Resolved Why Time Machine backs-up so much when nothing has changed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Akarin, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Akarin, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

Akarin macrumors 6502

Akarin

Hi all,

I have a little question regarding time machine (and yes, I am new to Mac). I noticed that every hour, it does its back-up on my external 1TB drive but... ...when nothing has changed (and I mean nothing as I was not using it), it still backs-up about 15GB of files. Why is that? Isn't it a differential back-up based on filesystem that would just copy the new/updated files?

Thank you for your answers.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Are you not using the computer at all?

Do you have a virtual machine running during that time?

3. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

It make sense for TM to run a backup even when nothing has been done, it's scheduled to do so. Something does seem up though if it's backing up that much. 15GB is a huge backup for me even when I have been using my mac. If it I haven't been the backup is usually only a few MB.

4. Akarin thread starter macrumors 6502

Akarin

Nope. Nothing.

Not doing anything at all. For example, I left it on this night, did nothing, nothing running, no downloads in progress and I manually backed it up before going to bed. This morning, I log in (it was still on), I click on "back up now" on the Time Machine icon in the status bar at the top and bam : copies 15GB. Is it strange?

5. ctucci macrumors regular

Same here, but I do run a VM. I've always assumed TM had detected changes in that big VM file.

I don't suppose it could be something like the equivalent of a large email database file ( like the one outlook 2011 for mac uses )? Something that could change frequently enough just by normal automatic email program checking?

6. Akarin thread starter macrumors 6502

Akarin

It's exactly that ! My Outlook 2011 db is about 15GB and I have tested this:

- manual back-up with Outlook closed: ±1MB
    - manual back-up after receiving ONE mail in Outlook: ±13GB

I wouldn't have thought of that but you nailed it. Thanks for that. It is not a problem as I don't mind my external drive running and copying, I only use it for back-ups but I wanted to know why :p

7. ctucci macrumors regular

Glad to contribute!

8. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Glad you figured that out. I would say exclude wherever that is saved or, better yet, just use the mac mail application. works better and doesn't have that problem.

9. garycurtis macrumors 6502

I have the same question. With little activity, backups to TM over a Firewire 400 cable take nearly 1/2 hour.

Most of my email is Google mail, so that's in the Cloud. But I have Apple Mail (OS 10.5.8). Which are the data files there to exclude (including the complete path)?

Thanks