Why to burn CD/DVD on Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by realchimera, Sep 3, 2011.

1. realchimera macrumors regular

Ugh.... I meant to say How* to burn CD/DVD >.<

I used to use Nero in Windows to burn CD/DVD. Is there a similar software for Mac?

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

3. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

You should just be able to burn in the Finder as well. Which version of OS X do you have?

4. realchimera thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

My OS is snow leopard 10.6.8

Is Roxio Toast the best?

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...sorry I don't mean to rag on a new forum member, but c'mon, please try to do even a little bit of research to try and help yourself out a bit - even a really quick simple search of the forums and/or Google would have pointed you to the built-in capabilities of the Finder, Roxio Toast, Burn, Liquid CD...just to name a few.

As a new Mac user, maybe you'd find MacUpdate a decent resource for software in addition to Apple's App store - both searchable, but Apple's shop does not yet have *all* the options out there....oh yeah!

----------

Duff-Man says...Toast is probably the most versatile, but whether it's the best choice for you depends on your needs and/or budget. If you just need really basic stuff then the free tools of Apple's Finder (and what it does in conjunction with iMovie and iDVD etc etc) or Burn or LiquidCD may be your best choice - I say try them out before spending your money. If you need more features, then look at Toast...oh yeah!

6. realchimera thread starter macrumors regular

Google doesn't help at all. There are too many resouces online. How could I know which one is better/the best?

----------

Anyone here use Toast?

I just got Toast 10 Titanium. But the application size is 700 MB. 700 MB for a CD /w application sounds kinda insane.

7. The Norman macrumors member

After using Windoze for years and needing Nero, I quickly bought Toast when I switched back to Mac. Unnecessary. Finder, iTunes, iMovie, and iDVD collectively supplied way more functionality than I needed. There are some cool features in Toast, but I have yet to actually need them. Like virtual iso, etc.

8. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I have Toast installed. It's probably the best and most versatile of it's class. However, for general for CD/DVD burning of files, pics etc I generally use Apple'a built in burner.

9. realchimera thread starter macrumors regular

Isn't Toast free too?

10. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

No! It's $99. Unless you have downloaded a pirate copy. In which case this discussion will soon be over. We do not discuss or approve of illegal software here. So how did you get Toast 10?

11. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

No one's asked yet, what it is that you are wanting to burn to CDs/DVDs.

Want to burn data files to disc? Then just do it via Finder. Want to produce a CD of mp3 music tracks to play in your car's mp3 CD player? Use iTunes. Want to make an audio CD that will play in a cd player? Again, iTunes. Just edited some home video and want to make a standard definition DVD? Use iMovie and iDVD.

All the above comes with your Mac.