaming services, free streaming services) as an OS enhancement, especially if they keep adding. I don't see what else they can do with the hardware, it already outputs 1080p, what more do you want it to do? OK, maybe add 802.11ac. Hell, I feel like my ATV2 works just fine. Buffering is more than fast enough (I have 30 Mb down for my internet) unless Youtube gets throttled by my provider.

12. institute macrumors regular

Still amazed that people don't know that you can hide channels. Go to Settings > General > Restrictions.

13. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I've done this myself, but to be fair it's very counter-intuitive to use mature-content restriction controls to delete unwanted icons.

All mature-content controls I've used prior to the Apple TV automatically hide content based on the content's rating, so I would never think to use them to delete entire channels. Using mature-content controls to hide icons is also unlike any other Apple device, so this method is neither common in the industry, nor is it an Apple convention.

The method does work perfectly and I'm happy with it, but I'm not at all amazed that people don't know about it. I'd expect people wouldn't know about it.

14. Ka Ora! macrumors regular

Nexus TV vs Apple TV vs Amazon TV other major vendors are taking an walk in this direction Apple knows it has to pick up the pace. When you have an app store and a hardware base that can be adapted for it it's a no brainer. Google are doing it Apple will have to counter or potently get caught on the left foot.

15. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I think Apple knows what the experience should be, they simply ran into a brick wall with the cable companies/content provider negotiations. The stranglehold is too strong for Apple to get what they wanted, so the product is much delayed. At this point I think Apple is lowering their expectations and executing on a plan C or D. Bad news for everyone but the cable companies.

16. Ka Ora! macrumors regular

Apple should consider getting an Apple TV out the door that supports apps pretty quickly the market is quite heavy with Android TV devices that support Google Play.

17. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yeah, this is a big one for me. In addition to just adding more content, there needs to be a centralized way to find what you're looking for. Is this content available on my local computer, iCloud, Netflix, Hulu, ABC, etc.? Shouldn't have to go into each one individually.

18. mcarling macrumors 65816

I think the 4th generation Apple TV will support apps, including games, and also 4K iTunes movies. I don't think FaceTime on Apple TV makes sense because of the need for a camera. To support all this, the hardware upgrades should include an A6 or A7 CPU, 1GB of DRAM, 16GB or 32GB of flash storage, 802.11ac, HDMI 2.0, and Gigabit Ethernet. It should all fit in the same case.

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The current model is plenty capable for what it needs to do now. The main question is when will they support 4K? I think it is time myself. To do that, they will want to base it on the 64-bit A7.

20. Ka Ora! macrumors regular

They need to put the hard drive back in it, they cut the cord for the need to have iTunes with the iPhone if the Apple TV could become the centralised place for media that would be cool. Don't see it happening mind

21. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

And if Apple TV is your only Apple device? You might as well say, "Why include an Apple Remote, just grab an iOS device."

The "blue sky" goal of Apple TV is to make an all-in-one - cable box, game console, media player/storage, etc. Most people hate component systems - put it all in one box, like an old-fashioned boom box or all-in-one stereo system, and the world will beat a path to your door. It doesn't matter that a component system is "better" - the electronics industry numbers have always skewed strongly in favor of all-in-one. For that matter, it's a good part of the success of iMac.

From Apple's standpoint? It's another way to get a first Apple device into the home. Another new iTunes Store customer. Big-screen gaming customers. Apps not only bring games through the door, but control of connected-home devices, banking, photos, maps... Obviously, if you already have iOS, you already have most of this. If you don't...

22. macUser2007 macrumors 65832

Aereo is kind of pointless waste of $10 per month. Cable integration is bleh to those most interested in ATV (cord cutters).

I'd rather have the App Store for third party apps for ATV, then we will have a meaningful choice and it will resolve most people's complaints. If your cable co wants integration, they'll just provide an app, as TW and HBO GO do now.

Also, support for more codecs out of the box.

Update the UI to take into account the possibility of more tiles from such an App Store. Give us the ability to change the order of tiles and to hide the ones we don't want, including the top row ones from Apple.

23. chuges macrumors member

they could put a facetime camera on the front of the apple TV. I know it wouldn't work for 100% of setups, but many people have a TV stand/media storage box/mantle close to their TV that it could rest on.

the camera component is pretty cheap if i remember correctly; if only a fraction of ppl end up buying an apple TV because they want a large screen VC unit, the cost would be worth it in the end

24. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Can be.....

anything, from GUI redesign to update in the processors that drive the AppleTV. Even a redesign on the form factor or near-completion of talks to bring in media can affect a niche product....

Reading too much in inventory management, the recent push of Apple to sell the AppleTV can be seen as a way to deplete the inventory and make room for new toys.....;)

:):apple:

25. linds15 macrumors 6502a

granted you cant change the top row, you can currently hide and move the tiles