Why updating an iMac during Back to School offer?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by konradphoto, Sep 5, 2012.

1. konradphoto, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

konradphoto macrumors newbie

I know there are already way too many threads about when the iMac will be here. There are quite a few already suggesting that the updated iMac will be released before 21st September, for example during the Sept. 12's event.

However, I didn't see anyone discussing or mentioning the impact of the Back to School offer. I don't think new iMacs will show-up before September 21st. The back to school promo ends on that day and introducing new iMacs during this offer would be weird - I guess they would first want to get rid off the old iMacs to make as much profit on the old gear as possible and empty their stocks completely and only then introduce new iMacs; maybe even 2 weeks after September 21 (I think that's the deadline for returning purchased iMacs).

(keep in mind that iPhone is not a part of the Back to School offer so it makes sense to introduce it before September 21st, I think even new iPad mini could be introduced next week, as it's a new product anyway).

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

The BTS offer started before the rMBP came out.

Various products aren't included in the BTS offer, e.g. iPad 2.

3. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

It does make business sense to shift as many 2011 iMacs as possible before the discount period ends so they can charge full wack for the new ones later...

4. iMcLovin, Sep 5, 2012

iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Well an argument against this is that apple is a stock company and work on quarterly results. Last result was lower than expected and apple as a company strives to constantly deliver better results. The current iMac is diminishing, harder to get a hold of and many buyers are waiting for a refresh before they make the buy. Staying in this limbo situation isn't profitable for apple even to remove old stock. They want to sell as many units as possible so replacing the current with a new one today and then start the plan on how to make a next iMac that will be even better to tempt new customers is a more profitable marketing strategy than relaxing on old products. I personally think the delay of a new machine is not intentionally. Apple want to release new machines within certain natural time frames were they feel the customers are willing to replace their old. And within this strategy I assume they want the new iMac to come out as fast as they are able to at this current point.

But though maybe you are right :), apple have released iMacs the week after back to school before, so who knows maybe they enjoy squeezing money out of students to get rid of old stock if the release date is close to a back to school end date. But I would have thought selling a ton of new iMacs to students would be more profitable. Maybe they make these choices after tracking how many iMacs are left on the market in the end of a cycle.

5. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Apple will not release new iMacs the day after the Back To School promotion ends.

If they did that every iMac sold 14 days ( return period ) prior to the end of the Back To School promotion would be returned for exchange.

Now if you were a company, what would you prefer to have on hand?

14 days worth of sales RETURNED - Open & Used

-OR-

14 days worth of inventory - New & Unopened

My predicted release dates.......

New iMacs will be released in time for Halloween 2012 ...

or maybe Thanksgiving 2012 ...

or maybe Christmas 2102 ...

or maybe New Years Day 2013 ...

or maybe Valentines Day 2013 ...

or maybe Easter 2013!!!!!

:D :D :D

6. Reddmanz macrumors regular

Im hoping they do soon. My girlfriend is looking to buy an iMac (her first Mac) for Uni but I can't bare to let her until the bring out the new ones.

7. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Well it's one thing to introduce them,the other is the availability. The shipping dates can just slip one or two weeks or the pre-orders will simply start after Sep 21st.

8. Tom J, Sep 5, 2012

Tom J macrumors regular

Here's the Back-to-school promotions for the last several years.
    June 11 - Sept 21, 2012
    June 16 - Sept 20, 2011
    May 25 - Sept 7, 2010
    May 27 - Sept 8, 2009

For some manufacturers that have inventory in their channel, a promotion like this can be a good way to clear it out before new products are released, HOWEVER, Apple typically has only days worth of inventory at any given time, year-round. When new products are near release, we start to see delays like we're seeing now. (the current delays may or may not mean something, don't want to start an argument). The Back-to-school offer is what it is, a deal for students, nothing more, no hidden agenda. IMO, Apple does not time the release of products around BTS.

9. Bargle macrumors regular

The real question is: has a BTS event ever overlapped with a spec. bump?