Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrusrna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2019
When I turn on true tone display on my XR, my eyes (caruncula?) will start pain in few minutes. Then I turn off true tone it will much better till back to usual.
I usually use my phone turned off the true tone, and there’s nothing happened,
I use Samsung s9+ before, it’s oled screen and even I scroll the brightness to the lowest , I didn’t feel any uncomfortable.
I’m strange because it’s oled hurts eyes in common..

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
I was never a True Tone user on my iPhone X or XS Max, because to me it made everything look urine after you take a multivitamin (lol) yellow. But I've been having sharp pains in my eyes from looking at my screen so much, I've decided to now use True Tone and haven't experienced any eye pain since...

I hear mixed thoughts on TT. Some say its better on LCD screens, some say it's better on OLED screens.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
I was never a True Tone user on my iPhone X or XS Max, because to me it made everything look urine after you take a multivitamin (lol) yellow. But I've been having sharp pains in my eyes from looking at my screen so much, I've decided to now use True Tone and haven't experienced any eye pain since...

I hear mixed thoughts on TT. Some say its better on LCD screens, some say it's better on OLED screens.
Are you referring to True Tone or Night Shift? Because on Night Shift, you can definitely go way overboard with the settings (i believe down to 2700K or so) and this is really yellow-ish. But True Tone is more subtle, so I'm not sure why your whites should be urine yellow unless you're in an urine yellow environment in the first place...

Reactions: MEJHarrison

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
Are you referring to True Tone or Night Shift? Because on Night Shift, you can definitely go way overboard with the settings (i believe down to 2700K or so) and this is really yellow-ish. But True Tone is more subtle, so I'm not sure why your whites should be urine yellow unless you're in an urine yellow environment in the first place...

I'm talking about True Tone.

I have Night Shift set to enable at Sundown and stop and Sunrise, I have that adjusted regarding the warmness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.