Why there potentially could be a new refresh in 2011 again.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark28, Apr 28, 2011.

1. mark28, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

mark28 macrumors 68000

Intel is going to introduce SSD caching for the Sandy Bridge Z68 Express-chipset. ( and thus also for Ivy Bridge chipsets next year ) It's better than the Seagate Momentus XT, because the SSD size Intel will use is 20 Gb at a very low extra cost ( around $50 ).

If a laptop edition comes ( there is no mention of this coming to laptops yet ), it might be reason for Apple to come with a new Sandy Bridge MBP that have this SSD caching?

This would be really perfect for me, since I don't want to use Optibay.

If not, it's sure good news for Ivy Bridge next year which could use this same technology of the high end Sandy Bridge chipsets.

Boot times and large file transfer will be faster with a dedicated SSD ofcourse. Here is an article about it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z68-express-lucidlogix-virtu-ssd-caching,2888.html

2. Blipp macrumors 6502

Why would they refresh Sandy Bridge mid-cycle with Ivy Bridge and a rumored redesign just around the corner? People are already saying they want to wait for the 2012 redesign and it's only been 2 months since the latest refresh. A mid-cycle refresh would be pointless for Apple as anyone who knows enough to want to wait for these features is smart enough to and better served by waiting for the Ivy Bridge redesign.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's possible, but seems Apple is content w/ once a year updates. Seems like it really depends on when Apple will get supply of mobile Ivy Bridge procs. Now that the goose is out about the cosmetic changes I'd guess people would skip a refresh if they can wait a few more months for a complete make-over and next gen chip.

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I'm sure this will not happen. I don't think Apple has released the same product twice in a year...that'd just cripple them financially.

5. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Pretty sure they've done exactly this across many products.

Looking at the Buyer's Guide, they updated the MBP twice as recently as 2008 - and a whopping 3 times in 2006.

The average update time is only 215 days.

I too am thinking there will be an update this year yet. Dunno if it's for the reasons the OP states, but just past history.

6. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Won't happen. It's all about the iPhone5 right now and iOS 5.

New macs will hastily come in 2012 (With very little fanfare again). Once iLion is done they'll be glad to get back to Apple's real bread and butter.