Why there is no wireless version of Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Aug 29, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

It has been a few years already. How come there is still no wireless version of Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad?

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Can't answer that - you would have to ask Apple. However, there are several third party keyboards with the numeric keypad that are wireless and are identical to the Apple wired model. I have two of the wired Apple keyboards with the numeric keypad but prefer the smaller wireless model. Looks better and fits better on my desk. :p

3. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

Apple is done with numbers. they are like 5400 years old. just as with Fire Wire, ports, etc. it's time to let go and move on to the next thing.

4. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

that made me laugh...go Apple!

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

There used to be. I even have one. According to MacTracker, they were sold from 9/2003 to 8/2007.

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

or an ergonomic keyboard? Still blows me away that a supposed progressive company has straight keyboards.

If one relaxes their hands on a table, the wrists aren't straight. lol

7. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Apple has decided for us that we don't need one. Apple is law. (yes, sarcastic about Apple's arrogance)

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Because Apple don't make one, whatever the reasons are, its just a keyboard, if Apples offering isn't for you use something else, it's not rocket science.

9. theluggage macrumors 68030

...would be nice, but I guess the overlap between "want a wireless keyboard" and "want a large keyboard with numeric pad" is too small to make it worthwhile. Personally, while a wireless mouse is a must, I can cope with a wire to the keyboard & the USB hub is useful (perfect for a wireless mouse dongle).

This looks like a credible replacement for the US: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-mac?crid=27 - this looks interesting too: http://www.kanex.com/keyboard

...annoyingly, Logitech seem to have dropped the white/silver Mac-layout version here in the UK. Not a lot of choice of "proper" UK-layout Mac keyboards over here - using a Mac US, or UK PC one (which is somewhat different to UK Mac) wouldn't be the end of the world but its just different enough to be annoying if you're also using regular UK Mac keyboards.

10. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

So, that means Apple is done with numbers AND Numbers?

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

OK, here is a picture of the discontinued wireless keyboard with numeric keypad, undoubtedly they did not carry it over to the aluminum designs because of poor sales. Also shown is the wired aluminum keyboard without numeric keypad, which got axed after a short sales life. The wired keyboard with numeric keypad (and wireless without keypad) live on and I've got them as well. If you want something else, there are plenty of third party keyboards around. I still use my 1989 Northgate Omnikey/102. You don't need a Mac specific keyboard and even my Omnikey still works even though it uses a DIN connector adaptor to PS/2 and then an adaptor to USB. IMG_0816.jpg

proof it is indeed an Apple wireless keyboard: IMG_0817.jpg

12. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

Ha ha. Tell that one to a concert pianist.

13. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Sorry I meant to ask why there is no aluminum wireless version of Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad.

14. EliasM macrumors member

Why that is, is something only Apple can answer.

Personally, I would prefer there to be a wired keyboard without the numeric keypad. I don't think keyboards should be wireless (they don't move much anyway) and I rarely use the numeric keypad, so that would be ideal for me. I would also like a wired trackpad (don't use a mouse) - again, it never moves around so why make it wireless?

15. theluggage macrumors 68030

I remember these: http://www.macworld.com/article/285...harkens-back-to-the-days-of-touch-typing.html (file alongside A4-portrait sized monochrome monitors).

Problem with all input devices is that they're a personal choice. Really, you need to go to a store and pick from a decent range of mice and keyboards to find one that suits you (especially true of ergonomic stuff: one person's ergonomics is another's instrument of torture). I think Apple's policy is to produce a small range that looks good. Personally, I like the current wired keyboard & the trackpad, but I'd rather gnaw off my own hand than use one of their horrible mice (but some people seem to like them...)

Wish they'd bite the bullet and switch to a "proper" ISO UK keyboard layout in the UK, though. What they've done is bizarre - I could understand it if they'd been lazy and just swapped the "#" for a "£" but they've gone to the trouble of physically changing the shape of the Enter... and then left most of the symbols in their US positions (amongst other things, totally losing the '#' key). Its like they copied the keyboard from a fuzzy photo of a UK keyboard and didn't notice the symbols had changed. (Sorry - personal gripe: I've spent a lot of time hopping between Macs and other systems & also use Linux - modern Linux UIs are a royal pain with a UK-Apple keyboard).

16. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

There was (see above Why there is no wireless version of Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad?) but apparently it didn't sell well enough. While there is no good reason to have a wireless keyboard on a desktop, they are useful for media center computers to type from across the room and to simplify docking of notebook computers (Mac "clamshell mode").

17. venom600 macrumors 6502a

I am typing this on the Logitech K750 right now. Fantastic keyboard, with two caveats. First, it isn't bluetooth, so you have to use their (tiny) dongle. Second, it needs a lot of light to stay charged. I work in a dark office, so at times I'll literally have my iphone flashlight pointed at it because the app that tells you how much light it is getting constantly says the energy reserve is getting low.

18. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Buy this...

IMG_0641.PNG
    And the twelve south magic wand.

19. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I agree, there should a wireless version.
    I just bought a new 27" iMac. I had to grab my "old" aluminum wired Apple keyboard with numeric pad.
    The new wireless is too small, too cramped. Maybe I should take it back to Apple for a "new" aluminum wired Apple keyboard with numeric pad.

20. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

or buy this
    Logitech K750 Full-Size Wireless Solar Keyboard for Mac
    [​IMG]

21. mdbradigan macrumors member

mdbradigan

Fwiw - I have the black version of this keyboard and it is excellent. If looking for a wireless with 10-key (am a programmer, so radically prefer 10-key), this is an excellent version.

22. ignatius345 macrumors 6502a

Because most people prefer normal straight keyboards, and if some freaky humped or split keyboard was on offer, about .001% of people would choose it as an option. Also because nobody is stopping anyone from buying one of a million of those things out in the market.

23. Florpy macrumors newbie

Florpy

Why is there not one? Probably lack of demand.

Personally, I love tenkeyless keyboards and never want to go back to a full-size one. They're just too damn big and I never use the number pad.
    Buy the NewerTech external keypad. It's on sale at Other World. right now.

24. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

the current wireless keyboard and trackpad work quite happily with their lightning charging cables permanently plugged in (which is more than can be said for the current mouse - who in their right mind puts the charging port on bottom of a mouse???)

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because apple is about shrinking sizes and using less space.

Why make such a tiny keyboard in the first place. FWIW, I don't even use the wireless keyboard, its just too small, and the lack of a numeric pad, is a show stopper for me.